Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to celebrate 1 year of trouble free service when all of a sudden the SERVICE ENGINE warning illuminates. The engine had been on for about 15 minutes....I was doing a steady state 45MPH....nothing seemed out of the ordinary....it has been a while since I last got gas (cap is tight)....and DING the light is now on. I have cycled the engine a couple times as part of my normal errands today....still on.

I stopped at Autozone for an OBDII read and it detected no code. Is that possible?

Any idea?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Might not be showing an OBDII code.

Might be showing an Alfa/FCA code which the scanner didn't have the correct software to read. Could also be a software error in the reader.

I'de try a different Auto parts store...or just get it read at the dealer. (Won't be free)

Gas cap is tight..how is the seal? The rubber seal could be damaged.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio QV
94 Posts
Is it the Check Engine symbol or just says SERVICE ENGINE? Can't find the latter in my owners manual but thinking Lost1750GTV nailed it. My Lexus's do this every 5k miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a chime and I looked down and the display said SERVICE ENGINE. The check engine symbol was also illuminated. After about 5-10 seconds the SERVICE ENGINE goes away but the check engine symbol remains on. Will recheck gas cap seal and will try a different reader.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
You might check the car/maintenance display on the dash screen and see what it is showing for miles to next service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dash computer says I am not due for service for 6,000 miles or 140 days.

I drove a couple of times over the weekend; each start-up greeted me with a chime and the momentary SERVICE ENGINE verbiage in place of the digital speedo readout. The amber check engine lamp remains solidly illuminated. I am not able to detect any obvious engine misbehavior.

I did not spend any more time chasing free diagnostics at local auto parts stores; I will just go see the Alfa doctor and report back.

BTW, can anybody recommend a reasonably priced Alfa code reader that I can buy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts