Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Haven't done a trip in it, but the accelerator was so sluggish..... maybe if gas blasts over 7/gal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! These are great numbers. I typically drive in dynamic and am quite spirited, but only get 20mpg through 1400 miles. Are you guys driving in advanced efficiency mode or getting these high numbers in dynamic as well?

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
Wow! These are great numbers. I typically drive in dynamic and am quite spirited, but only get 20mpg through 1400 miles. Are you guys driving in advanced efficiency mode or getting these high numbers in dynamic as well?

Almost 12K miles- trips in A = 31 mpg; around town N = 26-28 (new roof bars seem to have some drag); D = selectively.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have actually dialed away from using Dynamic all the time. Gas pedal is overreactive and the downshifting not as smooth (don't like downhill downshifting in cruise either. (not efficient))Vehicle is not faster, you just think it is because you get the "effect".

·
Registered
80 Posts
my experience too

Those are pretty good numbers. My weekend trip I only got about 23 mpg which I thought would be better but to be fair I was cruising at 85+ mph so I'm sure that affected it. My average in the city is only about 12 mpg but it's the worst stop and go traffic you can think of.
Using 89 octane getting about 23 mpg on average.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Using 93 octane I’m getting a consistent 23-25 MPG on my local commute. I averaged 27 on a trip to NC through the mountains at 80 average.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
375 mile trip up to Maine at 75-80 and traffic she reads 28.2 on gauge . Will confirm accuracy later today, but I bet its at least that good and that was with the usual 6 or so cars I blew by on back roads! Awesome traveling vehicle. It is a sport/luxury sedan with a modern body!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I for the life of me cannot get above about 26.5mpg. I even tested it on a recent road trip. I set cruise at exactly 80mph, reset my trip/mpg so it would only calculate at the cruise speed and just let it do it's thing. The freeway I was on has virtually no hills or curves so it couldn't have been easier to test. I have no idea how you guys are getting 28-31mpg. I even bumped my tire pressure up just a tad to see if that would help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I get 18-19 MPG with roughly 50% city and 50% highway. One time recently I got 21-23 on the highway, but that was one of the very few times the car was in “a” mode. It almost never comes out of “d” because it’s just too unresponsive in other modes.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Followup. That 28,.2 on gauge was 27.3 after precise calculation based on fillup, but I think I stuffed it an extra few qts v start of trip so, on average, the computer is pretty good on this car. Coming home, again I read 28.2 and by the time I got to gas station the next day after another 25 or so miles of loca, onboard read 27.9 and I calculated 27.5 . BTW entire trip home was in a 10-20mph headwind. Sweetness, if I ran an entire tank at 80 mph , I would indeed probably be getting in the 26-27 mpg zone. I am only atr 80 for ~1.5 hrs of trip. At 75 it easily gets 28-30. That 30 mpg trip I did last spring was with no AC as it was cool out and it was NOT windy!. Wind has more of an affect than people realize. Tailwinds might have helped that 30 mpg tank on way north. Regardless, considering a decade ago 20mpg was the holy grail for any SUV of decent size and progress is obvious. I can see the folks running in dynamic all the time getting much less mileage because every nudge of gas pedal causes spooling of turbo, responsive but inefficient.

I have made several students driving abilities much better at the track by shutting off hyperactive sport mode cars and making them use throttle like a rheostat, allowing them to carry better speed into and earlier acceleration out of apecies. That versus their incessant desire to stab the gas pedal continually.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I for the life of me cannot get above about 26.5mpg. I even tested it on a recent road trip. I set cruise at exactly 80mph, reset my trip/mpg so it would only calculate at the cruise speed and just let it do it's thing. The freeway I was on has virtually no hills or curves so it couldn't have been easier to test. I have no idea how you guys are getting 28-31mpg. I even bumped my tire pressure up just a tad to see if that would help.

@sweetness34 Don't you have a Quadrifoglio? Not surprisingly, the mpg isn't as good on these compared with the other Stelvio variants.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Averaging about 18.6 mpg and 20 mph but we see almost 95% city driving stop and go traffic to and from work with some fun on weekends.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Followup. That 28,.2 on gauge was 27.3 after precise calculation based on fillup, but I think I stuffed it an extra few qts v start of trip so, on average, the computer is pretty good on this car. Coming home, again I read 28.2 and by the time I got to gas station the next day after another 25 or so miles of loca, onboard read 27.9 and I calculated 27.5 . BTW entire trip home was in a 10-20mph headwind. Sweetness, if I ran an entire tank at 80 mph , I would indeed probably be getting in the 26-27 mpg zone. I am only atr 80 for ~1.5 hrs of trip. At 75 it easily gets 28-30. That 30 mpg trip I did last spring was with no AC as it was cool out and it was NOT windy!. Wind has more of an affect than people realize. Tailwinds might have helped that 30 mpg tank on way north. Regardless, considering a decade ago 20mpg was the holy grail for any SUV of decent size and progress is obvious. I can see the folks running in dynamic all the time getting much less mileage because every nudge of gas pedal causes spooling of turbo, responsive but inefficient.

I have made several students driving abilities much better at the track by shutting off hyperactive sport mode cars and making them use throttle like a rheostat, allowing them to carry better speed into and earlier acceleration out of apecies. That versus their incessant desire to stab the gas pedal continually.
I'm doing the same road trip again this weekend so I'll drop my speed down to 75mph just to see. From what you are saying, it doesn't sound like my mpg is too far off which is good.

@sweetness34 Don't you have a Quadrifoglio? Not surprisingly, the mpg isn't as good on these compared with the other Stelvio variants.
Nope, I have a TI Sport. I wish it was the Quad! Haha. I also sit in heavy heavy traffic daily only getting about 11-12mpg. It makes me wonder how that severe stop and go traffic possibly affects my engine if at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nope, I have a TI Sport. I wish it was the Quad! Haha. I also sit in heavy heavy traffic daily only getting about 11-12mpg. It makes me wonder how that severe stop and go traffic possibly affects my engine if at all.
Don't know where on Earth I got the idea that you had a Qf from then?!? :confused: My memory obviously isn't what it used to be! lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I sadly get 16mpg in California stop and go traffic out of my base Stelvio. It's really not good. Yesterday my car showed me I was at a two bars above half a tank when I got home and this morning when I got into my car it was down two bars. I already had two software updates done regarding start-stop and rev float. I normally drive in A, but trying N to see if anything changes. I think mpg went down by .3-.5 in the past few days. No dice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I sadly get 16mpg in California stop and go traffic out of my base Stelvio. It's really not good. Yesterday my car showed me I was at a two bars above half a tank when I got home and this morning when I got into my car it was down two bars. I already had two software updates done regarding start-stop and rev float. I normally drive in A, but trying N to see if anything changes. I think mpg went down by .3-.5 in the past few days. No dice.
I'd take 16mpg in a heartbeat! Haha. I only get about 11-12mpg on the westside of LA but that's consistent with my past vehicles so I'm not concerned, it just goes along with the territory.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know how you guys are getting MPGs that high... honestly I was expecting better than the 16MPGs I'm getting now.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
"11-12 on the westside of LA"

oh, another advantage of moving from there to here - my quad is getting slightly better than that.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts