Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am VERY tempted, even more so having test driven one this afternoon!

It's an Alfa (positive), but it's an Alfa (negative) - and there's one question that I'm not confident the dealer actually knows the answer to!

Yes, I would love to own an Alfa (who wouldn't?), but there's still that lingering doubt over reliability etc, etc - what do the members of this forum have to say/can you reassure me that those days are gone?

And the question ... does this vehicle come with Adaptive Headlights ie auto dimming) as standard - this is only mentioned specifically as part of the Driver Assistance Package Plus pack, but that's not available on the Milano Edizione - the dealer is saying that means it IS standard, but it's not listed under Standard Equipment?

And finally ... your general views would be appreciated.

Thank you ...

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Despite all of the negative comments in the press (as they say, 'fake news' looking for an angle to attract attention and create buzz; besides they have to find SOMETHING to discuss ad nauseum), there is not one bolt in common with the 'old' Alfa Romeo and the new ones. Because the Giorgio platform is the future for quite a number of vehicles in development, you can be sure FCA threw everything they had at not only the high tech manufacturing but also after sale service so as to establish a reputation for reliability, great design, and driver engagement to differentiate the brand. You can easily find factory videos showing state-of-the-art manufacturing and the gravity of this product cannot be understated. In USA we have a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. I searched hard and couldn't find one negative or defective vehicle. Further, when we had a small issue it was resolved promptly and thoroughly which tells me the customers you earn are worth keeping and reputation is everything.

At some point you have to move forward on good faith- I think it would be safe to say that Alfa drivers are not the same breed as the risk averse numbed masses lining up for dressed up Toyotas. You can easily find 'others' have major issues too and it's impossible to satisfy the reactive and emotional consumer all the time.

My understanding is that the option packages add features so that the premium trim would be in addition to the base features-- but either way you have to confirm with the dealer if it's important to you to the point of refusing delivery if it's not what you were promised.

That said, even though my Stelvio has auto headlights, I am still unsure if the adaptive headlight feature is included on all of them
as in Guilia (see link to video). Anybody know about this? My understanding is it would be easy to confirm by turning the wheel while parked/headlights 'on'.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Just to add- small but significant item: The headlights on Stelvio are EXCELLENT vs. other vehicles I have driven and there are separate comments in this forum confirming that as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love my Stelvio but it is only two weeks old. I have zero issues with the way it performs and looks- and the quality appears very good.

Some members are frustrated with the Infotainment. As of now, I think the infotainment is fine. I do have the upgraded (larger) screen and the upgraded radio.

The choice may come down to finances. I have enough money that I can take a risk on a new model from a new to the USA manufacturer. If resale value plummets I can handle it without any issues or regrets. None of this implies that the Stelvio is or will be unreliable. All I am saying is the risk is minimal for me given my finances.

I selected the Stelvio over the Macan, Q5 and X3 because it is rarer and is very responsive and is beautiful to look at. The Macan is ugly, but does outperform the Stelvio. The Q5 lacks soul (I drive an S5 so I am not an Audi hater). And the X3 looks like the same old BMW style (I owned an X5 for 15 years, so I am tired of that type of styling).

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
CONFIRMED-- ADAPTIVE and self-leveling headlights are STANDARD in the USA version of Stelvio.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
That said, even though my Stelvio has auto headlights, I am still unsure if the adaptive headlight feature is included on all of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzMZNSArB4 as in Guilia (see link to video). Anybody know about this? My understanding is it would be easy to confirm by turning the wheel while parked/headlights 'on'.
I highly suspect this is a feature that is not enabled in software on the US models. one two separate occasions I have seen the headlight bulbs in my Stelvio move themselves during the engine start sequence (once while parked behind a car clean enough to see them clearly reflected, the other while remote starting it)

My guess is the hardware is there but they didn't get regulatory approval or something.

edit, referring only to the beam steering function of the headlights.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
CONFIRMED-- ADAPTIVE and self-leveling headlights are STANDARD in the USA version of Stelvio.
any technical details or specifics on this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts