Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our stelvio sport ti for a week and while we love the handling, it has been a nightmare on many other fronts. Going into the dealer tomorrow and I’d love to hear if anyone else is experiencing the following issues...

The heater stopped working. It blasted cold air on an hour long trip in 25 degree farenheight weather. It was a mix of freezing rain and snow and we could not see a thing as the windshield was completely iced over. Had to pull over numerous times to scrape the windshield. Crazy! Turns out my wife says the auto hasn’t worked all week and she had been using the manual mode. She thought she was doing something wrong and didn’t want to bother me with it.

The auto start and stop system stopped working and throws an error every time we start the car. The remote start also doesn’t work which I assume is related.

Half the time the door will not unlock without using the key.

Every time we turn off the car there is a high pitched whine that come from the car for about 10+ minutes.

Tonight after turning off the car in the garage, it sounded like a jet olane taking off for about a full 2-3 minutes. I actually thought there was a problem with the garage blower heater fan, it was so loud.

The radio station changes every time we start the car.

Yesterday we got a ‘service electronic throttle’ warning.

The clock keeps resetting to 24h time.

The check engine light has been on for 4 of the 7 days we have had it.

And the MPG miles to go is crazy inaccurate. It went from 90 miles to go, to 10 miles to go, after driving 6 miles to the local store at a very conservative pace. I haven’t had a chance to check the actual fuel consumption on fill ups but my wife swears it is worse than her old 335xi that got around 17mpg.

Anyone experiencing any of theses issues???

Thanks for any guidance.

-Matt

·
Registered
381 Posts
"The radio station changes every time we start the car. "

This happens from time to time with me. My wife thinks I'm cheating sometimes 'cause she knows I never listen to country music and then, pow - I'm listening to Mel Tillis or Emmylou Harris when I start the car, &%$#@!*?%!

Seriously, I think all the problems you are experiencing might be a simple low battery or voltage thing. Dealer should be able to look up the trouble code the ECM and your problems will be taken care of.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We have had our stelvio sport ti for a week and while we love the handling, it has been a nightmare on many other fronts. Going into the dealer tomorrow and I’d love to hear if anyone else is experiencing the following issues...

The heater stopped working. It blasted cold air on an hour long trip in 25 degree farenheight weather. It was a mix of freezing rain and snow and we could not see a thing as the windshield was completely iced over. Had to pull over numerous times to scrape the windshield. Crazy! Turns out my wife says the auto hasn’t worked all week and she had been using the manual mode. She thought she was doing something wrong and didn’t want to bother me with it.

The auto start and stop system stopped working and throws an error every time we start the car. The remote start also doesn’t work which I assume is related.

Every time we turn off the car there is a high pitched whine that come from the car for about 10+ minutes.

Tonight after turning off the car in the garage, it sounded like a jet olane taking off for about a full 2-3 minutes. I actually thought there was a problem with the garage blower heater fan, it was so loud.

And the MPG miles to go is crazy inaccurate. It went from 90 miles to go, to 10 miles to go, after driving 6 miles to the local store at a very conservative pace. I haven’t had a chance to check the actual fuel consumption on fill ups but my wife swears it is worse than her old 335xi that got around 17mpg.

Thanks for any guidance.

-Matt
Take the car in ASAP. DEMAND everything to be fixed or you will not accept the car back. Make sure they give you a loner car.
You don't want to be stranded in this kind of winter.

"The radio station changes every time we start the car. "

This happens from time to time with me. My wife thinks I'm cheating sometimes 'cause she knows I never listen to country music and then, pow - I'm listening to Mel Tillis or Emmylou Harris when I start the car, &%$#@!*?%!

Seriously, I think all the problems you are experiencing might be a simple low battery or voltage thing. Dealer should be able to look up the trouble code the ECM and your problems will be taken care of.

A low battery can explain some symptoms but not the strange sounds its making for 10+ minutes. Something is still running when the car is off, which shouldn't be if the battery doesn't have enough juice.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
...Half the time the door will not unlock without using the key...

...And the MPG miles to go is crazy inaccurate. It went from 90 miles to go, to 10 miles to go, after driving 6 miles to the local store at a very conservative pace. I haven’t had a chance to check the actual fuel consumption on fill ups but my wife swears it is worse than her old 335xi that got around 17mpg....
Check the exterior lock button on the door handle, mine on the drivers door was misaligned from the factory and the button is off center towards the rear of the car, it sometimes sticks and you have to kinda pull it out with your fingernail to unlock the door (door is receiving both a lock and a unlock signal, it stays locked). I'm waiting for the dealer to get a replacement handle in and painted to have it swapped. Minor annoyance at best once you know what's happening.

As for the MPG. First the estimated range will be calculated off the current average MPG reading on the dash. However you may also have the issue I had which was a defective fuel pump. for reasons I can't exactly understand, a low pressure problem with the pump resulted in getting on average about 14-15mpg for the first 740 miles, then the engine went into limp mode. Took several days for the dealer to acquire the correct parts and tools, but haven't had any issues whatsoever since, and even with my heavy foot I am averaging nearly 20mpg now.

Also, the service electronic brake warning, pretty sure that's a symptom of battery undervoltage. I've seen it a few times when starting the car, but nothing is actually wrong. The dealer is going to check it when they fix the door handle, hopefully next week if the parts arrive.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Seems like a bad batch of batteries (this was mentioned in a previous post). In our industry (nothing related to the car business), there is a huge problem with inconsistent quality and performance from batteries 'off shore' to the point where it has crippled a couple of competitors.

That said: The worst thing is 'intermittent' problems that are hard to duplicate-- if there is a silver lining for you, Moholland, it seems to be you have what we refer to as a 'smoking gun' that will be easy to diagnose. I am betting you get priority treatment from both the dealership and our friends at Alfa. It doesn't repay for your inconvenience, but it is gratifying to know that success of this vehicle and brand is Job #1 for FCA. When we had a problem, they fell all over themselves to make it right. Turned out to be minor- hope yours is too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a bad battery in my stelvio and it made the car do all sorts of strange things and emit a lot of strange noises. Alfa replaced the battery and all is good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Stelvio gave me some weird issues last night. The forward collision warning failed in traffic during my commute, this was followed 5 seconds later by a brake light failure and turn signal failure. I pulled over and decided to reboot/restart the car. Same issues came up.

The turn signal was blinking very fast, as if a bulb was out, so I hopped out of the car to check and see which one.... Now get this... The turn signals outside the car were all working fine, and blinking at the normal rate, while the signal inside the car was blinking fast.... AND the brake lights were working.

So I drove home, irked by the warnings on the dash.

Fast forward to this morning.... Go out to the car, start it up.... Forward collision warning is on the dash.... But the turn signals and brake light warning is gone... So I go about my morning taking my kids to the park.

2 hour later, I get into the car to leave the park, and everything is normal again. Been driving all day doing errands, and the car is fine.

Gotta' love Italian cars. I'll head to the dealer when I get some free time. During service two weeks ago, they uploaded 3 updates to the computer. Part of me thinks it's the battery, but the car is driven daily and these errors came up after driving 5 miles, and the errors cleared themselves after the car sat for a while. Usually battery problems materialize after a car sits, not when it's driven.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My Stelvio gave me some weird issues last night. The forward collision warning failed in traffic during my commute, this was followed 5 seconds later by a brake light failure and turn signal failure. I pulled over and decided to reboot/restart the car. Same issues came up.

The turn signal was blinking very fast, as if a bulb was out, so I hopped out of the car to check and see which one.... Now get this... The turn signals outside the car were all working fine, and blinking at the normal rate, while the signal inside the car was blinking fast.... AND the brake lights were working.

Fast forward to this morning.... Go out to the car, start it up.... Forward collision warning is on the dash.... But the turn signals and brake light warning is gone... So I go about my morning taking my kids to the park.

2 hour later, I get into the car to leave the park, and everything is normal again. Been driving all day doing errands, and the car is fine.

Gotta' love Italian cars. I'll head to the dealer when I get some free time. During service two weeks ago, they uploaded 3 updates to the computer. Part of me thinks it's the battery, but the car is driven daily and these errors came up after driving 5 miles, and the errors cleared themselves after the car sat for a while. Usually battery problems materialize after a car sits, not when it's driven.
If it was a battery problem you would have issues in starting the engine. It would be even more pronounced if you didn't disable the automatic start/stop function of the engine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Software updates

Gotta' love Italian cars. I'll head to the dealer when I get some free time. During service two weeks ago, they uploaded 3 updates to the computer. Part of me thinks it's the battery, but the car is driven daily and these errors came up after driving 5 miles, and the errors cleared themselves after the car sat for a while. Usually battery problems materialize after a car sits, not when it's driven.[/QUOTE

How many miles do you have? 1st service is at 10k miles -
Do you know the type, name, or the nomenclature of the updates they installed?

I do not look forward to having the same experience ...

·
Registered
49 Posts

Gotta' love Italian cars. I'll head to the dealer when I get some free time. During service two weeks ago, they uploaded 3 updates to the computer. Part of me thinks it's the battery, but the car is driven daily and these errors came up after driving 5 miles, and the errors cleared themselves after the car sat for a while. Usually battery problems materialize after a car sits, not when it's driven.[/QUOTE

How many miles do you have? 1st service is at 10k miles -
Do you know the type, name, or the nomenclature of the updates they installed?

I do not look forward to having the same experience ...
I've got almost 8k miles. I'd need to check, but I think my Stelvio has taken at least 5 flash updates. They take a few as standard practice at dealer delivery before placed on the lot for sale to customers.

I need to find the service paperwork to confirm the updates.

·
Registered
381 Posts
and?

Thanks for any guidance.

-Matt
Matt - Moholland,

So what was wrong with your Stelvio? did you get it back from the dealer?

I agree with another forum member that it may have been a bad battery batch from an outside supplier. Seems like a few owner's said they ended up replacing their batteries under warranty to solve their problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Moholland -
"The radio station changes every time we start the car.
The clock keeps resetting to 24h time. "

I have complained to my dealership about the radio issue. Their response was that they could not reproduce the problem... Others on this forum have reported same issue, so it appears to be very common.

Clock reset from 12 to 24. I have had this occur a number of times. Others report same. See the Ghost in the Machine thread on this forum...

There appears to be a lot of issues revolving around the electronics and most particularly the infotainment center.

Definitely report the problems to your dealership. I am now maintaining a log of the various "electronics" issues as they occur to share with the dealership.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Moholland -
"The radio station changes every time we start the car.
The clock keeps resetting to 24h time. "

I have complained to my dealership about the radio issue. Their response was that they could not reproduce the problem... Others on this forum have reported same issue, so it appears to be very common.

Clock reset from 12 to 24. I have had this occur a number of times. Others report same. See the Ghost in the Machine thread on this forum...

There appears to be a lot of issues revolving around the electronics and most particularly the infotainment center.

Definitely report the problems to your dealership. I am now maintaining a log of the various "electronics" issues as they occur to share with the dealership.
I am now taking photos and videos on my phone when an issue occurs. This is since the car has a good habit of "fixing" itself.

FYI-

I've had no problems with my electronics since Saturday. The car is fine now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I guess I should feel lucky. I bought my TI Sport in October and now have 6,000 miles....no problems whatsoever.

Probably just jinxed myself :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
so, what did the dealer tell you?

Thanks for any guidance.

-Matt
Hey Matt,

What exactly was wrong was your car? What did the dealer do to fix the "major electrical issues?"

Did someone leave the lights on and the battery got drained enough to cause your car's electrical problems?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Really sounds like they need to reset your ECU, and run through the system diagnostics. I’ve had none of those issues and mine seems to only take a minute, even in the morning, to spit out the heat.

·
Registered
381 Posts
what up?

Thanks for any guidance.

-Matt
Weird.
No updates -

I'm almost beginning to believe that the cause was either terribly embarrassing or it was a bogus posting by a Lexus car owner, lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi same thing happen to me today at 4700 miles frontal collision disabled warning and brake lights out warning on dashboard. Checked brake lights and all are working. Turned the ignition off and restarted and all fault warning are gone. Good thing I’m taking my stelvio in for condensation in one of the taillights Monday for replacement, now something else to deal with.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts