Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Gotta love how for the last 3 years or so, Alfa Romeo has been pointedly trashed in almost every review for not having a touchscreen....

...despite most owners preferring the knobs, even those who didn't at first often come around to preferring them after using them....and those same reviewers writing other articles about how bad touchscreen interfaces are...

However now that Mazda and Honda are dropping touchscreens...all of a sudden using a knob is the better option.....so much more precise for REAL drivers! Smarter! What great manufacturers thinking of driver safety......unlike Alfa who is just backwards...and worse...Italian.....

Really the smarter option has always been to drive an Alfa...

...since, as now we see, Alfa Romeo is minimally three years ahead of the curve set by other manufanturers.

.....with a 3 year old platform...so originally it was about 6 years ahead. Or more..definitely more in terms of driving dynamics.

Alfa builds a more advanced vehicle (not a more advanced radio - infotainment - the actual car) with a superior driver-centric cockpit environment and faaar superior driving dynamics...that is also more rewarding to drive down the road...and it can go down more types of roads since the AWD is also head and shoulders superior to its direct competition.

So glad I woke up to the BS and got an Alfa despite all the doom and gloom predictions.

Best car ever...with or without a touchscreen. Including reliability....I personally would have most likely bent the frame of most other vehicles by now.

...although I am glad other manufacturers are realizing touchscreeens as the only interface for every system in the car besides gas, steering, and braking, is a bad idea...because it is.......

·
Registered
147 Posts
A while back while waiting in the barbershop I started reading an article in one of the car magazines where the author was going on about the reasons touch screens in a car were a bad idea. Only just started the article before the barber was free. But I thought it was interesting that this guy was bucking the trend. Now it seems he was in the forefront.

You might say that Alfa is behind the times as it just added a touch screen for the 2020 model as other manufacturers are dropping the touch screens.

Can't say I've missed having a touch screen in my 2019 Stelvio.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alfa pretty obviously added the touchscreen to address the journalistic complaints, which have nothing to do with cutting edge driver-centric design.

Notice they kept the analogue control, adding the touchscreen.

It's common for manufacturers on the cutting edge of any industry to role back or amend some of the more controversial features/design descisions to be more in-line with trends. Doesn't make them behind the times really, does mean they are willing to adapt to the market...can't beat 'em type situation.

(Porsche for instance, was one of the last high end manufacturers to have push-button start. You could get it on a VW before a Porsche. Porsche said it didnt make the car faster...so it wasnt a priority. Different company then, no 4 door cars, only 1 SUV.)

Seems to have worked for Alfa too..the latest reviews are all positive.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well I am waiting for my 2020 with a touchscreen to arrive! Wonder if Alfa will back off of the new touchscreen or press ahead.
John

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect the high end manufacturers will have both...it is nice for the passenger to have a way to control things wiith out interfering with the driver.

While mainstream guys like Mazda, Honda, hopefully Kia/Hyundai will just go to an analogue control.

Ya know...I'm probably the only person on the planet that lusts for the 2020, not for a touchscreen or additional options...but for the slot next to the shifter that holds the key...and the shifter itself...just can't justify it for such minor things...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man! I love the infotainment on my non-carplay 2018. It's simply quick and ergonomic. I've NEVER been at a loss for a control. In fact, I much prefer it to touchscreen on my lexus.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I got thrashed about this over the past year...but am being proven correct. The touchscreen, and esp esp the max distractor at eye level look like stupid tablet models, are probably the single most retarded ANTI -safety device the auto industry ever fell for. I WILL BUY NO MORE CARS WITH ONE UNLESS THERE IS SOME SORT OF MANUAL OVERRIDE...LIKE OUR ALFAS!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sat in a 2020 Ford Explorer at the Cleveland Auto Show in Feb (I know, "why did you even do that?"---it was the new 400hp/415 tq ST, was curious). No kidding, ALL I remember from my brief visit is the dry erase board-sized infotainment "board" hogging the entire front of the cabin. Huge distraction, and I wasn't even driving the thing. No thanks, perfectly happy with my "smaller" and unobtrusive AR infotainment. Learned to like the rotary dial just fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK - so I love my 2018 Stelvio, and as Balsalto Tony said "It's simply quick and ergonomic". But, I still feel it was put out on the market unfinished and incomplete. Compared to UConnect found in Dodge and Jeeps, even years before, it is missing many useful features. (not talking about touch, not a fan of that) Added engine information (volts, exact temperatures), performance info ( 0-60 times like the Challenger has ) would be fun. Launch control anyone. Maybe even a working phone interface that is less then just basic. I guess this has been addressed in the 2020 models, but really strange for FCA, who led in this area years earlier, to have messed this up. ( We have 2014 Unconnect in our Dodge and its pretty good )

Love my Stelvio and really am fine with the bluetooth equiped radio it came with. Great cutting edge vehicle in all other ways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts