Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Not here. I would like to know if they are ceramic pads though.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio/Black/Ti Sport
364 Posts
Noticed squealing at about 1200 miles, two days ago. Will be checking in with my dealer if it continues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't seen reports of this but have you contacted your dealership about it yet?

car is there again now -- they've tried and failed to address twice so far.

seems they're clueless and have to phone home to Alfa mothership before being 'allowed' to attempt fixes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
is their ANYTHING about the stelvio you like? :)

car is there again now -- they've tried and failed to address twice so far.

seems they're clueless and have to phone home to Alfa mothership before being 'allowed' to attempt fixes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2800 miles on mine and have not had any brake noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is their ANYTHING about the stelvio you like? :)
ya - don't get me wrong - I do love the car - handles like a dream - awesome performance / acceleration - adaptive cruise control is a great feature

it just has a handful of annoyances -- brakes being top of the list, foggy windshield and shitty washer fluid / wiper performance while moving, and low range on the homelink -

plus the dealership not stepping up w/r/t the brakes after 3 attempts has me fairly sour at the moment

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
dealer told me the squeaking was a symptom of high performance brake pads, not something actually wrong. watch the top gear or grand tour videos of the aston marton Vulcan for examples how bad it can be.

mine squeaks when lightly braking and cold brakes. moderate braking or whenever the brakes are warm doesn't have any squeaks. Furthermore, while annoying, I can tell a reduction in braking ability when they are cold enough to squeak, so it is annoying but it serves one purpose to tell me when the brakes aren't warm enough to have full stopping power.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio/Black/Ti Sport
364 Posts
Good luck with whatever happens! It is a little warmer here in north central NC today, and the squealing was gone, and I did a fair amount of cruising this morning, so hopefully your squealing problem will disappear like mine.

(This is my 4th Alfa Romeo - give it some time to break in - and drive it like you wanna...) ?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah I get that. The fiat alfa network is very hit or miss. Some are very enthusiastic and lvoe the vehicles, others couldn't really care less it's just a side show for them. I can endorse Fiat Alfa o birmingham as being a very enthusiastic dealer, bought several cars from them, tho my Stelvio I went elsewhere because of the deal I got.

ya - don't get me wrong - I do love the car - handles like a dream - awesome performance / acceleration - adaptive cruise control is a great feature

it just has a handful of annoyances -- brakes being top of the list, foggy windshield and shitty washer fluid / wiper performance while moving, and low range on the homelink -

plus the dealership not stepping up w/r/t the brakes after 3 attempts has me fairly sour at the moment

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ours has 5500 miles on it. Rear passenger side started squealing a week ago. I think it might be because of the cold arse weather and tons of road salt?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ours has 5500 miles on it. Rear passenger side started squealing a week ago. I think it might be because of the cold arse weather and tons of road salt?

Dealership is telling me this squeaking/squealing is the normal characteristics of these brakes and there's nothing they can (or will) do...

my experience started before cold weather and has only worsened with it.

supposedly alfa is only focused on stopping the car and doesn't care about any noises - the comment was 'if you can hear them you know they're working'

using different / 3rd party pads would supposedly void any warranty and open them up to potential liability should you crash due to brake failure.

I'm pretty disappointed as its very loud and distracting - especially when you have people / colleagues in the car and it happens every time you apply the brakes

lucky us - no other luxury car on the market has this ridiculous issue - just Stelvio - and so far my Alfa dealer seems to care less...

·
Registered
536 Posts
yeah but my evoque had the crappiest notchiest 9 speed tranny (problem on 2014 models and later) which made for a far less pleasant driving experience than brakes. My esprit had issues with growling when they went to brembos, it's pretty much chalked up to the pad material. You could go aftermarket or even use another compound pad from brembo. I think they'd be hard pressed to void a warranty claim because of different pads especially if brembo.

YOu might consider asking them to bleed the brakes, this often fixed noisy brakes on my sportbikes.

Dealership is telling me this squeaking/squealing is the normal characteristics of these brakes and there's nothing they can (or will) do...

my experience started before cold weather and has only worsened with it.

supposedly alfa is only focused on stopping the car and doesn't care about any noises - the comment was 'if you can hear them you know they're working'

using different / 3rd party pads would supposedly void any warranty and open them up to potential liability should you crash due to brake failure.

I'm pretty disappointed as its very loud and distracting - especially when you have people / colleagues in the car and it happens every time you apply the brakes

lucky us - no other luxury car on the market has this ridiculous issue - just Stelvio - and so far my Alfa dealer seems to care less...

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
At least in the USA, voiding a warranty for replacement with comparable to OEM spec aftermarket parts is illegal. They cannot void any warranty except on the brake pad itself if you use a equivalent part from another manufacturer, so long as it is properly installed following the correct procedures.

Easy way to solve that is just drive in D/M and drive it harder like it's an Italian sports car, and brake later and harder. They don't squeak when you use them more! :wink

Reactions: lost1750GTV
1 - 20 of 26 Posts