Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
As someone that is about to buy a used 21 Stelvio, I am left scratching my head as to why AR made things like this so complicated! They knew reliability was their biggest nemesis going into the American markets, why make things more complicated than they need to be? Silly Engineers!

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Q4, Tricolor White,
69 Posts
Our Alfa service manage told us that not having a dip stick is/was a Stellantis requirement. Car manufacturers continue to try to prevent the vehicle owners from being able to change their own oil and perform their own maintenance. Great revenue stream and easy money for them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
AT $268 for an oil change by our Alfa dealer + 3.5 hour drive each way), I figured out how to reset the level sensor, and change the oil myself. Probably took a total of 2 hours (including research how to reset the warning light and sensor) the first time. Now it takes about 45 minutes. My Ford Transit van takes about 30 minutes to change total. Most of my Jaguars take 20 to 25 minutes total.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Our Alfa service manage told us that not having a dip stick is/was a Stellantis requirement. Car manufacturers continue to try to prevent the vehicle owners from being able to change their own oil and perform their own maintenance. Great revenue stream and easy money for them.
Your service manager is wrong. The 2.0 was designed long before the Stellantis takeover.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your service manager is wrong. The 2.0 was designed long before the Stellantis takeover.
You are correct. He should have said, FCA. (Stealer service person probably doesn't care about history of Stellantis or FCA, only the context of the story he tells.) I presume that the same logic applies. Big automotive corporations making it harder for indy shops and individuals to service their own vehicles. Even though there is sound logic why many manufacturers are going this route. It makes sense to me from when an engine is new, to when it starts getting higher mileage/older, and then when it starts to leak and burn/consume oil, then one will wish they had a good ole fashioned dip stick in order to be able to top off the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You are correct. He should have said, FCA. (Stealer service person probably doesn't care about history of Stellantis or FCA, only the context of the story he tells.) I presume that the same logic applies. Big automotive corporations making it harder for indy shops and individuals to service their own vehicles. Even though there is sound logic why many manufacturers are going this route. It makes sense to me from when an engine is new, to when it starts getting higher mileage/older, and then when it starts to leak and burn/consume oil, then one will wish they had a good ole fashioned dip stick in order to be able to top off the engine.

Beating the proverbial dead horse, but the lack of a dipstick really is baffling. I am certain even the certified technicians would rather a dipstick then to rely on a maybe working computer to tell them where the oil level is!

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
791 Posts
Just an FYI, it's beneficial to reset the oil viscosity sensor.
I had gone three oil changes without resetting it,
But thanks to a member here, (I'll identify him if he permits), I had my oil viscosity and timer reset with an Autel scanner.

My last Oil change was less than 1000 miles ago, and after about a month, the sensor was reading about 1/8 low, once the viscosity stuff was reset, my oil has returned to showing max full.

So without resetting the viscosity, it may appear to read low, which may tempt one into adding unneeded oil.

if you're getting the viscosity reset every fill, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Hey Hey!! Geeze you guys are rough. I used to have 8 Jaguars, but 3 of my daily drivers, and the XK8 were all totaled by our insurance company after the severe hail storm we had back in July. (Auctioned off and parted out in pieces I presume.)
When I wrote about changing oil in 5 of them, I meant the 3 X-Type Estates, (Now only one left kept as salvaged), my summer S-Type R, and the XK-8.
My wife's Stelvio finally goes into the shop on the 29th for it's $10+K in hail damage to its Trofeo White Tri-Coat paint. My poor van has $9K in hail damage too, still waiting for its month in a body shop.
My other cats sleep a lot in the garage under wraps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
But thanks to a member here, (I'll identify him if he permits), I had my oil viscosity and timer reset with an Autel scanner.

My last Oil change was less than 1000 miles ago, and after about a month, the sensor was reading about 1/8 low, once the viscosity stuff was reset, my oil has returned to showing max full.

So without resetting the viscosity, it may appear to read low, which may tempt one into adding unneeded oil.

if you're getting the viscosity reset every fill, this shouldn't be an issue for you.
It took some updating and trying; however, we finally reset Russ's car!

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
378 Posts

I recently had an oil change and the dealer reset all the notifications. It was one tick below max immediately afterwards, then crept down to 3 ticks below and is now back at one tick below. :unsure:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts