Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our Stelvio all of 15 days and have absolutely loved it! Today, I took it through the car wash - not the first time of course. When I exited the car wash, I noticed that the rear wiper was on and I was unable to turn it off. After that, all kinds of crazy things started to happen - many warning lights on the dash and messages such as front collision turned off, brake lights out, headlight out, etc. It completely went crazy! I got back to my office and tried to turn the car off, and could not. When I turned it off, the engine stayed running but everything was dark on the dash. I even took the key out of the vehicle and inside, went back out to the car, and it was running without the fob just like normal. When the car finally turned off, we let it sit for a while and then turned it back on. It was still just as crazy, but the tailgate unlatched (we didn't touch it) and won't latch again. I am going out of town and was leaving for the airport but have had to since make other arrangements because there's no way I can take the Stelvio.

I called the Roadside Assistance and they were extremely helpful! We are over an hour from the dealership. They are sending out a flatbed tow and are taking it into the dealership. After I had explained everything, the person I was speaking with asked if I had gone through a touchless car wash. I said that of course I had. She then told me that the Stelvio has a flaw in that because of it's sensors and the water pressure in a touchless wash, Stelvio's CANNOT GO THROUGH A TOUCHLESS WASH!! I couldn't believe it! She said that the problem isn't with the Giulia or Spider, only Stelvio and that there was a warning buried somewhere in the owner's manual. I have looked through the manual and all it says is to not take it to a wash that has nozzles closer to your vehicle than 15" which is more for the protection of the paint rather than this issue. Something as critical as that, one would think the dealerships would be aware and would tell Stelvio owners as they purchased their vehicles. Super upset right now. I would have assumed that with so much attention to so many details, the designers would have caught this one and fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I called the Roadside Assistance and they were extremely helpful! We are over an hour from the dealership. They are sending out a flatbed tow and are taking it into the dealership. After I had explained everything, the person I was speaking with asked if I had gone through a touchless car wash. I said that of course I had. She then told me that the Stelvio has a flaw in that because of it's sensors and the water pressure in a touchless wash, Stelvio's CANNOT GO THROUGH A TOUCHLESS WASH!! I couldn't believe it! She said that the problem isn't with the Giulia or Spider, only Stelvio and that there was a warning buried somewhere in the owner's manual. I have looked through the manual and all it says is to not take it to a wash that has nozzles closer to your vehicle than 15" which is more for the protection of the paint rather than this issue. Something as critical as that, one would think the dealerships would be aware and would tell Stelvio owners as they purchased their vehicles. Super upset right now. I would have assumed that with so much attention to so many details, the designers would have caught this one and fixed it.

A little disconcerting but a fair warning and appreciated. Do you have an explanation of WHAT the issue is (where the leakage is or why)? Please update for all of us-- until now I have only done this once (and the thing did such a crappy job I gave the tickets back to the Lions Club from where I bought them) but it is certainly good to know.

There was a post confirmed by AlfaTech about leakage into the tailgate assembly on some vehicles shorting a connector but nothing like this.

Sorry to hear about your having this problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, I have taken mine through a touchless "Laser" wash numerous times....with no problems?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is a touch less wash ????

Fully automatic car washing ????

A touchless wash is one without brushes or anything coming into contact with your vehicle. So yes, it can be automatic, but you can also do it manually with the spray nozzle like most car washes have. Many say laser which is what this one was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We still don't know what the diagnosis is. As soon as we find out, I will post it here. I sure hope Alfa Romeo is listening. They have made a great vehicle, but issues like this need resolved before their vehicle hits the market.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I have used many carwash type and I see every time that the proximity sensors on the door make the arrows flash furiously but that's it, no more, no other issues

the customer care drink too much if declare that a specific car wash is forbidden for Stelvio, no words

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you find out what the issue was?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your issue or not, but to me, the way the Stelvio routes water from the windshield cowl area is unusual and in a carwash would force a large volume of water into the rear of the engine bay and firewall area. If one of the openings in the firewall were not sealed properly I can see water getting in and potentially affecting electrical components. The only other car I can compare it to tonight is my BMW which routes all water to two large drains on either side of the cowl and the water drains out the bottom of the car behind the front wheels.

From what I can see the Stelvio water drains from 3 places and all of it flows freely into the engine bay and firewall.

1. On the passenger side, it drains out a very small hole on the side of the cowl, from here the water free falls onto the insulation on the side of the engine bay and on to several bundles of wires coming out of the firewall and eventually to the ground.

2. There is a small hole below the base of passenger side wiper. Water from this hole free falls behind the engine and I assume onto the transmission. The small quantity of water I used never reached the floor, I assume it's in the belly pan.

3. On the driver's side, the only area for water to drain that I can find is through the opening in the cowl for the driver side wiper. Strangely this is not the lowest point of the cowl so water also collects below the wiper opening. The water freefalls onto the firewall and the area around the brake fluid reservoir. Again the small quantity of water I used did not make it to the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hope you are not right about water flows,Ranger- that would be a major unintended Stelvio design error. Everyone knows water fouls up electrical circuits when a breach occurs.

I don't take any of my cars through car washes, but so many do. As Marzio says, Alfa can't say "don't take the Stelvio through a car wash".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just took mine through an automatic car wash yesterday and all the safety features were going nuts.Lights on the dash were a christmas tree.Seemed to be fine after but wondering if it's Ok to do this,and how i can defeat it....

Turned off the lane sensor with an easy button push,but do I need to go through the menu's and turn off all the collision warnings and other safety features each time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My local car wash advised me not to do the "drive through/chain pulled" unless someone stays in the car. He said because when you put the car in Neutral and than open the door, (for the attendant to exit car) the car puts the emergency brake on. My 2018 VW Golf R also does that. Maybe the car being pulled through the car wash with emergency brake on also "freaks out" the sensors????
Anyway, since than I only do Hand Wash at the car wash.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My local car wash advised me not to do the "drive through/chain pulled" unless someone stays in the car. He said because when you put the car in Neutral and than open the door, (for the attendant to exit car) the car puts the emergency brake on. My 2018 VW Golf R also does that. Maybe the car being pulled through the car wash with emergency brake on also "freaks out" the sensors????
Anyway, since than I only do Hand Wash at the car wash.
Drove it through myself so that was not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So for the good of all of us: How to select Neutral (vs. Park) for freewheeling situations. Stella is in the garage at BWI but this would be good info if anybody cares to confirm. I am bound and determined not to run her through an automated wash (hand washing) until 50K miles and the honeymoon is over but never say never.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So for the good of all of us: How to select Neutral (vs. Park) for freewheeling situations. Stella is in the garage at BWI but this would be good info if anybody cares to confirm. I am bound and determined not to run her through an automated wash (hand washing) until 50K miles and the honeymoon is over but never say never.
Too hot to do a full hand wash here (114 degrees today).After owning about 100 cars i never had a real issue though an automated wash.We have a brand new top of the line one here that even gets the rims spotless without having to touch them up.I usually run it through,then take it home and wipe off the few drip marks and the rear a bit and it's perfect.

I always do the interior myself in my garage.Living in Vegas it's going to be hard to keep it perfect anyway,but will do the best I can.I guess i will just turn off all the sensors before going through again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We are all aware of the recall issue regarding "Water Intrusion"...Correct ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope you are not right about water flows,Ranger- that would be a major unintended Stelvio design error. Everyone knows water fouls up electrical circuits when a breach occurs.

I don't take any of my cars through car washes, but so many do. As Marzio says, Alfa can't say "don't take the Stelvio through a car wash".
Update:
1500 miles on Stelvio QV...shipped June 2018 ...
Ran thru first fully automated car wash today...all good. NO issues!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I took my Sylvia to dealer yesterday and told them about 4 recalls when i entered my Vin one of them was issue with tailgate electrical and braking system it took 30 minutes and they said everything is updated. I guess we will see But its hard to believe that you cannot take a 50 thousand dollar car to a Touchless car wash ..AR said that 2 executives helped designed the Guilia and Stelvio?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts