Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Overall very good for FCA thanks to RAM and Grand Cherokee/Gladiator from Jeep. Only 761 USA brethren and sisteren rolled out in shiny new Stelvios during the month. (but happy to report seeing an average of 2 per day lately-- despite the deadpan response to my warm greetings).

In perspective, it seems like FCA is in pretty good shape vs. the competition. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-31/preview-u-s-may-auto-sales-crowded-car-lots-spur-big-discounts

Interesting to note FCA and GM keeping Tesla afloat with over-the-back-wall carbon credit payoffs. Strategically best to bet the cash on the weakest player rather than subsidize competitors that can actually do harm long term (depending on your level of Elon worship you may disagree). https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-03/tesla-s-secret-source-of-cash-unmasked-as-gm-and-fiat-chrysler

Source of FCA sales by model: https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/06/fca-surprises-with-sales-hike-44937

·
Registered
368 Posts
In this downward industry trend where all car makers are suffering (even though FCA had a 2% increase in sales in May), here is a positive headline, true to me and many other members in the forum:

Alfa Romeo Is Stealing Customers From The Germans | CarBuzz

https://carbuzz.com/news/jeep-owners-trading-up-to-alfa-romeo

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
How many people on this forum are having their B-day right now?

I'm turning a year, need to go put my new registration sticker on. Last year at this point incentives were ridiculous and sales reflected it. Now they are using a more conservative approach to sales and the numbers reflect that.

One thing not being reported in that article....so far in 2019, Ram has outsold Chevrolet. You read that right, Ram is outselling Chevrolet making them the #2 truck brand in 2019 so far. Major accomplishment, huge. Someone at GM is getting fired, maybe some teams and I bet they announce another redesign very soon if this keeps up.

Considering both of them are competing with brand new designs, this is earth shaking. Last time Ram outsold Chevy it was 1999.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ram-passes-chevrolet-become-second-popular-full-size-truck-brand/

Industry is down but FCA is actually in a good place comparatively. #2 truck sales with 13% corporate profit margins and a modern platform adaptable to cars and SUVs not bad.

...BTW Chevy truck sales are down 16% and GMC down 2%, on a brand new truck design. GM should be looking for a corporate partner. Trucks are the only thing keeping them alive and the new one doesn't sell? That is very bad for them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With Giulia-to-Stelvio ratio basically one-to-one, again, that cannot be good for AR.

The Stelvio was supposed to be their "golden ticket" back into the USA market.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The suv market overall is not great. The West cost is barely getting gas prices down from the crazy highs a few weeks ago and back till feb almost. SUVs other than Jeep are made and broke by gas prices. (Part of why an suv only strategy is ...not smart... to many people)

Jeep is its own thing and its sales rarely follow market trends anymore..its a monster due to the off roaders and posers. (Other people buy jeep too, majority)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/discounts-on-suvs-are-getting-bigger-as-dealer-inventories-rise-11550494801

·
Registered
216 Posts
US car sales are probably going to get worse before they get better because of the tariffs on Mexican goods. The industry's supply chain involves Mexico to such a degree that the cost of a vehicle could increase by $1300 if tariffs go as high as 25%. Then there's the auto specific tariffs (not in effect yet) that soon may be imposed on cars and car parts that are imported to gain leverage in trade negotiations against Japan and Europe, which again could raise prices hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the tariff rate.

·
Registered
508 Posts
With Giulia-to-Stelvio ratio basically one-to-one, again, that cannot be good for AR.

The Stelvio was supposed to be their "golden ticket" back into the USA market.
I agree. That was the goal, Giulia was definitely not cutting it. Plus, SUV/Crossovers are the cash cows of automotive companies (in the US anyway).

It might be best to wait and see if the Dear Leader will take us into a recession in 2020. An oversupplied market and a recession might dictate stoooopid sales!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
"golden ticket"

wishful thinking.
a giulia doesn't get camry customers and a stelvio doesn't get whatever the equivalent suv is customer.

neither is mass market, by design and intent, and if either was the right vehicle for the wants boring market - it would cease to be an Alfa.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"golden ticket"

wishful thinking.
a giulia doesn't get camry customers and a stelvio doesn't get whatever the equivalent suv is customer.

neither is mass market, by design and intent, and if either was the right vehicle for the wants boring market - it would cease to be an Alfa.
Agree. If Alfa was mass marketed many of us owners would lose interest because we want something different. Mass market equals average vehicles for typical consumers in the high volume portion of the auto market.

The current automotive overstock is partly a result of a strong multi-year run. I work in the steel industry where we see the leading edge of both a downturn and recovery. Forecasts are not great through year end. Have seen this cycle repeat multiple times in my career. Just like the stock market a correction is required after years of strong performance. It's never fun to return to the mean, but it is part of the cycle.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Lost, that was an intersting article.

First I've read where they said GM is purchasing credits as a hedge against future regulations. That is smart business.

The downturn in the industry is a little different this time. Normally it is market forces and some regulation forcing the adjustment. This time regulation is the major factor.

True, smog and safety reg have effected the industry massivly causing major shifts and downturns, the scale of the shift to EV is unprecedented, plus the fines.

The fines are the worst part. They have created a business environment where manufacturers are afraid to sell certain models because it will cost them. But those are the models that sell best in many cases.

That is would be a serious problem in any industry.

Untill a manufacturer can make an EV that outsells the equivalent gas model they are in a major bind. Considering development times we could be 6 years plus away, with nothing but r&d expenditures and increasing fines.

(Before someone goes TESLA outsells. Not really, Tesla is tanking harder than the ice powered competition...cause they dont outsell regardless of how they rig deliveries, pre orders and the blog-o-sphere.)

In the meantime more environmental benifit would come from synchronizing stop lights in low traffic hours, and removing vehicles built before 1984 from the road. (Allow for well maintained classics, talking about people who daily drive beaters. Just removing old VW Bugs from the road might slow climate change more..still millions of those being driven everyday worldwide)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
quit burning California by spending money on maintenance of the wires instead of expensive alternative energy - that would do more than the even in CA bizarre idea to eliminate old cars.
CA's electric rates are already double the national average, and will probably double again after this PGE bankruptcy.
my nickel says they do little to reduce the unforeseen and carbon laden burning - and double down on foolishness.

BUT natural forest fires - with all their natural carbon instead of burnt homes and tires and computers etc - are part of nature.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How is that good Alfa Stelvio sales down 36% May and 17% YTD not good! They sell 760 Stelvios a month that is pathetic
My local Alfa dealer does not have any 2019 Stelvios or Giulias on their lot. A salesman I talked to said they are trying to sell their remaining 2018 vehicles first. They are discounting them heavily from the MSRP but not selling many.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I live in the desert with full sun exposure and a roof of solar panels...could care less about power rates, do my part to bring them down...and live in the area with the highest percentage of solar and wind contribution in SoCal..not to mention all the off grid artist hippies.. So agree on alternative energies. (Which also cause problems..wind we are discovering raises the ambient temperatures long term and also causes dust pollution. Solar creates major light pollution at night from light reflection and raises temperatures, especially at night)

Getting cars over 20 years old out of the daily driver pool would still do more than electrification, when you factor in that people arent replacing old cars with EVs, they are replacing new cars that are comparatively clean anyway.

...love old cars...doesnt really change things.

Plus, we aren't talking about just Ca.

IMO do none of the above and focus on cleaning up all the other industrial polluters and commercial vehicles, while developing fuel cell technologies...but what do I know...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
haha - there was a recent thread where you pointed out your "lifestyle choice" of exceptionally long commutes, which burns more fuel, tires, and cars, and of course adds to traffic all along your long drive, causing everyone else to burn more fuel.

maybe the person who opts for a much shorter commute and doesn't require regular manufacturing of a new vehicle isn't any more of a net polluter. maybe a home located in a more moderate climate area of CA requires less heat and electricity, less rare metals mined and manufactured into solar panels, batteries etc, in a country that has next to no environmental standards AND is building tons of new coal power plants to run their industry, has more of a not "just California" effect than a bunch of subsidized solar panels.

California has long been at the forefront of transferring pollution creating anything to neighboring states and distant countries with either less draconian standards or no standards at all. net effect - not so good.

"off the grid artist hippies" - the ones commuting in old poorly running vw vans or diesel buses, while emitting an assortment of other up in smoke pollutants, on their way to the desert to participate in a massive polluting bonfire party? hahaha

·
Registered
132 Posts
Agree. If Alfa was mass marketed many of us owners would lose interest because we want something different. Mass market equals average vehicles for typical consumers in the high volume portion of the auto market.

The current automotive overstock is partly a result of a strong multi-year run. I work in the steel industry where we see the leading edge of both a downturn and recovery. Forecasts are not great through year end. Have seen this cycle repeat multiple times in my career. Just like the stock market a correction is required after years of strong performance. It's never fun to return to the mean, but it is part of the cycle.

So true. AR brought in too many Stelvio's last year. Maybe a little optimistic, but there are also a lot of 2018 Macan's left over around here. (only real Stelvio competition) Local Porsche dealer puts a few miles on all them and lists them as CFO. Probably moved the "sale" to their fleet last year, or first quarter.

AR needs to get the new GTV (Guilia Coupe) here soon to generate some media interest and some dealer traffic. It will not be a big seller, but a nice halo car. The 4C really isn't doing that job right now.

That is how it works at the Porsche dealer, come look at the sports cars, be reminded by your spouse it is impractical, leave with a sporty SUV. AR could play that very well. Everyone really wants a Coupe', drives a sedan or SUV.

So says the guy with two SUV's in garage. :wink

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you guys think that there will be a bunch of 2019 QV's extra like the 2018's this year? Did they bring over less 2019's than 2018? QV's that is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you guys think that there will be a bunch of 2019 QV's extra like the 2018's this year? Did they bring over less 2019's than 2018? QV's that is.

I'm guessing that '19 QVs are going to start getting discounted soon. The launch of the Tonale and the mild hybrid drivetrains are going to siphon off some of the general Stelvio and hot engine demand that would otherwise go to the Stelvio QV. On top of that car demand in general is down, and now the Stelvio QV has formidable competition in the form of the GLC63, with more on the way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Am I missing something? I have now ready about the Tonale a couple of times in this forum. It was my understanding the Tonale is still 2 years away?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts