Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by for a friendly visit at the Alfa Maserati dealer yesterday on the way home from a Land Rover visit to hopefully address a laggy pedal. (TPS) which, of course, they couldn't install any TCU upgrades on due to my tune....didn't think that was the issue to begin with. The TPS just has a VERY long dead zone (1-2inches) at top of the travel

Anyway, took a 30 minute ride in a 2019 Levante S. WOW!!! What a fabulous vehicle!! Think of it as a big Stelvio with far more luxurious fit and finish. VERY IMPRESSED and when the times comes, may seriously look at one to replace the RRS. Ride quality is vastly superior (more on par with a full sized Range Rover). It has the same relative driving dynamics as our Stelvio. Fabulous handling and cornering prowess. If anyone is looking to upsize or upgrade down the road, this SHOULD be on your short list. I'd take one of these ANY day of the week over the german offerings. Thank god, no velcroed tablet to the dash look!! Internals are best in the business IMHO. I was very specifc about relaibility and was told that now that the Ghibli platform is sorted out (basis for Levante), these have proven to be every bit as reliable as the GTS, which is basically bulletproof. I love our RRS, but on the nasty frost heaved roads I drive in dead of winter, it is quite firm with no adjustability. Thank goodness the seats are spectacular.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I test drove one and enjoyed it. What held me back was the obvious switchgear shared with my Chrysler Pacifica along with a less the complete UConnect version of the infotainment system. I just could not justify in my head that it was $30K or more special that my Stelvio or Pacifica. I want one of course but could not pull the trigger.
But as you stated..beautiful to look at!
John

·
Registered
208 Posts
Stopped by for a friendly visit at the Alfa Maserati dealer yesterday on the way home from a Land Rover visit to hopefully address a laggy pedal. (TPS) which, of course, they couldn't install any TCU upgrades on due to my tune....didn't think that was the issue to begin with. The TPS just has a VERY long dead zone (1-2inches) at top of the travel

Anyway, took a 30 minute ride in a 2019 Levante S. WOW!!! What a fabulous vehicle!! Think of it as a big Stelvio with far more luxurious fit and finish. VERY IMPRESSED and when the times comes, may seriously look at one to replace the RRS. Ride quality is vastly superior (more on par with a full sized Range Rover). It has the same relative driving dynamics as our Stelvio. Fabulous handling and cornering prowess. If anyone is looking to upsize or upgrade down the road, this SHOULD be on your short list. I'd take one of these ANY day of the week over the german offerings. Thank god, no velcroed tablet to the dash look!! Internals are best in the business IMHO. I was very specifc about relaibility and was told that now that the Ghibli platform is sorted out (basis for Levante), these have proven to be every bit as reliable as the GTS, which is basically bulletproof. I love our RRS, but on the nasty frost heaved roads I drive in dead of winter, it is quite firm with no adjustability. Thank goodness the seats are spectacular.
ViscontiVerde,
Levante S is a full 12 inches longer and I don't know how much heavier than a Stelvio Quad. Starting price is $88K with 424 hp and well dressed. How does it compare to driving a Stelvio Quad? Is the Stelvio Quad a better value performance wise? The Levante obviously sounds better dressed out than the Stelvio.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
the levante is why I don't get Alfa wanting to make a bigger suv. it already exists so why cannilalize each others sales?
too big for me,

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Lost Bullseye. Performance wise, of course the Stelvio Quad is M3 while the Levante can be M5. Weight is in the 4700 lb zone which is impressive considering its size.(195 inches) Stelvio is much more Sport v Levante which can be made VERY sporty, but prefers luxury sport in a full sized way. Forget the numbers, the experience is what you pay for. The ride will erase Massachusetts winter roads esp their bridges.
I do use the additonal size of the RRS in winter. Example, going up before Thanksgiving the annual Costo staples run, TP, paper towels, clothes, foods, .......it will be stuffed, esp if I do a booze stop in NH. 2 dogs in back.....
Don't get me wrong, Stelvio is an amazing vehicle, just saying the Levante has some significant attributes. I went in to rule it out on a day with some free time thinking it was too pricey for my NEEDS. Came out WANTING ONE!!! Seems my 30 yrs of practicing in an Italian neighborhood are starting to influence me. The Trofeo is SICK but would be STUPID for winter! The sweet spot is an "S" Granlusso IMHO.
A bigger SUV at a much lower price point is Alfa's game. 3 rows seem to be needed (1-5x/yr) for lots of families. Its like all the empty nesters that buy sedans instead of coupes.....throw the friends in back. You go out to a fancy dinner with me in summer, you get GTS rear seats ...and appreciate being in a Maserati.....access is actually pretty easy and very comfortable. Better than lots of nominal spaced sedans. Time will tell. In no hurry unless I run into a sweet deal....like I did on the GTS at M3 prices. Pinninfarina style is timeless.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I "hope* the Levante and the rest of Maserati is exactly why FCA cancelled the larger SUV, and other vehicles for Alfa.....yet is still continuing with the Tonale while announcing a smaller product line with less overlap within FCA. Hopefully Alfa becomes the entry to Maserati, the Guilia and Stelvio being the premium Alfas, with some smaller, less expensive products to complete the line; Ie..the Tonale and a smaller sedan someday? Want something bigger, more powerful, and more luxurious than a Giulia/Stelvio? Get a Maser.

I test drove a Levante Trofeo...holy symphonic power Batman....that engine....and yes...the platform is amazingly under-rated...dont know why anyone would get any other SUV at that price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Levante that has the performance of the Quad is 170K even the GTS retail is 138K

I do agree the interior of the Levante is superior.

Ian

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
We all know 3rd row is mostly BS. I dare say, I see that third row use to be almost nonexistent in anything besides a minivan or true full sized SUV. Doesn't matter if it is X5, Exploder, etc. Its like the 3rd row in station wagons (the penalty box). Best for short use only.
In the 21st century, you pay for style as all the advanced tech that used to be the domain of the top tier has become so cheap to install that the Koreans put the entire industry on its ear. Granted half their tech is spotty at best but there is no longer that 5 year trickle down of tech anymore.

You can get into a base Levante for mid 70's and in reality you can be out the door under 70K with competitive performance. Actually very competitive with X5's, GLE's, Q7's etc. And just like those models, the price can double with M cars, AMG's and SQ7's. BUT>>>>>Levante is far more attractive than ANYTHING Germany has to offer. BTW, I'd rather drive an exclusive Levante than a 70K Jeep GC that blends in with all the 30K stripped down lease cars out there. To each his own but if I'm gonna pay, I want something special to look at everyday seen as I will keep it nicely detailed (not OCD nice, just really nice after I tool up my mountain dirt roads)

The problem (reliability supposedly) Maserati and some of the other top tier brands tend to experience, is it seems the higher up the ladder you go, the less savvy the owner is about the workings of a vehicle...should be just the opposite. Money buys the goods but does not provide the intelligence to READ THE MANUAL!!!! It is scary the number of folks that can't use a quality tire pressure gauge!! and think the TPMS sensors are all they need for example. So instead, you get a bunch of rich whiners. The number 1 reason I was told to come up and drive anything I want is because I enjoy the experience, and at the same time the dealer gets some accurate feedback on how something drives, be it on a back road, on the highway, in traffic etc. It goes far beyond NUMBERS. Numbers are far too easy to achieve nowadays...but at what cost to the experience?

Anyway, I have had my GTS all summer and it is 100% perfect. A grain of sand got in my sport button which cleaned out with compressed air and a drop of silicone. The whiner would say the switch gear sucks......
Sounds just like our tail gate button on Stelvio right??
Dealer says that Levantes have been predominantly service only vehicle with few issues...

·
Registered
38 Posts
My insurance company gave me a Levante for three weeks while my Stelvio was having some body work done (seriously, Chubb is the best insurance). To be honest I sort of hated it. Compared to my Stelvio it was like driving a pickup truck. Couldn't wait to get my car back.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The Stelvio is a lot shorter but close to the same width, makes for better balance and stability. Also the ride handling balance is more toward ride, even compared to the base Stelvio...the extra 600 or so Lbs doesn't help either...

I agree with Visconte though it is more sporting with an equal ride to the large German or English SUVs...

The Top end Levante's make me wonder why anyone would pay for an Urus.....

The optional silk interior in Maserati is enough to fill my soul with lust....only the glass interior in Lexus' compares - sort of - makes BMW, Lambo, Audi, Mercedes, etc look cheap in my eyes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
One curious feature is that the steering wheel is squared off in the middle instead of rounded. It felt too weird to me. I could see myself getting comfortable with it.
John

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, AOR, I thought the ride quality on the Levante was much better than the Stelvio. Granted, Quad wheels and PZ4's have a significant affect but short of a Full Sized Range Rover, it was the best riding SUV I had experienced. Don't get me wrong, our Stelvio rides VERY well.
Good discussion. Supporting the brands was the intent here. I am narrowed down to Italians and Brits these days.
Asian design--->LEXUX YUCK, need I say more. Honda ->awkward. etc.
Germany been there, done that
Americans hold lots of promise. Too bad the Aviator is too big ..Loks like a winner for the brand. A more modern Range Rover.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Agreed, the Stelvio handles better, but the Levante has a superior ride...sorry should have made that more clear. Levante heavier..better ride. Stelvio lighter...superior width the length ratio...better handling.

I wonder at the awd. Both are called Q4 but Alfa (I believe) has the better (lighter, faster responding) center diff. At least if the marketing around the "patented" aspects of that diff are true....which would also contribute to the Alfa having better handling.

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
I drove one last year at Faulkner AR M and absolutely loved the luxury and aesthetic. My dream car- Lotto splurge. Where the Stelvio is lithe and athletic Levante is luxurious and uber refined like an Armani suit. Unfortunately there is some market overlap but the fact both exist is testament to FCA commitment and Italian elan. These are exciting times as consumers and the Germans are ripe for conquest!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts