Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to kick off and progress track this fault.
2018 Stelvio (Milano Edizione) 36k Service carried out 3-4 months ago. New Selenia oil included.

19-4-22 Oil level Nominal
20-4-22 "Max oil level exceeded" (full bar) pops up.

Called Alfa to see if oil level sensor is included in the EX Warranty.
Told the diagnostic now is "£178.00 !! before further progress can be made and that cost obviously not covered under warranty either if the sensor is not covered.
Thank you very much and goodbye Alfa service.

Booked in with good local mechanic 5-5-22 for suspected sensor failure (Fingers crossed) and new oil.
Will update with root cause once known.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just to kick off and progress track this fault.
2018 Stelvio (Milano Edizione) 36k Service carried out 3-4 months ago. New Selenia oil included.

19-4-22 Oil level Nominal
20-4-22 "Max oil level exceeded" (full bar) pops up.

Called Alfa to see if oil level sensor is included in the EX Warranty.
Told the diagnostic now is "£178.00 !! before further progress can be made and that cost obviously not covered under warranty either if the sensor is not covered.
Thank you very much and goodbye Alfa service.

Booked in with good local mechanic 5-5-22 for suspected sensor failure (Fingers crossed) and new oil.
Will update with root cause once known.
doubt it's a sensor failure.... More likely is simply overfilling. It's very sensitive, just overfilling by very small volume can cause the max exceeded indication.
Also takes some time (and specific) conditions for the level sensor to update, which is why it can take a little time for the message to pop up
Can also happen if the oil level is quite high, and car is not level

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doubt it's a sensor failure.... More likely is simply overfilling. It's very sensitive, just overfilling by very small volume can cause the max exceeded indication.
Also takes some time (and specific) conditions for the level sensor to update, which is why it can take a little time for the message to pop up
Can also happen if the oil level is quite high, and car is not level
Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate all comments.
It’s been fine for 4 months since the oil went in and used most days.
It could be several things supported by multiple opinions and objections which is why it’s going in to get fixed and why I’ll share the root cause once known. I believe sharing the experience may help someone else or influence more accurate opinions and decisions.
There are multiple topics on these sensor failures on the Giulia forums (Same ultrasonic sensor i believe) but I agree and the best I could hope for is slight overfilled.
It’s got to have an MOT anyway so my regular trusted mech who services the car will no doubt sort it one way or another.
thank you jwq2

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
One question just to be clear, your extended warranty told you the diagnostic cost isn't covered no matter what right? What about the sensor if that is the issue?

Definitely interested in hearing updates, no matter how you cut it this is a strange case.

Sensors don't fail often, if they do, why? Often an underlaying issue.

It could be overfilled. Why did it take so long to realize it? Maybe the overfill is minor and it took being parked on a particular grade to trigger because of where the sensor is?

It got out of calibration. Again why? That doesn't happen often either.

Probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of.

Let us know what you find!!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I think the 1/2 quart the engine "eats", is more specifically being burned and undergoing a process known as "coking". There has been alot of talk that issues with oil coking have been solved however a study published by the International Journal of Engine Research in 2018 shows that isn't true. If what I believe is true that means you are getting about 1/2 quart give or take (there are losses in the conversion obviously) of hard carbon particulate in your engine every 10,000 miles. The oil filter....might hold a half quart. Maybe, probably closer to a 1/4.

Telling you it plugs....don't wait 10k if you want to keep the engine running well for a long time.

Attached is a 2010 paper that isn't behind a paywall..sorry not going to share my password.

This is not an Alfa specific issue btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Q4, Tricolor White,
69 Posts
Interesting timing on this thread. I changed the oil about 5 months ago. Less than 2K miles on the car since the oil was changed. About 2 weeks ago, we started seeing the "Max oil level exceeded" warning. I have been wanting to carefully remove a couple ounces of oil to see if the message goes away. I have been wondering why, after 4+ months of driving this message pops up. I was very careful not to overfill the oil, and let the oil-pan drain for about a 1/2 hours before putting installing the new filter, installing the plug then filling with oil.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
It should be stated, just as a matter of policy....

Make sure your coolant levels haven't changed.

We assume this is a sensor issue but....if the coolant goes into the oil..it can trigger that same warning because it raises the level of fluid in the oil pan.

Make sure you aren't losing coolant. If you aren't I wouldn't stress about the oil but get it looked at ASAP. And please report what is found back here.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Q4, Tricolor White,
69 Posts
Regarding my Stelvio, as we all know, we don't have a dip stick, and have to rely on the sensor. OTOH, to remove the plug and check the oil level manually, I can't fit/ crawl under the car to remove the plug and keep the car level at the same time. This means to me, one has to lift the car off the ground using a lift, or jack all 4 wheels evenly off the level ground, in order to be able to remove the plug, and insert an oil level stick. What a waste of time, just to manually confirm the oil level!!!

I removed the oil fill cap, and do not see any moisture/condensation. I will stick with plan A, and loosen the drain plug enough to remove a couple ounces of oil. My coolant level appear to be normal compared to the last time I checked it a couple months ago.

