Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was dropping our doggie at the vet today, I nicked a curb trying to enter the parking lot. All of a sudden, the yellow warning light on the dash came on: Low tire pressure. So naturally I was looking at that specific tire. Then, I looked at the Infotainment auto settings under Tires and noticed it was the tire on the opposite side.

Ugh - a big, old nasty frame nail in tire.

It read about 27 pounds of pressure and could hear the air slowly pissing thru. I drove to a nearby Costco Tire Department and was told the cost would be $10.00 to fix. Awesome!

Well, not so fast...the Tire Manager looked up my car on his computer and asked if I had the 19" Continental tires. Yes, I do.
He then shouted those are "V-rated" tires and "Continental does not allow repairs on them." ( I kid you not)

Huh? #@!&%$?

So I drove to a nearby tire chain called Evans Tires. No worries, they fixed it ($20) without looking at me like I was driving some exotic Batmobile.

Has anybody encountered weird **** like this on their Continental tires?

That has to be nonsense about the tire manufacturer not allowing a simple tire repair, right?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I expect Conti is concerned about possible issues at 149 mph, so maybe the speed rating would no longer be valid.

if 149 isn't a concern for you ...
especially with runflats I personally don't see an issue with tread puncture repairs; if the repair doesn't hold you still have a run flat under you. same as if you had a new tire and got a new puncture.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Sorry to hear tipo- everything is a process of liability avoidance so like lost, maybe concern about centrifugal force dumping a plug at speed. Like you I wouldn't worry about it and be thankful the cost was minimal. Also that you were able to drive without a spare. Good to know for all of us.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The newst plugs will even maintain the speed rating!! I have one in a rear tire (Sumitomo HTRZIII) on my Evora and it has seen several rainy track days. I always check it solid as a rock!! It was right in middle of a groove so easy to see. So that Costco guy was full of sh$$. They just don't like to do repairs

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
is this normal?

The newst plugs will even maintain the speed rating!! I have one in a rear tire (Sumitomo HTRZIII) on my Evora and it has seen several rainy track days. I always check it solid as a rock!! It was right in middle of a groove so easy to see. So that Costco guy was full of sh$$. They just don't like to do repairs
I'll have do some research to see if Continental Tires has a stop fix order on their V rated tires. Maybe it's just a liability issue w/Costco as another forum mentioned. Or maybe, they don't like repairing tires, Visconti?

Here are some pics on the plug after about 50 miles driving on the tire. Looks kinda weird that the plug is hanging out a bit. Maybe I have to drive some more....what does everyone think?

Normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
there's different types of plugs, most of my experience is with the fuzzier sort, which are quite long, so yes a bunch is usually left hanging and has to wear off. I expect these are similar in length, and with it extending directly between tread blocks it will take some time to wear.
if someone with direct experience with plugs that look like this corrects me - I'm good with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I was dropping our doggie at the vet today, I nicked a curb trying to enter the parking lot. All of a sudden, the yellow warning light on the dash came on: Low tire pressure. So naturally I was looking at that specific tire. Then, I looked at the Infotainment auto settings under Tires and noticed it was the tire on the opposite side.

Ugh - a big, old nasty frame nail in tire.

It read about 27 pounds of pressure and could hear the air slowly pissing thru. I drove to a nearby Costco Tire Department and was told the cost would be $10.00 to fix. Awesome!

Well, not so fast...the Tire Manager looked up my car on his computer and asked if I had the 19" Continental tires. Yes, I do.
He then shouted those are "V-rated" tires and "Continental does not allow repairs on them." ( I kid you not)

Huh? #@!&%$?

So I drove to a nearby tire chain called Evans Tires. No worries, they fixed it ($20) without looking at me like I was driving some exotic Batmobile.

Has anybody encountered weird **** like this on their Continental tires?

That has to be nonsense about the tire manufacturer not allowing a simple tire repair, right?
On our way south we picked up a nail in Atlanta. We have the non runflat Conti's. I ended up finding a Discount Tire store, that pulled the tire off of the rim and placed a patch on the inside of it, re-balanced wheel, etc. They guaranteed it as well! The best part, it was on the house! Guy would not take money. We have put another 5k miles on the car with that patch and it has held perfectly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just wanted to add that I cought a nail in a tire ss soon as I left the dealership with my new Stelvio and Alfa themselves put a plug in it at no charge. I popped another tire (side running on to curb) and that one had to be replaced by my local tire shop (ordered from tirerack.com) as they didn’t have in stock....but my plugged tire is still holding up well

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
with a non runflat a patch on the inside is generally preferred, but I have been told by a tire shop that plugs are preferable on run flats as the inner rubber layer is thinner (the tire structure is in the sidewall) and they prefer not to rough it for a patch. makes sense, and I've never had an issue with plugs, but just one shop's opinion.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Didn’t they use to have a patch that was a plug and patch together? They patched from the inside by plugging and on the back side of the plug, there is a patch, all one piece.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes plug patches were common and preferred when I was in the tire business; don't know if this has changed in the past 8 years.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Just take a sharp new utility or trimming blade and trim that excess off. But that is what the new ones look like and they do the job. I am 100% certain on this. Remember, I am confident at 140mph with the plug my guy does!!

Reactions: tipo949

·
Registered
70 Posts
Usually with run flats , some companies allow 1 repair most are not repairable. What I don’t understand is that you have run flats? I have 20” on my Stelvio and they’re not run flats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts