Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
"11-12 on the westside of LA"

oh, another advantage of moving from there to here - my quad is getting slightly better than that.
I hear ya. I've been out here about 9yrs, grew up in the midwest. I work for a great company and that's really the only reason I'm still here. At some point I'll be making the tough decision to leave and most likely head back to where things are actually affordable and running to the store doesn't take a week's worth of planning to see when I can hit the window where traffic is light. Haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd take 16mpg in a heartbeat! Haha. I only get about 11-12mpg on the westside of LA but that's consistent with my past vehicles so I'm not concerned, it just goes along with the territory.
It's actually worse for me. On the same route downtown my old Infiniti FX35(V6 280hp, 4150lbs) was doing 17-18mpg and if I am in eco mode if I try a little I can squeeze out 21mpg out of a Discovery Sport(base 2.0t with 237hp). Getting at best 215, but on average 200miles a tank is not fun really, but otherwise love how the car drives and feels even when driving like a grandparent.

Side note what is the weight of a standard Stelivo. Google tells me it starts at ~4000lbs, but wiki tells me ~3700lbs, which is correct?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
manufacturer weights are usually without gas - and who knows what else. good for comparing giulia to stelvio, 4 vs 6, awd vs rwd.

other sources can have a variety of methods, maybe consistent, maybe not, but MT , CD, RT usually are in their own methodology. but then you have to consider if the vehicle they tested has any weight adding (or subtracting) options, not that there is much to consider.

4044 - looks like MT

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Manual says 4037.....

I can promise anyone getting ultra low mileage that says it has happened with other vehicles, that you are a pedal stabber. Instead of rolling into the gas off the line, you stab the pedal. You may be .1-.2's faster but those off the line stabs suck gas more than anything else I know. When I have student that drives this way in an HPDE event, I usually won't let them downshift on many tracks where momentum is more important till I get them smoothed out. I had a guy in a Gen1 Camaro ZL1 last month that DROVE THIS WAY. SLOWER THAN DIRT. I MADE HIM STAY IN 4RTH, USE THE TQ, CARRY SPEED INTO CORNERS AND WITHIN 1 SESSION HIS LAP TIMES DROPPED BY SEVERAL SECONDS/LAP. (sorry caps lock). Being overly aggressive around other aggressive types is far less satisfying than letting them "win" till you get them lulled into a sense of superiority, then just fry their ass once say when they try to cut you off or you want their lane . At mid speeds where are vehicles are always readily spooled, this is our strength. I have actually found that stabbing our 2.0 make it lag much more than rolling into the throttle is any setting but esp in N. I'm not busting balls here but stoplight racing bores the **** out of me. Way more fun getting in front before a nice extreme twisty and driving thru with no brakes. You know they puckered big time as they enter hot under braking (exactly the wrong thing to do)...
Now to be fair , if its stop and go 0-40,0-40-0..... your mileage will even suck in a Prius unless your regen skills are good.

Lost, I listened to you and am getting to like D more! My ideal would be to keep the shifting and reduce pedal sensitivity by 5-10%...That would be JUST RIGHT.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
the wife 'discovered' paddle shifts in automatic, so now uses N for boring commutes, and knocks it down a couple when she wants it.
she never remembered to click the soft suspension button in D, so this is working for her now.

it is nice to have a car that we can tailor to preferences - unless the wizardry develops a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
Consistent 27 mpg mixed driving around home. 500 miles to Cincy today 28.9 70-80 mph and S-curves, hills, etc. 500 miles per tank is a thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
Haha- you married well, Lost! Mine still hasn't driven Stella. I gave her a thrill in D last Friday feeling my oats on the way home from dinner. She purrs and she roars!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
"mine hasn't driven'

the amusing part of this is in giulia land some still think the only people driving these are soccer moms who don't notice the floppy suv cornering.
I'm aware of one Mom on here, and a few other ladies, but it's all people who like to drive.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Good thing the taillights look so good cuz that's all most folks will see, including many Guila owners. At this level, its the driver, not the car/ephinany of automobiledom that makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Good thing the taillights look so good cuz that's all most folks will see, including many Guila owners. At this level, its the driver, not the car/ephinany of automobiledom that makes the difference.
Technically I believe it is a 20:1 ratio of driving ability to (# of Performance badges/stickers + how cool the paint color is)

So the driver is the most important part, but a great driver in a Stelvio will probably get beat by an above average driver in any base engined BMW with a metallic green wrap and about 75 M badges added. See, this is why the special editions of the BRZ/86 don't need more power to have more "performance"....?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My eyes!!!!!! Kermit lives

·
Registered
105 Posts
waking up the thread. I am getting around 32.5 on the highway and about 25 in mixed driving. Wife said she will not drive the car until I ding it first. Hoping for a couple years before that happens. I like knowing that I can drive comfortably on a trip and get great gas mileage while passing with ease. I can average a little higher but that is not as much fun. Highway is highway put on the adaptive cruise control and enjoy the music.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think these replies show things have not changed much since Stelvio came to the States. At 44k on my 2018 picked up in December 2 years ago, I get whatever I want out of the mileage - when I'm driving, 22 mpg or so, and when I'm cruising, 28 or so. In my Stelvio, and previously in my Spyders and GTV6, I just find it hard to go slow in an Alfa, especially when someone wants to lead the way and take the HEAT...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think these replies show things have not changed much since Stelvio came to the States. At 44k on my 2018 picked up in December 2 years ago, I get whatever I want out of the mileage - when I'm driving, 22 mpg or so, and when I'm cruising, 28 or so. In my Stelvio, and previously in my Spyders and GTV6, I just find it hard to go slow in an Alfa, especially when someone wants to lead the way and take the HEAT...
I agree completely! Driving slow in my Stelvio, makes my skin crawl. Between my wife and I combined we are at 23 mpg.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So driving slow and driving a consistent speed on the highway is two different things to me. I find it amazing actually that the car can get great gas mileage as well as get good gas mileage being driven like it can be. I would be happy with the 28 on the highway but getting up to 32 on a long drive is even better especially for distance between fill ups. And getting 22 while enjoying the car is awesome. My car replaced a Toyota Highlander daily driver that only got 19 no matter what I did - except towing of course. I like being able to get off the line but did scare myself when I first got the car and pulled out in traffic and was sweating the first second or two waiting for the car to spin up!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts