Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Madness Auto sells a Sport version of its lowering springs and also a Sport Plus version. The Sport version has a 1.2” drop and the Sport Plus version has a full 2” drop.

The language on their website is vague, but the gist of it is that the Sport Plus version has better handling but a firmer ride than the regular Sport version; and that both versions are superior to the stock set-up’s handling. I am planning to lower my 2019 Ti Sport and am thinking I will go with the regular Sport version, as this car is a daily driver and I will never track it.

So, my question is whether any one has recent experience on either of these versions? Thanks in advance for your help and input.
If you wanna sacrifice comfort, get the 2" drop. You'll feel most of everything on the road. But if you want a nice looking drop AND retain comfort, get the 1.2" drop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Madness Auto sells a Sport version of its lowering springs and also a Sport Plus version. The Sport version has a 1.2” drop and the Sport Plus version has a full 2” drop.

The language on their website is vague, but the gist of it is that the Sport Plus version has better handling but a firmer ride than the regular Sport version; and that both versions are superior to the stock set-up’s handling. I am planning to lower my 2019 Ti Sport and am thinking I will go with the regular Sport version, as this car is a daily driver and I will never track it.

So, my question is whether any one has recent experience on either of these versions? Thanks in advance for your help and input.
While I understand the desire to achieve a certain look, lowering a Stelvio somewhat defeats its purpose. That said, there is a lot of engineering that goes into suspension design. To optimize for any design purpose, aesthetic handling etc. you should look at the whole “system” and not just one component. Shorter springs means you shock lose total travel which is why the quality of ride changes. Lowered springs alone may require changing alignment specs to account for the change in geometry. Other solutions, albeit more expensive near term would be larger wheels like 21” to fill the space. A far better solution for lowering, in my opinion, is to go for set ups like the KW Coil overs and the like. That allows for much better adjustability and performance. Alfa spent millions design the suspension, changing it correctly is not a cheap or easy solution.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
543 Posts
I agree completely with you guys. If I would be that rich, I would go that route, but I'm not, so I have to go the cheap route. For me, the look is more important than the ride quality. Back in my old county we have a saying, you have to suffer for a good look. Most likely, this was for the ladies back in the day, when they had to wear corsets.
My previous SUV(Mazda CX5) I had it lowered 3-1/4". I even had a cross brace cracked, from bottoming out.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I agree completely with you guys. If I would be that rich, I would go that route, but I'm not, so I have to go the cheap route. For me, the look is more important than the ride quality. Back in my old county we have a saying, you have to suffer for a good look. Most likely, this was for the ladies back in the day, when they had to wear corsets.
My previous SUV(Mazda CX5) I had it lowered 3-1/4". I even had a cross brace cracked, from bottoming out.
Bottom line, I am going to lower the car 1.2”. If I don’t like the trade off between looks and driveabilty I will keep the OE springs and have them put back on. From my perspective, all progress in the human race comes from two words “yeah but”.

Meaning when you say ‘yeah but’ and squint your eyes a little, contemplating how you can make a great anything into stupendous something that’s truly a work of personal art. Did Enzo stay satisfied and say ‘we’ve put thousands of hours into this design so it cannot be improved!’ I think not. On a lighter note those of us with a little time, mental energy and money just like to mess around with things and see if we can make them better without wrecking them. 😎

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good points on all accounts and yes AF did spend thousands of hours and $$ pouring over the suspension design but they did this with a heavy dose of compromise, giving it a SUV Category moniker with a tall ride height and a ride comfort for the masses. A 1.2" drop and a little stiffer ride, if done correctly is not going to negatively effect it that much IMHO.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Decided on the Madness Sport which has a 1.2” drop. Very happy with the look, stance, ease of entry/exit and ride. Also handling is greatly improved. Feels like my ‘09 Mini JCW with a COBB AP. Highly recommend if you want a little lower profile. Seems to be a nice compromise between a stock Stelvio and a Giulia.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Typical result. before and after results nominal at best. As Tibi said, didn't suffer enough. You can get that look with 1/2 in more OD on tires as well.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti Alfa white with Chocolate interior, premium package.
178 Posts
Decided on the Madness Sport which has a 1.2” drop. Very happy with the look, stance, ease of entry/exit and ride. Also handling is greatly improved. Feels like my ‘09 Mini JCW with a COBB AP. Highly recommend if you want a little lower profile. Seems to be a nice compromise between a stock Stelvio and a Giulia. View attachment 26207
View attachment 26208
View attachment 26206
I think it makes the car look sexier and better accentuates the sculpted profile

·
Registered
175 Posts
have not tried the arms yet. sorry, will let all know and not sure when i'm gonna tackle the project or send it off to a shop to do it.
There's a front camber kit that Alfa9 sells...do you guys think i'llneed that as well. (again just doing the madness 1.2" drop)

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
543 Posts
Do you have the control arms? What I would be interested in, is the two mounting hole distances between them. If I would have that dimension, I could compare to the Stelvio one, to see if it will work, or not.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
have not tried the arms yet. sorry, will let all know and not sure when i'm gonna tackle the project or send it off to a shop to do it.
There's a front camber kit that Alfa9 sells...do you guys think i'llneed that as well. (again just doing the madness 1.2" drop)
I didn’t add the arms for the madness 1.2” and it drives great and stance appears square. Am I missing something? The sales guy from Madness didn’t think I would need anything else.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts