67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autotrader.com: 5,181

Cars.com: 4,772

Average these two: 5181+4772 = 9953, 9953/2 = 4976.5

January '18 sales, carsalesbase.com: 688

4976.5/688= 7.23

Feb 2, 2018 months of inventory: 7.23

Up from last months, 5 months of inventory.

FYI:
Volvo XC90 = 2 months
BMW X3 - less than 1 month

To be updated next month.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It will be interesting to see what happens with inventory in the U.S. now that the Chinese market has tanked.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just my opinion, for the most part, having inventory on the lot falls squarely on Alfa Romeo and their lack of enthusiasm to sell the Sletvio in the United States. To me, Alfa Romeo just has too many “to be released later or if equipped” for our vehicles. Alfa plans on having many more added options for the US, but I think they mis-judged what we want now and to be able to retro fit options later when available. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Its just a REMARKABLY STUPID strategy to tell everyone "all those options come later"!
When a brand has been absent from a highly competitive market for a couple of decades, and it doesn't even have a good reputation for dependability, a half A$$ introduction is the worse thing you can do. Does AR really plan to compete with dependable companies like Porsche and BMW like this??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wound up making a purchase recently of a different vehicle than the Stelvio. I REALLY wanted to pull the trigger on the Alfa but just couldn't get past a few key missing features. In addition, I wasn't comfortable with the execution of Alfa's re-entry into the marketplace. I'm concerned that they are currently under financial stress given the high amount of inventory and the lack of advertising to compete with their rivals. If they don't make it, the car will devalue substantially and servicing it will be more of a challenge over time.

I'm pulling for them to make this work in the US and strongly believe it will be good for the market overall. My hope is to be in the market again in 3 years and have very little reason not to pick the Stelvio - hopefully the Quadrifoglio! Figure it out Alfa and make this work!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
they HAVE to get the stelvio quadrifoglios here in the US - it may not be what most people end up buying, but it is what generates excitement, magazines, newspaper, and youtube raves, that get people to notice Alfa is here and go to the dealer.

I am still waiting to be able to order one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
low sales figure

I really wanted to lease a Stelvio. They make it difficult, beyond all the delayed equipment and reliability issues that have been discussed in this forum. First, I contacted 6 dealers by phone (left at least two message each), and email. Two responded. In both cases, the price and lease terms are not even close to those of BMW. It would cost me the same to drive a well equipped Stelvio as the X3M (yes, the 6 cyc M car which by all metrics outperforms the Stelvio). Additionally, one of the two dealers I spoke with said he would not even consider ordering a car to my specs in terms of color, interior and equipment -- he said they had plenty of choices in inventory, and take it or leave it. Pretty pathetic. I think this guy must be used to selling Chrysler mini-vans. I have been an owner of several BMWs, and while I was ready for a change, I will be leasing a new X3M when my lease is up.

·
Registered
536 Posts
you reallyl have to take the x3 out of the equation in terms of inventory, it's built in S. Carolina so it would be unlikely for dealers to have high volumes.

4976.5/688= 7.23

FYI:
Volvo XC90 = 2 months

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think additional perspective is needed here as well.

Number of Alfa dealers in the US - What I found said 167 dealers.
Number of BMW dealers in US 341.
couldn't find a listing for volvo dealer numbers
Another important variable is the fact that alfa has only been back in the us since 2015 (and not a meaningful presence until mid 2016). Volvo,.and BMW have been around for decades.

That said, some of the issues sited are valid. They should not have released stelvios before ALL the options in the brochures and such were available, that's ridiculous. Also, dealer experience is hit or miss, some great dealers, some awful dealers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really wanted to lease a Stelvio. They make it difficult, beyond all the delayed equipment and reliability issues that have been discussed in this forum. First, I contacted 6 dealers by phone (left at least two message each), and email. Two responded. In both cases, the price and lease terms are not even close to those of BMW. It would cost me the same to drive a well equipped Stelvio as the X3M (yes, the 6 cyc M car which by all metrics outperforms the Stelvio).
That wasn’t my experience. Two weeks ago Alfa was actively pushing a two year lease with an effective interest rate of 0.28%; in addition, my capitalized cost was 12% under MSRP (and I didn’t even try and negotiate for lower; I’m sure I could have gotten another percent or two.) On a two year 15K mile/yr lease I am paying about $500 less per month than I would on a Macan S on a three year lease. I didn’t cross shop a BMW because I had no interest in them. Historically BMW heavily subvents their leases; inflated residuals bring down lease payments but make it very difficult to get out early. I hope Alfa makes it because as a long tone car enthusiast I appreciate the addition of their models to the marketplace. On a relatively cheap two year lease I have little to no exposure if they flop.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That wasn’t my experience. Two weeks ago Alfa was actively pushing a two year lease with an effective interest rate of 0.28%; in addition, my capitalized cost was 12% under MSRP (and I didn’t even try and negotiate for lower; I’m sure I could have gotten another percent or two.) On a two year 15K mile/yr lease I am paying about $500 less per month than I would on a Macan S on a three year lease. I didn’t cross shop a BMW because I had no interest in them. Historically BMW heavily subvents their leases; inflated residuals bring down lease payments but make it very difficult to get out early. I hope Alfa makes it because as a long tone car enthusiast I appreciate the addition of their models to the marketplace. On a relatively cheap two year lease I have little to no exposure if they flop.
That is an excellent point for a lease. Right now the bulging inventory makes a lease very attractive given the fact that dealers want to move stuff off their lots. And, yes, they will give you hefty discounts whether you lease or purchase. So in short i agree with your assessment that you have little or no exposure if AR flops.
But, you see, some of us care, and want to genuinely see AR succeed, and despite our long list of objections and complaints we like the brand. It may come as a surprise to some given our complaints on this forum, but that's because we really like to see their incompetence disappear and see them as a viable competitor to other automotive companies.
AR has succeeded in producing a fun to drive vehicle. All we want, is that its a complete vehicle, that can compete and grow, while we enjoy what we could have as a dependable everyday SUV. So please pass the word along and have some friends or acquaintances do the same as you. Thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Huh? Comparing a new venture to Volvo and BMW - what business school assisted you?

4976.5/688= 7.23

FYI:
Volvo XC90 = 2 months

Can you seriously compare Valvo and BMW’s Inventory management systems with that of Alfa’s during their attempt to bring a great new vehicle to the US market, with a bang? That is that comparing apples to coco-NUTS! :devil. Like what is your point?

·
Registered
356 Posts
If the half of the folks following this forum did not have this CarPlay affliction, there would be another 200 sold already.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Think on it while...

I get to have a good 400 mile drive today, in my Ti Sport race car ? - wave when I go by...

Ciao :devil

This is what having a red, in your face start button will do to you...:devil:devil

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
My observation is that instead of a giant holding lot somewhere, the dealer's lots (those with space) are the holding lot. Production of such a complex device is a very ticklish task compounded by a long transit pipeline and lots of variables in predicting and timing demand- especially for something just being introduced to the marketplace. In this case a highly competitive situation at the time of year when sales are slow. Also there are significant differences between product targeted to world markets and things are produced in batches. So this giant train can't start or stop on a dime (so to speak) and timing of the introduction (ad buys, promotions, dealer training, tweaking features- essentially ramping up is an inexact and expensive task that involves investment and risk. Obviously the forecasted demand and market acceptance hasn't materialized as predicted but you can't introduce a new brand against established and entrenched brands half way. It is a very delicate and deliberate dance involving PR, media reviews, and ad/marketing planning. That said, it does seem the most efficient way to do it was leveraging existing Fiat and Maserati dealers.

The upside is amazing selection and great pricing (as inventory turns can be effective more than straight margin to maintain cashflow). And the only way to grow fast is butts in seats to build a reputation as well as word-of-mouth buzz to normalize the brand. This is no small undertaking - from a blank sheet of paper!

Judging from comments here the worst issues are squealing brakes (that died down), discharged batteries, and feature adjustments in product planning.

Not too shabby. We, as consumers had a total blast in the experience of finding the brand, model, and exact vehicle. The consumer is the winner here, especially early adopters. Pure economics.

You can't underestimate the size of this undertaking (in a world of fashion where the consumer takes it all for granted and is swimming in choices.

From a manufacturing and production aspect, this is all fascinating to me as it plays out.

And of course we got a great value on a car we love with unique differentiation and that is proving every day to be reliable, elegantly engineered, and a total blast.

Reactions: skr9 and TiSport

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is a buying opportunity. There is nothing wrong with the Stelvio, except buyer's fear of the unknown. Bravo to you early adopters. This is like finding a band you know will be big, and watching them perform at a small club where you can see every facial expression. Forza Alfa!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lease

I was wondering if you could share the dealer information. Also, do you have any idea what the residual was on the car after 15K/2 years?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 53 Posts