Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a comment about the third turnover of my Alfa dealer. This time, the service advisors I knew for the past three years quit or were terminated and replaced with ones who had no experience with Alfas. I was assured that the technicians were the same.

In for an oil change, the service advisors recommended an “induction cleaning”. I had no idea what that was and they vaguely said it involved some process using detergent…. I sort of tuned out and refused the service. One of the guys who read my post suggested that it was a real service some cars might need. So being the kind of guy I am, I had to follow through on what I didn’t understand and have concluded that the service relates to the newish use of what seems to be called GDI or gasoline direct injection. All new to me.

I found three YouTubes that seems to explain the process and the possible need for the induction cleaning and why it may not be needed. My conclusion is that it is a legitimate service (although I doubt that my service advisors knew what it technically entailed) or if it was needed--in my case, I have concluded it was not needed. The Scotty Kilmer YouTube, if you can stand the presentation, gives good reasons why not to pursue the service. All in all, I think I learned something.

The bottom line seems to be if you use the right engine oil (i.e., Alfa recommended synthetic), good top tier gasoline, drive hard and fast on the highway, and don’t have negative engine symptoms, you don’t need the service.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Change your oil more frequently then 10k.

I think, dealers are beginning to offer this service because they are slowly realizing the oil pump/solenoid issues are being caused by the 10k oil change frequency. But they'de rather upsell a service then contradict Alfa's recommendation.

Induction cleaning isn't worthless but isn't smart either .... What's smart is changing the oil more often then 10k, IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also suggest only use a Top Tier gasoline. Using only quality gas, I've never had any kind of injector or direct injection issue on any of my cars.

No, I don't work for a gas company (although my brother worked at Shell and my father worked at AMOCO)!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The bottom line seems to be if you use the right engine oil (i.e., Alfa recommended synthetic), good top tier gasoline, drive hard and fast on the highway, and don’t have negative engine symptoms, you don’t need the service.
Yup and if you do need carbon cleaning a seafoam treatment isnt going to do anything.

To decarbonize an engine you walnut blast them. This is accomplished with the engine off and the cylinders sealed from the contaminants.

The induction treatments are performed with the engine running with superheated temps and fumes and soot passing directly through the turbo turbine (which is direct mounted to our head so not even an exhaust manifold to go through) and into the wideband o2 sensor and precious metal catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
65 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember reading that the Multiair engines are less susceptible to carbon buildup on the valves than other DI engines.

As people have said, regular oil changes (I'm doing a 5K interval on all of the cars) with quality synthetic oil and only running Top Tier gas is essential for DI engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts