Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been looking at the Stelvio and went for a test drive a couple of days ago. Before leaving the dealership, they offered to allow us to take home one of their Stelvios that was very similar to what we were looking for. They even allowed us to take it on a pre planned trip so we put a few hundred miles on it. After our weekend, we’re somd on it. We are positive that we want one and know exactly what we’re looking for. The dealership is going to put out a search for it and see if they can locate one. Once located, they said that they would call us and “ask what they can offer us to make the sale.” After doing an exhaustive amount of research, I am struggling with knowing how to start price negotiations. I really have zero interest in going back and forth. I would really like to be able to give a fair offer and go from there. We are getting a fairly well loaded Ti Sport. Sticker is $53,690. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the links. I actually had read those already. They were very helpful regarding lease options and ordering. This seems to be the third option that I’m having more trouble finding information on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Send me a PM - I might be able to help on this.

Reactions: CalgaryStelvio

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a bit of research for you - if your MSRP is $53,690 (metallic paint, sunroof plus all other standard packages and destination) then the invoice price will be around $50,491.

I would aim for around $1000 below invoice - maybe $49,500. I have gotten quotes from as high as invoice to way below invoice so this is probably fair. However you should let the dealership make the first offer - just ask for their best price to make the deal happen asap and they may come in below this target - if not then courter-offer with your target price. Dealerships get pretty desperate in the last few days of each month if they are just under sales goals so if you can pull the trigger before Wed that might help the price too. On the other hand if the dealership ends up getting your ideal Stelvio from across the country they might incur transport costs and passing some of that back to you might be reasonable (nearby dealerships are always swapping vehicles so that would be at no cost).

On top of this there are rebates and incentives that will reduce the price further - but that varies with region and depends on whether you are buying/financing or leasing (bigger incentives). Also if you currently have a competing brand car there is a $1500 conquest incentive. So if you qualified for $2500 in rebates/incentives you might target paying $47,000 + taxes for your Stelvio.

Reactions: LeonY

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's tough to negotiate a good deal if the car is not already on the lot. Find a dealer with the car you want first and go from there. You can search inventory easily online on the AR site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your help!! I used the information you had and made a reasonable place to start. We were able to come to an agreement pretty easily and I should have my Stelvio before the end of the week. I seriously appreciate it!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congrats! what did you choose?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We went with the Vulcano Black with red interior Ti Sport. It’s almost completely loaded. The dealership was great to work with. They came down $5k off MSRP. That may be valuable to someone else looking to buy rather than lease.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad I could be of help. Your dealership sounds great: lending you a car for the weekend, getting you the exact spec you wanted, and at a good price. Dealerships like this will improve the Alfa brand and deserve success.

Also I love the black exterior/red interior color scheme and that was my second choice after red exterior/black interior. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings everyone...

I am considering a stelvio and went on a test drive today. Quite impressed. Only niggles were the back camera was sooo tiny, and I am going to have a **** of a time getting used to the signal lights.

I am in Calgary Canada, and the dealer I thought was being fair, and seemed motivated.

They said “we’re having kind of a grand opening sale” and if you take one of the stelvios we have in stock we can offer 5000 off.

This quote was for a stelvio ti sport with freight, air tax, excise tax, pdi, amvic fee and tire tax, 22s, spare tire, convenience pkg, dynamic and static driver assistance pkgs, dual pane sunroof, hk audio, headlamp washer and Misano blue paint.

If I go to alfaromeo.ca and build and price that car, I get
msrp 57845
Options + 6995
Dest + 1895
Air tax + 100
Sales tax + 3342
Delivery credit -1500
Down payment -5000
Total = 63677

Looking at the dealerships proposal:
Msrp 66835
Options + 2125
Adjustment -5000
Down payment -4761
Total = 59199

The difference between these two numbers is 4478 not the 5000 they adjusted so they have built in a bit of fudge, but they are going to pay my last two lease payments on my current car, and swap out the ti sport wheels and tires for the 19 inch 5 hole ones.

Does that sound like a good deal on that car in Canada?

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I been quoting for a Stelvio Ti lease for months and all of the quotes I gotten were OVERLY MARKED UP!

1. Alfa Romeo Fiat of Fort Worth

https://www.alfaromeofiatoffortwort...-Stelvio-c28ac84e0a0e0a17490804bc4e1fde33.htm

VIN : ZASFAKNN3J7B96975

The quote I got was 39 months 10k miles and whopping $665 per month before tax !

2. Fiat OF ALBUQUERQUE

https://www.auto.com/cars/alfa_romeo-stelvio-ti-2018-zasfaknn3j7c01916

VIN : ZASFAKNN3J7C01916

The quote I got was 36 months 10k miles and whopping $696 per month before tax !

3. J Star Alfa Romeo of Anaheim Hills

https://www.alfaromeoofanaheimhills.com/inventory/display/new/2018/Alfa-Romeo/Stelvio/ZASFAKNN3J7B96412

VIN : ZASFAKNN3J7B96412

This one a little better than the two above, $507 per month with $1,500 down for 36 months, but still higher than average

I have never seen anyone paid over $600, or even $500 after tax here on a lease. If including tax the first two dealers' offers above would be over $700! If you check out the VIN window sticker of the two above they don't even include ALL of the options.

It seems like these dealers are finding every possible way to mark up the deal, and I thought I was shopping Porsche! The reason that I contacted them because they got the color (Misano Blue/Tan interior, or some other features that I don't find elsewhere).

Can anyone here share some ideas on how to secure a good lease deal? If it is just a few dollars difference on the monthly then I would't mind, but the deals of the two above are almost twice as much as the average of what people are paying which is absolutely ridiculous!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Those awesome deals you are seeing typically have a lot of cap down (likely the dealer double dipping by using a cash back incentive for cap down) and aren’t on a Ti, typically they are on a non-sport base with practically no options. What’s hurting you is that the residual on the Stelvio is give or take 10% off a comparably priced BMW which reflects in the higher monthly.

My lease is for call it $48k after incentives on a loaded Ti Sport. Terms are 36/15k with zero cap down and 0.0049% interest (Ally doesn’t do MF, if someone is telling you it’s an Ally loan and it has MF they are lying. Run away.). Residual is 47% based on full MSRP and in Ohio I get to pay sales tax on the sales price up front along with a $250 fee packet for registration and dealer profit. So I cut a check for tax and fees ($1500 or so) and drove away with $660 monthly payment. I’m paying a whole $470 in interest for three years. When I take the 53% of the car I’m paying for and add the interest and divide by 36 I get exactly my payment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a call today from the Marin County CA Alfa dealer. Through Monday they are offering $10K off any (non-QV) Stelvio in inventory.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have read all this lease crap for the past 5 months. No 2 deals are the same, they all have some hidden fudge, yet people a are happy. Call me old school, but knowing the MSRP, knowing the invoice, working your deal getting the best interest rate available esp if not buying outright, seems too easy, actually much easier than this. I NEVER even mention a trade in till the buy is settled. Then its as simple as being happy with what they give you on trade (you should already know within $500) or selling it yourself.
The old saying buy high, sell v buy low sell low still works. All of the best deals I have seen here plainly show WHAT they bought the vehicle for. I would much rather have title in hand after 36 months tops and determine my future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have read all this lease crap for the past 5 months. No 2 deals are the same, they all have some hidden fudge, yet people a are happy. Call me old school, but knowing the MSRP, knowing the invoice, working your deal getting the best interest rate available esp if not buying outright, seems too easy, actually much easier than this. I NEVER even mention a trade in till the buy is settled. Then its as simple as being happy with what they give you on trade (you should already know within $500) or selling it yourself.
The old saying buy high, sell v buy low sell low still works. All of the best deals I have seen here plainly show WHAT they bought the vehicle for. I would much rather have title in hand after 36 months tops and determine my future.
How is a lease any different? You negotiate to get the best sales price you can and do what you can to get a good interest rate and residual value. From there you’re just financing the difference between sales price and residual value at end of term.

When I was negotiating with dealers all I talked about was MSRP and then how low we could get the sales price after rebates. Not until we agreed on that number did we even discuss how many months or miles. Don’t get me wrong I had him give me the interest rate and residuals for all the options up front and ran my own numbers, but as far as negotiating I didn’t let it turn into a monthly payment discussion.

I am having trouble seeing the downsides. At the end of the term, you can keep the vehicle and pay the predetermined residual value, in which case between the lease payments and purchase at end of term you’ve simply paid that sales price you negotiated many months before. If you don’t want to keep the vehicle and it’s worth more than residual, you sell it and pocket the difference. Otherwise you just turn it in.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
but as far as negotiating I didn’t let it turn into a monthly payment discussion.
Aggie I have a question about this. I’ve never purchased or leased a new car, so I haven’t been to the negotiating table yet.
I plan on leasing (a Stelvio) and the only thing I care about is the lease term (24 months for me) and the monthly payment. I didn’t see any reason for me to negotiate the MSRP if that leaves the monthly lease payment open to their calculations. I wanted to go in there, find the Stelvio I want and say look this is the "car" I want, this is how much I can pay a month, can you do it. And if they can’t I leave giving them my information letting them know that if anything changes just call me. And maybe I negotiate $20 a month above my original monthly payment ask. Also I planned on taking it right off the dealers lot because as far as I’ve been told, it takes between four and five months for your Stelvio to be delivered if it’s ordered, rather than off the lot. And also, the monthly payment that I would give them would be the number I would be willing to pay with zero down, tax and everything included (except maybe first month payment and DMV fees).

Is there something thing that my idea is lacking as far as reality, except that the dealer may not accept my price?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ask ANY accountant about Purchase v Lease and they will all say the same thing.....never lease. If you are leasing, because you can't afford the payments you are over your financial ceiling.. This is not me, this is accounting. A lease starts you with zero asset and ends with zero asset.. With a purchase, once you climb the ladder you are working with an asset. Payments will be the same if you go from 0-30K (30K loan), 30-60K (30K) or 60-90K (30K loan). Or you buy it and keep it long term. Go talk to your accountant. Business car loans are different but again, not always better.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
all people have different situations and circumstances, and for some a lease may be a better short term decision.
for some the up front out of pocket might be most important, for others the (total) monthly payments, and for other the residual/purchase price at end.
I have never leased a vehicle - but that's my preference.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts