Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the car only measure the oil level when it's been idling for 5 minutes? Will I get a warning if it's running low on oil while driving?

Background:
On a 7 hour drive to NY with my Stelvio, and I ran into a problem: I got the low oil light while idling at a particularly long drive-through line, and when I stopped to buy some oil I noticed a leak under the car (I wasn't running the AC during the drive at all). I put about 3/4 of a quart of the only 0w30 oil I could find into the car and drove the last 2 hours into NY with no issue.

The car has been parked all weekend with nothing leaking. The oil level has been the same since I added oil. Now I'm faced with another 7 hour drive home, and the dealership here can't take a look at the car for a day or 2. So, I guess my only option is to drive home and pay very close attention to the oil level. I just need to know if I need to stop every hour and idle for 5 minutes or if the car will actually warn me while I'm on the highway...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does the car only measure the oil level when it's been idling for 5 minutes? Will I get a warning if it's running low on oil while driving?

Background:
On a 7 hour drive to NY with my Stelvio, and I ran into a problem: I got the low oil light while idling at a particularly long drive-through line, and when I stopped to buy some oil I noticed a leak under the car (I wasn't running the AC during the drive at all). I put about 3/4 of a quart of the only 0w30 oil I could find into the car and drove the last 2 hours into NY with no issue.

The car has been parked all weekend with nothing leaking. The oil level has been the same since I added oil. Now I'm faced with another 7 hour drive home, and the dealership here can't take a look at the car for a day or 2. So, I guess my only option is to drive home and pay very close attention to the oil level. I just need to know if I need to stop every hour and idle for 5 minutes or if the car will actually warn me while I'm on the highway...
You have to run it for 5 minutes (on flat ground), turn it off (open and close the door so everything resets) then turn it back on and let it idle for another 5 minutes, the display should update. If you put in 3/4 of a quart (24oz) you should be at 3/4 between the white markers on the oil level. I have been told anywhere between the lines is OK and if you get the warning just add some oil. If mine gets to the 1/4 make I add 16oz to bring it back up to 3/4. Mine uses around 16-24oz every 5k miles, dealership says that is acceptable.

Reactions: Huecifer

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply - I can't believe something so important is so finicky to even check. I initially figured it was just from a little usage (it is summer, after all, and I was on the highway for hours), but whatever was leaking under the car has me really concerned. Does the. AC compressor turn on for other reasons even if you don't have the AC in the cabin on?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Q4 Sport, MonteCarlo Blue
100 Posts
Yes, it runs the compressor if you have defrost on (manual or automatic), if the humidity is high, etc... but that's if the climate control system is on. If everything is totally off, no, it shouldn't run. That said, the AC compressor should not be leaking oil, just water/condensation will come off the bottom of the car.

My car was leaking from the oil filter after my last oil change. Long story, but that dealer was quite incompetent and I had to take it back several times. It was easy to spot; there was a puddle of oil (not water) anywhere I parked.

·
489 Posts
The low oil warning can come on while driving. I've had that happen two or three times. Always when it is 8000 or so miles since the last oil change. So the low oil warning was almost certainly accurate. And not unexpected.

I just add a quart and carry on.

What is annoying is that the oil level display doesn't update for awhile. The first time it happened I added oil and followed the procedure in the manual, but the oil level display never updated. So I didn't know what to do next.

Now I know that it will eventually* update if I drive it for awhile. Eventually the low level warning goes off and looking at the oil level display while driving then reflects that quart that I added.

*In my case "eventually" means 5 to 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Q4 Sport, MonteCarlo Blue
100 Posts
Mine keeps changing it's mind whenever I'm in the drive thru at Popeye's. Always Popeye's, never my garage 🤷‍♂️

1 - 7 of 7 Posts