Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,

So on the weekend I was watching a show in Quebec called RPM. They were comparing the Jaguar and the Giulia. They were criticizing Alpha on the maintenance intervals ( I believe every 6000KM or 8000KM) as well as the price.

for the first maintenance was an oil change of 300+ $ and the second maintenance was an upwards of 700$+ .

Can anyone confirm these?

Although it was the Giulia , they also said that the Stelvio will be the same and respect the same interval and price.

in the end they both preferred the Jaguar because it costs less to maintain and the interval was 20 000KM for oil changes etc..

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
This could be the source for bad info that has come up here before (unidentified at the time). Is this a recently released show or a repeat of prior airing? Unlike print, they cannot edit after the film is in the can so to speak and there is a lot of bad info (and snarky reviews) out there.

First service, gratis at least here I the USA is at 10,000 miles. My handy conversion chart shows this as 16,093.44 kilometers.

Routine service every 10,000 miles (16K kilometers) thereafter except for severe use.

Standard filter and synthetic oil as specified in the manual.

We are expecting future service to be <$100 with extras to include cabin filter change, tire rotation, air filter, etc. and it seems to be a non-issue- speaking for myself and others I do believe. Others?

·
Registered
241 Posts
In the end, realistic oil change intervals are the same for all cars, when using synthetic oil.

I change my oil (with fully synthetic) on all my cars at 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. In the early 2000's when BMW offered maintenance for 4 years as "free", they used a 15,000 mile interval- insanely long in my opinion. Why so long- BMW was paying for oil.

The guys who leased their BMW's did not care, because they dumped their cars after 2-3 years. The guys like me who held on to their cars did care.

Changing oil more frequently is the single most important maintenance Procedure you can perform to ensure long engine life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks @ Karlfevans , my worry is that each schedule maintenance will require a Personal loan lol.. it really turned me off when I heard them reviewing the Giulia and Stelvio..

thank God for this forum

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
IIRC, the manual states 20k mile interval for the belt, so that'll bump the 2nd year service cost up a bit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
1st service at 10k miles is complimentary in the US. It's equivalent to "free maintenance" for those on a 2 year / 10k miles a year lease. :smile

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don’t think the oil change will be a big deal as others have said. What I did notice is that the car manual says spark plugs have to be changed every 30,000 miles. Usually they last 100,000 miles. I assume they have to be changed so soon due to the start/stop system. So how much gas are you saving versus the cost of replacing spark plugs? This isn’t an Alfa issue. The issue is car manufacturers being forced to get higher MPG by the government. At the end of the day the consumer is the one that suffers with inconvenient features that end up costing more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts