Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have the address to a webpage were we can go out and see if there are any software updates for our navigation or infotainment center?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I was thinking the dealer would do it or if critical they send a thumb drive with instructions. No bugs here but worth a phone call if you are wanting something specific (and please share).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the dealer would do it or if critical they send a thumb drive with instructions. No bugs here but worth a phone call if you are wanting something specific (and please share).
I am trying to see if we can do an update ourselfs. I am also trying to find out how we can be notified when an update is available. I have talked to my salesman and he is trying to find out. I will update this post if I find out anything. Even the Dealers have a hard time getting info from Alfa, so it may take awhile. For some reason Alfa just seems to think not keeping customers inform is just fine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to my salesman and he has pose the questions about firmware/software updates to the Alfa Romeo trainer for this area. He said he would get back to me as soon as he found out an answer from the trainer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most cases I'd assume a software update requires the dealership plugging in their own computers. You do make a good point about notifications and I can't seem to find anything for software updates, just recalls...

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Most cases I'd assume a software update requires the dealership plugging in their own computers. You do make a good point about notifications and I can't seem to find anything for software updates, just recalls...
If you're talking about the ECU and critical powertrain controls, yes. But for the infotainment and navigation system, buried in one of the menus there is a software update option. Presumably you can load a cryptographically signed firmware file onto a flash drive, plug it into the USB port, and it'll download that way, or at least I would be shocked to learn it can't be done that way...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're talking about the ECU and critical powertrain controls, yes. But for the infotainment and navigation system, buried in one of the menus there is a software update option. Presumably you can load a cryptographically signed firmware file onto a flash drive, plug it into the USB port, and it'll download that way, or at least I would be shocked to learn it can't be done that way...
I agree with everything you stated. I am trying to find where I can see if any software/firmware updates are available for the infotainment center. Not even the Alfa Romeo customer service center knows where that is or if it even exists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know that ETM_SW_M86.ZIP 002.009.055 from Guilia works. It fixes (that I know of) the annoying cracking sound when you use the USB cable with your iPhone. Just google that file name and you should get a hold of the file. You will need a formatted USB Stick to unzip 2 files. Plug it in the center USB plug and start your car. Follow the instruction, takes around 20 min.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that ETM_SW_M86.ZIP 002.009.055 from Guilia works. It fixes (that I know of) the annoying cracking sound when you use the USB cable with your iPhone. Just google that file name and you should get a hold of the file. You will need a formatted USB Stick to unzip 2 files. Plug it in the center USB plug and start your car. Follow the instruction, takes around 20 min.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just installed the update 002.009.055 from Giulia - works no problem, took about 20 min to do however I don't see ANY difference whatsoever. Also wanted to ask the folks out here - is there a US map update? I know there is one in EU thru mopar webiste. It doesn't let US locale to download any updates. and Tomtom website is useless. I got my car a week ago, but production date is 9/2017. the most annoying is lack of traffic info on GPS. I am not sure whether 1 year Sirius XM subscription that came with a car doesn't have traffic component or its an issue with GPS unit itself. Thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just installed the update 002.009.055 from Giulia - works no problem, took about 20 min to do however I don't see ANY difference whatsoever. Also wanted to ask the folks out here - is there a US map update? I know there is one in EU thru mopar webiste. It doesn't let US locale to download any updates. and Tomtom website is useless. I got my car a week ago, but production date is 9/2017. the most annoying is lack of traffic info on GPS. I am not sure whether 1 year Sirius XM subscription that came with a car doesn't have traffic component or its an issue with GPS unit itself. Thanks
My build date is 7/17 with navi map 971.7832, maybe someone with a later build date will post their version of maps. From what I can find out, our infotainment center navi can not provide traffic info from Sirius XM. I have talked to Sirius XM and Alfa Romeo customer service center and both stated the same, the unit is not capable of providing that info. I am going to the dealer on Monday to have a rattle in the drivers door looked at and will ask about the latest navi map info. Hopefully they can look up the info, I will update this post if I find out anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed the update 002.009.055 from Giulia - works no problem, took about 20 min to do however I don't see ANY difference whatsoever...
I installed the same update last night. Install went smoothly, like you about 20 min or so, and when done I was prompted to pull the flash drive, the system rebooted and everything is working fine - even my settings were preserved!

With absolute certainty, I can tell you one thing that was definitely fixed - the static/crackle from the driver side when playing music from my iPhone (iPhone X) plugged into the USB port is gone! iTunes, Spotify, Tune-In radio - all static noise is completely absent now - clean and perfect, as it should be.

Here's the weird part... now, let me preface by saying I'm a big believer in placebo-effect, so some of that could be coming into play here, and with about 1,000 miles on my Stel at this point I think the speakers are probably 'breaking in' some now - but I'm telling you, after the update the system SOUNDS better to me now. Not gonna lie, the *ahem* 'premium' HK still WAY under par for a vehicle of this type/price point, but it does seem somewhat improved. Again, could just be in my head, but perception is perception, what can I say.

There's no question that at some point I want to either add a second, premium subwoofer/amp, or, better yet, tidily replace the stock sub/sub amp in the stock location, if possible. I'm also VERY interested to see what people do with upgrading the other speakers. I really think the speakers are the glaring weak link in this system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My build date is 7/17 with navi map 971.7832, maybe someone with a later build date will post their version of maps. From what I can find out, our infotainment center navi can not provide traffic info from Sirius XM. I have talked to Sirius XM and Alfa Romeo customer service center and both stated the same, the unit is not capable of providing that info. I am going to the dealer on Monday to have a rattle in the drivers door looked at and will ask about the latest navi map info. Hopefully they can look up the info, I will update this post if I find out anything.
My portable Tom Tom navigation system that I bought 6 years ago prior to a trip to Europe at least displays traffic events along the vertical route bar by means of a receiving unit built into the power cord. It's a shame they couldn't operationalize that feature in the Stelvio, because the Infotainment manual supplied with the car implies that it should be available in the onboard unit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
From what I can find out, our infotainment center navi can not provide traffic info from Sirius XM. I have talked to Sirius XM and Alfa Romeo customer service center and both stated the same, the unit is not capable of providing that info.
So don't even bother activating the free Sirius XM trial if you don't care for any of the programming?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assumed my dealer activated SiriusXM the day I picked up my Stelvio, as it was active already. I mostly stream music from my iPhone, but will take advantage of the free year with SiriusXM.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Asked my dealer about any map updates and he checked and I have the latest per Alfa. They also found some felt tape not properly installed, they fixed that and the rattle is gone from the drivers door so far.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I purchased my TI Sport on October 2017...and frankly the whole radio/NAV/infotainment system sucks...period. My 2016 GMC Canyon's touch tech system buries this car. The AF doesn't recognize my voice commands almost 80% of the time.

You know what...I don't give a s...it.

This vehicle is awesome!! Best car I have ever owned and notwithstanding some Macan people....by far the class of SUVS in this range.

If I wanted touchy-feely accouterments, I would have bought an Audi :)

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Smunger4- excellent + great perspective. Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not sure what I am doing wrong. I also downloaded the update from the Giulia site, formatted a thumb drive. Scrolled to setup-software update. Prompts me to place drive in slot and I hit OK. Just loops back again?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts