Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried the different modes that the DNA selector provides, so this is just my opinion:

When I place the selector in "D" mode, my Stelvio tells me I have made a wise selection and I will enjoy the response from the throttle and shift points of the trans, but watch out for the law and other drivers.

When I have the selector in "N" mode my Stelvio seems to tell me, this is okay and I will perform pretty good with this selection and provide pretty good fuel mileage.

When I place the selector in the "A" mode my Stelvio asks, what in the heck are you doing. I will response as slow as I can, you will just have to wait till I decide to get to your set speed; jerk.

Now, who am I to determine the best setting for my Stelvio, as my vehicle knows best what works well. I have decided that the mode setting should be set on "N" or "D" most of the time, like 99% of the time.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Incredible! My Stelvio has the same personality as yours! She siren-called me to the D setting- and I did as she said! Now I'm a happy man.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
almost surprisingly mine has said the same kind of things to me too!

As a result it spends 94.9% of the time in D, 5% of the time in N, and only when I have to give the keys to someone else for Valet parking or the two times I've let my girlfriend drive it, did it go into A (which if course made her return saying she didn't understand why I "loved the car so much :rolleyes:", because it "didn't drive very special" to her, which was kind of the point, so she would return with it!). Aside from the possible people at the dealer, and one good friend of mine, no-one but me has been allowed to drive it in D :)

Reactions: Lisa

·
Registered
72 Posts
I shift into D when I can enjoy the power best like when somebody's up your arse in there 1.6 special Ford Nissan or Kia and you floor the pedal and they disappear from your rear mirror.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
You guys are too much! Stella is a pussycat in A mode for me most of the time for routine commuting as my 'work car'. After dark she gets all 'D' and turns into a tiger. The myth about all of those Italian women is apparently true- she can go from 'A' to 'D' in about 100 milliseconds!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Too funny LC, thanks for the laugh

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good stuff! I think the D stands for daaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnn!
:devil

·
Registered
35 Posts
D = Dynamic

N = Normal

A = Anemic!

But, I will say that the Anemic setting is OK when stuck in city traffic. "Relaxed" would be another way of putting it.

Reactions: Flunx

·
Registered
228 Posts
My take on DNA mode

I have a Stelvio TI which I drove mainly in N mode and occassionally in D mode (for the fun of it) when I first got the car. I drive the car mostly on the interstate (speed limit 70mph in NV) to and from work (30 minutes one way) with a little city driving and have been averaging 22.1 mpg in N mode. I was hoping for more mpg so I have been driving in A mode the past 3 weeks to try it out performance wise and to see if the milage would improve. Milage did improve but not much, only another 0.5mpg. I thought it would be more because the difference to me between A, N and D mode seems to be quicker engagement of the turbo as you move up in performance mode. I also must say the performance in A mode isn't bad at all given alot of the negative comments I have seen on the forum regarding A mode. So for now I am staying in A mode most of the time and moving up to N or D mode when the spirit moves me or when I need to get off the line a little quicker (depending on the car next to me.) Enjoy!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I drive in D mode ALL the time because I feel it shifts and turns smoother and just goes with the flow more easily like it is connected to my brain somehow ,lol (but I am not an aggressive driver which I hear isn’t good to be driving in D mode).....so I ask hb to take it once in a while for a drive or tank fill up he goes crazy on the road (ofcourse) And my Stelvio gets a doze of obuse it is craving

·
Registered
79 Posts
What do you mean by you've heard it's not good to drive aggressively in D? I'm waiting on my Stelvio and plan to drive in D all the time and probably aggressively ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
What do you mean by you've heard it's not good to drive aggressively in D? I'm waiting on my Stelvio and plan to drive in D all the time and probably aggressively ?
I have not heard any such thing. The only remote comment was by my salesperson who said: "You may not want to use D in the rain." I really doubt using D in the rain is an issue. I gun my Audi S5 (V8) all the time in the rain and always have traction (unlike these so-called 4wd pickup trucks who constantly spin their rear tires in the rain)

·
Registered
174 Posts
No I actually ment the opposite it’s not “healthy” to drive stelvio in D mode NON agressivly because it learns your behavior and becomes a “softy” - from what I have learned reading this forum

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh my, I assume your Audi has Quattro AWD system. My live axle rear wheel drive Mustang would go sideways, if I WOT it in the rain. I learned it in a hard way.

Normally when the road surface is slippery, you want relatively higher gear and less torque in the wheel, hence the recommended A mode.

I have not heard any such thing. The only remote comment was by my salesperson who said: "You may not want to use D in the rain." I really doubt using D in the rain is an issue. I gun my Audi S5 (V8) all the time in the rain and always have traction (unlike these so-called 4wd pickup trucks who constantly spin their rear tires in the rain)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
in D it still has all the traction controls etc, just loosened up a bit.
even the quad in R has the power transfer to the front, reducing the ability to get tail happy, by driver intent or not.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
We need to not overthink these modes. Really all they effect is throttle mapping, shift points and crisper shifting. Crisper is only better when running hard and at high speeds or aggressively. Most of the roads I cut loose on in the public domain contain high speed sweepers that do not necessarily need a lot of shifting as carrying speed thru corners is ALWAYS faster. I avoid driving to my limits or a vehicles limits on tight twisty public roads due to sight limitations and the unknown things one finds like bikes etc. It would be totally different if the roads were closed to the public!!! A corner I'll cruise thru at 50 in a 25 can really be taken at 60-70 at full commit... that isn't too bright however. I'd love for somebody to sign up for a track day with SCDA and bring their Stelvio. Better still do it on a rainy day!!! BTW our Pres has a new Guilia Quad!!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
"a track day"
a very fast and heavy car on the track makes for a lot of money spent on tires and brakes.
unless you don't actually go fast, in which case .....

"you can't make a race horse out of a pig, but you can make a mighty fast pig", this kinda applies to suvs, even relatively light ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts