Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
12K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Alfissimo_International 
#1 ·
I finally lowered my Stelvio Quadrifoglio. I’ve been looking at images of the lowered Stelvio QV for a while. They look sportier and more aggressive. For those who love powerful wagons, there is little to chose from, so this may me the answer.

The 2 main options are the K&N springs, 1.6”, and the MADNESS Autoworks, at 2.5”. I wanted somewhere in between. MADNESS had a 2” spring for nonQV Stelvio models. I called to ask about them. Low-and-behold, Eric at MADNESS announced a 1.75” spring—DONE. He then spent time with me discussing the nuances of the new springs, the height, stiffness, ride, etc.

Later, we talked about spacers. It seems some people are doing 17 mm all around. Those pictures seemed too far in front and left me wanting more in back. With Jeff’s recommendation I did 20 mm in the rear and 15mm in the front.

Buying, pricing, shipping, salesmanship were awesome. I had the new equipment very quickly.

Work was done in Bellevue,WA, at Cantrell Motorsports. Once again, I can’t say enough. They killed it. Thanks to Jeff and (I hope I remembered this right) Justin, my tech. They did the lowering springs, spacers, changed out my winter tires for summer, and the new alignment.

As promised, the ride is firmer. Each mode on the dial is one setting firmer. I think the handling is slightly better. That is hard to tell. The height is PERFECT. The spacers are PERFECT.

Here are some pictures.
Before:

After:

[I can’t get this last image to rotate]

See less See more
#6 ·
MADNESS has been having a great discount. (BTW, I do not work for them. I just appreciate how they do business)

you can go on their website for the discount availability
1.75” springs. $199 (nml $299)
20 mm spacers. $115. ($130)
15 mm spacers. $100 ($120)
Install took 1 and a half days and was $1650+tax.

total about $2K.

#11 ·
I finally lowered my Stelvio Quadrifoglio. I’ve been looking at images of the lowered Stelvio QV for a while. They look sportier and more aggressive. For those who love powerful wagons, there is little to chose from, so this may me the answer.

The 2 main options are the K&N springs, 1.6”, and the MADNESS Autoworks, at 2.5”. I wanted somewhere in between. MADNESS had a 2” spring for nonQV Stelvio models. I called to ask about them. Low-and-behold, Eric at MADNESS announced a 1.75” spring—DONE. He then spent time with me discussing the nuances of the new springs, the height, stiffness, ride, etc.

Later, we talked about spacers. It seems some people are doing 17 mm all around. Those pictures seemed too far in front and left me wanting more in back. With Jeff’s recommendation I did 20 mm in the rear and 15mm in the front.

Buying, pricing, shipping, salesmanship were awesome. I had the new equipment very quickly.

Work was done in Bellevue,WA, at Cantrell Motorsports. Once again, I can’t say enough. They killed it. Thanks to Jeff and (I hope I remembered this right) Justin, my tech. They did the lowering springs, spacers, changed out my winter tires for summer, and the new alignment.

As promised, the ride is firmer. Each mode on the dial is one setting firmer. I think the handling is slightly better. That is hard to tell. The height is PERFECT. The spacers are PERFECT.

Here are some pictures.
Before:
View attachment 18922 View attachment 18924
View attachment 18925

After:
View attachment 18931 View attachment 18926
View attachment 18930
Looks great! I want now.

#17 ·
Be on the look out for bump steer issues a few others have reported!

#18 ·
I've been running H&R springs w/spacers (5mm front, 15mm rear) on my Stelvio Quad for 6+ months. After reading some of the posts on this board I was expecting the ride to be a lot stiffer with the springs than it actually is. I drive the car in Race mode w/dampers set "mid" and am happy with it. It feels approx. 20% firmer than the stock springs were.

It does seem like initial turn-in now feels slightly less sharp than it did with the factory springs. This isn't to say the performance is worse (its better) it just feels a little different now. Could be the spacers causing this though. Whatever it is, its minor.

The shop I took it to for the alignment was able to get the rear camber within 1/2 a degree of the factory range and tire wear (front and rear) has been fine w/this set up.

Net/net: with the springs I can drive the car more aggressively than before and ride quality isn't noticeably worse. Its definitely more "tossable" through corners and it looks massively better.

As for bump-steer...we don't have MacPhearson style suspensions which is normally where this is felt. With a proper re-alignment it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure who's experiencing this but it isn't an issue w/mine at all.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

#21 ·
Handling seems overall improved. That is my subjective feeling. I feel much more planted especially accelerating out of a curve. Albeit, by overall experience with competitive driving is weak, but I know what makes me feel comfortable. The ride is rougher. Rough roads are not so bad. I think where I feel it the most is going slowly over a speed bump. I am not an engineer, so I may slaughter this: springs have different values for compression and decompression, and smart people know what you want for best handling for different conditions. I'lll say it like this, if I hit a speed bump a bit faster than should, it is quite harsh. On a bumpy road, it's fine. Tolerable and acceptable for the improvements.

#22 ·

Here are some pictures.
Before:
View attachment 18922 View attachment 18924
View attachment 18925

After:
View attachment 18931 View attachment 18926
View attachment 18930
I'm curious if your still running this set up. It looks great. Any issues since these 1.75" springs were originally intended for the non-qv model? I know the QV is slightly heavier and wondering how it has held up over time. Are you still running the spacers? If so, what size front/rear? Or have you changed them over time?

Thanks!

#24 ·
Hey, everyone. I have a 2022 Stelvio Quad with H&R springs. I previously had a Giulia QV and am trying to turn the Stelvio into the equivalent of a Giulia QV Touring.

The H&R springs leave the car a little high, and I’m looking to avoid compromises in ride quality while going lower. Enter my thought:

If the Giulia and Stelvio have the same platform then why would installing Giulia QV springs on the Stelvio not work (assuming proper clearance)?

How does one calculate this ahead of time and avoid improper clearance post install? I am trying to thread the needle since the Madness sport plus springs are probably too firm.

#27 ·

So mine are Madness which I had installed last summer in Austin. I would never go the way of the 2.5" drop because camber is just too much to deal with. Mine is a 2018 QV with everything. CCB, SPARCO, everything carbon and black.

I went with the lesser drop that really looks great. I have I stalled H&R springs on other vehicles and would NEVER do it again. Not only did I have a ton of alignment issues, their customer support, including management suck.

The Madness springs work great and Jeremy and the crew there are awesome in Austin. Again I wouldn't go lower than the 1.5 inch drop without a lot of additional work, money, tires, more money, etc...

As you can see from my images that 1.5" is pretty nice and she just looks good. Even Jeremy will try and coax you away from the bigger drop. I haven't had to do any alignment so far and I'm happy. I say good luck in your choice and Happy Alfaing.

Cheers,

HR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.