To me, there is some evidence that my sensor is the problem. I will inspect this in more detail when I swap out my wheels from snow tires to summer tires. (I also have my P0040 error, that wont go away - another thread.)
FYI, My closest Alfa Stealer is about 4 hours away.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate all comments.
It’s been fine for 4 months since the oil went in and used most days.
It could be several things supported by multiple opinions and objections which is why it’s going in to get fixed and why I’ll share the root cause once known. I believe sharing the experience may help someone else or influence more accurate opinions and decisions.
There are multiple topics on these sensor failures on the Giulia forums (Same ultrasonic sensor i believe) but I agree and the best I could hope for is slight overfilled.
It’s got to have an MOT anyway so my regular trusted mech who services the car will no doubt sort it one way or another.
thank you jwq2
I will be very interested to hear your results after you have it looked at. I had a similar occurrence. Right after most recent dealer oil change, the amount on the reading was exactly half a bar. Let that sit for several drive cycles to see if it would budge. Did not. Then, because I am overly sensitive to optimal oil levels, I added about 3 ounces. After a drive cycle, it adjusted up to 3/4 bar---happy. Stayed at 3/4 for almost 3 months. Then, one day when I checked, it was a full bar (but not over) and still is now. I do not have the "max oil level exceeded" warning, but am just waiting for it to pop.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One question just to be clear, your extended warranty told you the diagnostic cost isn't covered no matter what right? What about the sensor if that is the issue?

Definitely interested in hearing updates, no matter how you cut it this is a strange case.

Sensors don't fail often, if they do, why? Often an underlaying issue.

It could be overfilled. Why did it take so long to realize it? Maybe the overfill is minor and it took being parked on a particular grade to trigger because of where the sensor is?

It got out of calibration. Again why? That doesn't happen often either.

Probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of.

Let us know what you find!!
Hi Alfaoffroad

If the sensor was covered under Ex warranty then so would the cost of the diagnostic. Although im not the person to entertain a business charging nonsense prices.
I’ve been bitten quite badly by UK Alfa main dealers Ex Warranty over a failed Multiair unit (different story different thread) previously.
As for the sensor failure frequency thats why i think it important to log it on here. But from what i have read across the Giulia forum the sensor has on occasion failed, Not suggesting that there was not underlying reasons for those failures
Had a chat with my mechanic who will diagnose and hopefully fix, got him the manual level stick online too so he can accurately get the level correct to eliminate that first.

The manual says that the sensor doesn’t record the level if the car in not on the level, if it did then it wouldn’t be a very clever level sensor especially as it has the ability to invoke limp mode, so i am at a loss as to why it takes 5 months to flag up the warning after the oil change.

Will certainly share the root cause on this thread ! Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting timing on this thread. I changed the oil about 5 months ago. Less than 2K miles on the car since the oil was changed. About 2 weeks ago, we started seeing the "Max oil level exceeded" warning. I have been wanting to carefully remove a couple ounces of oil to see if the message goes away. I have been wondering why, after 4+ months of driving this message pops up. I was very careful not to overfill the oil, and let the oil-pan drain for about a 1/2 hours before putting installing the new filter, installing the plug then filling with oil.
Hi and thanks for adding to this thread, the symptoms seem very alike. It will be really interesting to compare both root causes once known. Thanks and good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be very interested to hear your results after you have it looked at. I had a similar occurrence. Right after most recent dealer oil change, the amount on the reading was exactly half a bar. Let that sit for several drive cycles to see if it would budge. Did not. Then, because I am overly sensitive to optimal oil levels, I added about 3 ounces. After a drive cycle, it adjusted up to 3/4 bar---happy. Stayed at 3/4 for almost 3 months. Then, one day when I checked, it was a full bar (but not over) and still is now. I do not have the "max oil level exceeded" warning, but am just waiting for it to pop.
Thanks TDW11 ! Sound very familiar again. Both diagnosis will for sure be interesting to you one day soon no doubt. If they are the same root cause it increases the likelihood of yours being something similar or the same.
I should know and share the results after wed 4th April.

Thanks TDW11

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wednesday update from the original thread: “Max oil level exceeded“
Mech MOT’d the car passed no advisories.
Used the manual dip stick that i bought (Chrysler part) the measuring rod was marginally too wide for the hole :(
Anyway he pulled out 1/4 Ltr of oil out and reset the oil level. NOPE “Max oil level exceeded“ still present.

New Selenia oil ordered now as the oil will need to be removed to check the sensor. Car going back in on Friday 6th.

I guess on the plus side this suggests that its not water or fuel migration to the oil system.

Update to follow.

ps anyone know the correct manual dip stick to buy (Other than the really expensive MOPAR one ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Final update:
SORTED !!!
The tech drained all the oil out. Roughly 5.1Lts plus 0.1 from previous = No migration of fuel or water into the oil section as 5.2Lts went in during the service.
Ran engine flush for 30 mins.
Left to drain for 45mins
New oil in 4.7Lts ish (not wanting to overfill)
Carried out oil reset level via the techs software. Didn't work still reading Max level exceeded.
Tech drove the car for a few miles and without warning Oil level returned to normal and the alarm cleared.

Root cause was determined to be crud or old oil contaminating the level sensor as really nothing has been done other that an engine oil flush and new oil.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Final update:
SORTED !!!
The tech drained all the oil out. Roughly 5.1Lts plus 0.1 from previous = No migration of fuel or water into the oil section as 5.2Lts went in during the service.
Ran engine flush for 30 mins.
Left to drain for 45mins
New oil in 4.7Lts ish (not wanting to overfill)
Carried out oil reset level via the techs software. Didn't work still reading Max level exceeded.
Tech drove the car for a few miles and without warning Oil level returned to normal and the alarm cleared.

Root cause was determined to be crud or old oil contaminating the level sensor as really nothing has been done other that an engine oil flush and new oil.
Thanks for the update and glad to hear it was not more serious. Good info to know if ever get that warning.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts