Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hopefully Alfa makes an announcement of something similar. At some point, seems like if they can do it Maserati, the drivetrain in the Stelvio/Guilia is basically the same as the Grecale...

So one might think it could happen for Alfa too. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This would be an outstandingly smart move.

Ive said for years (as most of us probably have) that alfa needs a 10/100 warranty to "prove" to the public how incredibly reliable they are ala kia and Hyundai right?

Then they need to run a milion commercials of an American driver in our cars driving along switchbacks on the California coast wringing out the engine and suspension and then the driver pulls over to the side of the road as sad music starts playing. The driver walks back to the trunk and opens it up and an old Italian mechanic gets out. They stare at each other fondly remembering their years together and finally with wet eyes they shake hands and the driver extends his hand for the shake saying "I guess i wont be needing you anymore Victorio"

Then the screen shot comes up "Welcome to the new Alfa Romeo. All the Italian performance without the relationship with your mechanic". ... All alfa romeos proudly offered with a 10 year 100k mile warranty.

Then commercials of old Italian garages with men sitting hustling and bustling working on itslian cars. Then next scene only 6 men much less busy. One by one each of the mechanics turn in their resignation and the group gets smaller each day. Then its the final two mechanics who are just sitting playing chess in an empty garage .... An alfa romeo pulls up...they go from looking pensive to excited and smiling as they look up hopeful for business again... The driver gets out...pause...and asks for directions...que the warranty screenshot

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
144 Posts
The warranty coupled with their strategy for offering a lot more content for a lower price then the main competition is what really started Hyundai/Kia on their sustained upward trajectory. They were very committed to making leaps and bounds in quality with each new vehicle generation. They aren't perfect (no car company is), but the cars they are putting out today are a night and day difference compared to what they were putting out when they started offering that warranty. The money they made with the increased cars they sold thanks to the warranty was put back into the company for R&D and further quality improvements, thus selling more and more cars and promoting brand loyalty.

Alfa would do well to follow that model. Give the consumer the confidence to take a chance on the product, then reward them with a quality offering that gets better with every subsequent revision to help with customer retention.

Along with the warranty though, they need a better dealer structure so that people have a convenient dealer to take the car to for service and have a good experience when they do. Otherwise, no matter how long the warranty is, no one will want to use it, or the lack of a convenient dealer will deter their purchase no matter what. I've heard horror stories about Kia dealerships, but we had a Tucson before the Stelvio, and the local Hyundai dealer was excellent for service. The Alfa dealer I go to is similarly great, but is 200 miles away instead of 20.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
This would be an outstandingly smart move.

Ive said for years (as most of us probably have) that alfa needs a 10/100 warranty to "prove" to the public how incredibly reliable they are ala kia and Hyundai right?

Then they need to run a milion commercials of an American driver in our cars driving along switchbacks on the California coast wringing out the engine and suspension and then the driver pulls over to the side of the road as sad music starts playing. The driver walks back to the trunk and opens it up and an old Italian mechanic gets out. They stare at each other fondly remembering their years together and finally with wet eyes they shake hands and the driver extends his hand for the shake saying "I guess i wont be needing you anymore Victorio"

Then the screen shot comes up "Welcome to the new Alfa Romeo. All the Italian performance without the relationship with your mechanic". ... All alfa romeos proudly offered with a 10 year 100k mile warranty.

Then commercials of old Italian garages with men sitting hustling and bustling working on itslian cars. Then next scene only 6 men much less busy. One by one each of the mechanics turn in their resignation and the group gets smaller each day. Then its the final two mechanics who are just sitting playing chess in an empty garage .... An alfa romeo pulls up...they go from looking pensive to excited and smiling as they look up hopeful for business again... The driver gets out...pause...and asks for directions...que the warranty screenshot
Wait a minute, isn't that most Alfa dealeeship servicd depts already?

·
Registered
83 Posts
There should be a special exemption for Alfa owners because we have to travel so far for dealer service....

... We should get able to legally drive 200miles in 2 hours. As compensation....
I agree. My dealer is a couple miles away. lol However, in Hawaii, more specifically, Oahu, we can't go very far without hitting traffic. We only have one Alfa dealer for the whole state.

10 year/100k warranty is good, but will Alfa still be in the states in 2030? I hope so, but unsure of it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
This is great news. The Grecale just notched up on my list. Indeed, Alfa should offer the same. This might not be new to you, but was to me----was watching a Grecale review a few days ago--a GT, Modena, and top of the line Trofeo. Hoods open. Camera on engines----hey, that is my Stelvio's 2.0 in the GT and Modena (tuned for more HP here though) and the Trofeo six pot looked just like the Quad, too. Same ZF-8 in all. So yeah, Alfa needs to add the same 10yr powertrain.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
144 Posts
The V6 in the Grecale is the 3.0 Nettuno engine and is exclusive to the Maserati. Likewise, the 2.9 V6 in the Quad is an Alfa-only engine.

I have a feeling the Grecale will do quite well for Maserati.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More then a few people suspect much of the difference between the Maserati 6 and Alfa is breathing and rounding (as-in rounding 2.9 to 3.0) could be wrong, might be more however.... there are definitely alot of shared parts.

Likewise the 2.0 I4 in the Grecale is doubtless a very similar engine even with the mild hybrid added.

The transmission is the same.....if your read the page Maserati has up, buried after unending descriptions of the screens.....you'll see it even has a carbon fiber driveshaft.

It drives different ...but those bones are the same.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Maserati says it was developed 100% in-house. That might not mean what you think it does...might mean it was developed 100% in-house... By modifying existing designs. From the R&T teardown, seems like most of the unique bit have to do with the valvetrain and breathing. In the article they point out the A/C compressor and alternators says Alfa Romeo on it.... It has the same firing order...

Not saying Maserati did nothing, the twin spark system, pre-chamber and 11:1 compression are pretty cool... But that is in the head for the most part. The block.... Don't think very much about that is unique. Also... Would like to mention the higher compression...highly increases the (slight)chances of LSPI, and carbon build up due to higher temperatures in the engine. In other words..... Good chance the Alfa V6 is more reliable, twin spark means each cylinder gets two spark plugs, so.... 12 plugs for each tune up, maintence will be alot more.

The particular design Maserati is using means each cylinder essentially has 2 combustion systems that must be perfectly coordinated at all times. It's some amazing engineering and software programming, no doubt.....however, all I can say is I hope Maserati has a better smart charging algorithm because low battery problems might mean an epic number of cars going into limp mode when the combustion system glitch from a voltage drop.... Even without charging system stupidity, a 10 year warranty means those batteries will go out under the powertrain warranty........ Hope it doesn't effect the powertrain performance (cause check engine lights and limp mode) for Stellantis' sake.

Read this breakdown by the head of Maserati Powertrain Innovation... Everything he talks about is primarily in the head. It's some cool stuff though... Really cool. Not slamming the engine, Maserati made a kick ass engine even more kick ass.

If Stellantis can give this engine a 10 year Powertrain warranty.... Not doing the same to Alfa is.... Just wrong. Just going to harm Alfa Romeo in the eyes of consumers.. the cars have less to go wrong why wouldn't you give them the same warranty?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I rememeber when Jeep did lifetime warranties on powertrains.
That's true, but I also remember when Hyundai did the same thing in 1998 (then Kia shortly afterwards)----and this was after the late 80's total disaster named the Excel (garnering Yugo levels of scorn from, well, auto journalists and consumers alike). Now look at Hyundai (and Kia to a certain extent). 10 yr/100k can work.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
"very complex" ?

Maybe because American car manufactures didn't make small 4 bangers, and when they did start putting them in cars, they were OHV designs from the fifties, from their Euro division, where as you could get a DOHC Fiat or Alfa, or Lotus in the 60s(for a time even the English had a DOHC in the MGA for a bit, but they could get more out of the tuned pushrod motor than the DOHC)
but that didn't stop Jenson from using the Lotus motors in the 70s.

DOHC designs have been around since the early 1900s, they just weren't so popular. Like the English, GM tried a DOHC in the vette for a bit, but still got more out of the OHV motor, year after year, heck it's still in the C8. don't know that it's any less complex than any other V8 besides the valvetrain.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
997 Posts
"very complex" ?

Maybe because American car manufactures didn't make small 4 bangers, and when they did start putting them in cars, they were OHV designs from the fifties, from their Euro division, where as you could get a DOHC Fiat or Alfa, or Lotus in the 60s(for a time even the English had a DOHC in the MGA for a bit, but they could get more out of the tuned pushrod motor than the DOHC)
but that didn't stop Jenson from using the Lotus motors in the 70s.

DOHC designs have been around since the early 1900s, they just weren't so popular. Like the English, GM tried a DOHC in the vette for a bit, but still got more out of the OHV motor, year after year, heck it's still in the C8. don't know that it's any less complex than any other V8 besides the valvetrain.
C8Z uses a dohc engine making 670hp without any hairdryer. Likely weighs less than the Maserati engine, too. Im just not a fan of complexity when simple gets it done.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kinda doubt a 5.5 liter V8 weighs less then a 3 liter V6, but sure, why not.....

Do agree with the complexity though.. especially with this Maser engine.

Been thinking about it, it's sounds spectacular but analyze it they should have named the engine Harvey Dent (Two Face, Batman villian)

Direct and port injection, normal and pre-combustion chamber, PLUS two spark plugs per cylinder.

So.. 2 fuel systems, 2 combustion chambers, and 2 spark plugs...(hence the two face reference)

Each duplicate system is separate from every other duplicate system and they must all work perfectly or nothing will work perfectly.

............ All of it tossed into an engine already notorious for throwing check engine lights when the battery gets low.... And notorious for low batteries.... Like most luxury cars now.

If the charging system isn't sorted out....warranty or not, a certain percentage of owners will be very annoyed, very regularly.

I'de buy a QV..... The complexity of that engine is off the charts..and I bet it isn't faster then a QV, particularly through a corner. Probably doesn't sound better either.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts