Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI Silverstone Gray Metallic/Red/Black
237 Posts
Update: Had it ceramic coated today! So nice and shiny!!
Great investment! One of the best things to get for your Stelvio. I did that too and had full front PPF done as well since I do a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Question: Does the Alfa Connect so anything other than the Lock/Unlock and Start functions?
UConnect on my Jeep does more including monitoring oil level, tire pressure, maintenance status, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Question: Does the Alfa Connect so anything other than the Lock/Unlock and Start functions?
UConnect on my Jeep does more including monitoring oil level, tire pressure, maintenance status, etc.
Nope, in the US it appears to be incredibly limited, so much so I can't see a reason to subscribe once the trial is over.
However if you look at the features the EU has for their alfa connect app it's all the full features that you mention and as in-depth as the BMW app from my last car, so clearly the car is capable, but they decided to just scrimp in the US for apparent cost cutting.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nope, in the US it appears to be incredibly limited, so much so I can't see a reason to subscribe once the trial is over.
However if you look at the features the EU has for their alfa connect app it's all the full features that you mention and as in-depth as the BMW app from my last car, so clearly the car is capable, but they decided to just scrimp in the US for apparent cost cutting.
Thanks for confirming. This version is similar to the version from my 2017 Pacifica. I agree, not sure I will use it after the 12 month trial.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Beautiful car :)
Thank you very much! The chocolate seats do complement the interior & exterior quite well. I am very pleased with how this turned out!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Those chocolate seats are rad!!! If I ever get another Stelvio it will have that interior.

Just like to address the point of lack of infotainment features in North America,

It's a possibility Alfa decided to limit the avalible tech in the largest and most finicky auto market in the world (North America), to attempt to limit defects/warranty repairs, and public perception of reliability issues/consumer complaints. I know that doesn't make sense but please bare with me,

In other brands, like BMW, the tech features specifically relating to the infotainment system are actually one of the top areas of consumer complaints and bring down reliability ratings, depending on the survey it can be alot. You also should realize Maserati's use of Uconnect has been a negative for reviewers of that brand very often, probably why Alfa didn't use it.

Could be Alfa is trying to work the bugs out of thier not-nearly-as-old-or-refined-as-other-brands software before wider release.

Or maybe they were cheap. (Why develop your own software to then cheap out on features only in some markets though? The cheap solution would have been to not develop your own software).

Not trying to argue, just make a point. While Alfa Romeo as a nameplate is one of the oldest in the Auto industry, the software used in the infotainment system is newer than anyone else's. Makes sense it needs work, maybe not releasing every feature worldwide at the same time is smart? Sorta. The smart thing would'a probably been to use something already developed....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just like to address the point of lack of infotainment features in North America,

It's a possibility Alfa decided to limit the avalible tech in the largest and most finicky auto market in the world (North America), to attempt to limit defects/warranty repairs, and public perception of reliability issues/consumer complaints. I know that doesn't make sense but please bare with me,

In other brands, like BMW, the tech features specifically relating to the infotainment system are actually one of the top areas of consumer complaints and bring down reliability ratings, depending on the survey it can be alot. You also should realize Maserati's use of Uconnect has been a negative for reviewers of that brand very often, probably why Alfa didn't use it.
I'm sure I'll regret this, but I beg to differ, your comments regard the infotainment experience, which you are correct, is a frequent issue for users, however this has nothing to do with the infotainment system or anything that you can access on or within it.

Plain and simple this is about the US and only US limited implementation of a subscription-based connected car function, the fact that the EU has a far more fully fleshed out connected car app screams cheap and lack of faith in the US market, I also suspect some strong arm sales tactics from Sirius who in the US provides the connected car app/service/subscription.

This isn't about infotainment, it's about connected car feature that this car is already able to access in other regions

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Definite possibility.

It's important to understand the connected car features work through the processing of the infotainment system, it is all interconnected. It has to be to allow the advanced functions of the app.

It's definitely a lack of faith in the US market. Might be a lack of faith in that market being accepting of software bugs, less than a lack of faith in them paying for a service. Maybe not too.

From what I read on the Euro forums the app connectivity doesn't seem free of problems...kinda seems like an entire 'nother source of problems....but the European owners know more about that. Would love to hear from them.

Personally, I think Alfa should have all the features avalible elsewhere in the North America. Including the fog lights they give Australia. Also think they should use uConnect and have the features Tesla has in their app, offer slotted rotors and Sic brakes with more feedback that is tuned to feel like normal brakes, ventilated seats with 95 points of adjustibility, 32 interior color options and a 10 year powertrain warranty. You'de be surprised how often what I say isn't based on what I want or would like, or think is best.

I genuinely think alot of the mistakes Alfa makes is due less to them being cheap and more to them having 0 faith in themselves to make a product that won't get slammed. Entier company is like an 18 year old with all the potential and skill in the world but their family spent so much time telling them they are stupid (mostly to make themselves look better by tearing the kid down) that now this poor thing has no self-confidence and winds up sabotaging themselves. Literally thier own worst enemy...yeah they can and should do better, but the reasons they don't are more complex than it may appear at first.

Or maybe they just spent a billion dollars to develop a platform then decided to cheap out, after spending more money than they needed to on software.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Definite possibility.

It's important to understand the connected car features work through the processing of the infotainment system, it is all interconnected. It has to be to allow the advanced functions of the app.
The infotainment system, like the dashboard, the warning lights, telematics, etc, are all part of the interconnected systems, the infotainment system is just a window, the connected car is another window, linking connected car and infotainment together do a disservice to the complexity of the interconnected car networking and systems.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Have you ever written software code? Real question, you are obviously intelligent. Wouldn't surprise me.

I took classes back in high school, no expert but I know that adding one line of code can have all kinds of unexpected consequences in other code that makes no sense why it would effect. Even if that code is in a separate but connected component/software package..this is why building a computer can be such a compatibility nightmare.

The infotainment system software isn't a window. It's the house the windows are installed in, even that might be selling it short, might be more like the real estate the house is built on. The "house" being the computerized components within the car.

In computer terms it is an OS it runs everything in terms of the connected human-interface systems not involving the function of critical components (ie: engine, brakes, etc.), Although it can control those components via cruise control and other features. (Yes, that stuff runs in the infotainment processors, or ones run by the OS which is the to the infotainment as Android or iOS is to your phone.)

Not really trying argue, you might be right and it's just cause they are cheap. I don't know. (I enjoied debate club in school and have no problem discussing a contrasting opinions, legitimately am not trying to be a jerk. Am trying to share information others may not know)

But I do know the infotainment system is far more involved with things than it appears. Been that way since before true infotainment systems, for instance ina 1997 Honda Civic if you removed the factory radio you had to add components along with a replacement head unit, or lose the door locks and interior lights because it all ran through the stereo. Now almost everything runs through the stereo...way more than makes sense...or should.

(Should add, by "infotainment system" I mean the software that is displayed on the screen in the dash, not the physical components that run that software)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Love that red!!!! Beautiful rig. Have a 2018 Stelvio Ti Stromboli Gray Metallic and also got the chocolate interior. Been very happy with it. Also got chocolate interior floor mats/rugs for a close match.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@ALFAOFFROAD My disappointment with this Alfa Connect is that the software already exists in UConnect. In fact, when I tried to set up the app and log in for the first time, It would not let me since I was already a UConnect user on my Pacifica and Grand Cherokee. I simply used existing log-in and password for Alfa Connect. So..it already exists!! That's the bummer for me, I know what is missing and I know it is already there.

Alright, back to admiring my beautiful 2022 Stelvio Ti!

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Totally agreed.

Not using uConnect was a mistake. They had good reasons..reviewers slamming Maserati for it..but that's reviewers, people who drive Maserati's enjoy it, I think we would too, its one of the better software packages.

Oh well. Maybe next generation.
The good thing is that is an upgrade that should be easy to deliver.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Update: Added these rubber cupholder liners. They fit perfectly and make me very happy!

Plant Steering part Car Automotive design Vehicle

21 - 37 of 37 Posts