Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
Just beautiful! That is a great color! Tell us more about options, interior, etc.
Congratulations!
John

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just beautiful! That is a great color! Tell us more about options, interior, etc.
Congratulations!
John
Thank you!
I really appreciate the new 鈥榮tandard鈥 details on the Veloce. They basically include everything that was in the Nero Edizione, along with heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, compact spare. Really the only option we chose was the advanced drivers assist (haven鈥檛 tried yet - and it鈥檚 not so much for me - as I rather like the driver鈥檚 car :)
I鈥檓 just working as fast as I can to get through the break in period. Keeping it under 3500 RPM is an exercise in self-control 馃榿

Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
How great. I say the best way to break it in is to drive it! Go for it!!

Registered
Thank you!
I really appreciate the new 鈥榮tandard鈥 details on the Veloce. They basically include everything that was in the Nero Edizione, along with heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, compact spare. Really the only option we chose was the advanced drivers assist (haven鈥檛 tried yet - and it鈥檚 not so much for me - as I rather like the driver鈥檚 car :)
I鈥檓 just working as fast as I can to get through the break in period. Keeping it under 3500 RPM is an exercise in self-control 馃榿
Enjoy. It鈥檚 beautiful. Classy, but still aggressively sporty. Playing with the 2022 configurator, the compact spare still shows as a $450 option. On your vehicle, does it show as a standard feature?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoy. It鈥檚 beautiful. Classy, but still aggressively sporty. Playing with the 2022 configurator, the compact spare still shows as a $450 option. On your vehicle, does it show as a standard feature?
You are right.
My sales guy said it was included back in May when he first told me the order would be for a 2022, not a 2021.
I never checked the window sticker when it arrived because we agreed to a price I was very happy with. And they are offering very attractive financing terms for purchase right now - so we went that way over a lease (payments were actually less)

Registered
You are right.
My sales guy said it was included back in May when he first told me the order would be for a 2022, not a 2021.
I never checked the window sticker when it arrived because we agreed to a price I was very happy with. And they are offering very attractive financing terms for purchase right now - so we went that way over a lease (payments were actually less)
Cool. Your deal was even $450 better than you thought! I would have been surprised that Alfa made it standard, as it seems that a minority of Stelvios have it. I ordered my 2019 Ti Sport Carbon vehicle with it.

Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
I don't recall even seeing that as an option on my '22 when I ordered it in May. But then we did it from the dealer's computer since so maybe he didn't mention it and I didn't think to ask.
I have the inflator kit under the load floor.

Registered
Congrats, such an amazing vehicle. You must have been dying with anticipation. I can barely go to the dealer and not buy. I just bought back a 2018 Ti that I had sold and am thrilled, so having a new one and new to Stelvio is heaven. I had spotted a really nicely equipped 2021 Ti with performance package, Nero, advanced assist, good pricing鈥 didn鈥檛 go into the dealer because I knew I would leave with a new car, that鈥檚 what happened with the 4C!

Change oil every 5,000 miles. Drive gently while it warms up. Don鈥檛 overdrive the car, it won鈥檛 go any faster around the corner but will eat the brakes using stability control. Upgrade the tires as soon as you feel ready. Get friendly with a good independent shop, you will save 40% on dealer service prices. The 2.0 is relatively affordable to maintain. Have Fun!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats, such an amazing vehicle. You must have been dying with anticipation. I can barely go to the dealer and not buy. I just bought back a 2018 Ti that I had sold and am thrilled, so having a new one and new to Stelvio is heaven. I had spotted a really nicely equipped 2021 Ti with performance package, Nero, advanced assist, good pricing鈥 didn鈥檛 go into the dealer because I knew I would leave with a new car, that鈥檚 what happened with the 4C!

Change oil every 5,000 miles. Drive gently while it warms up. Don鈥檛 overdrive the car, it won鈥檛 go any faster around the corner but will eat the brakes using stability control. Upgrade the tires as soon as you feel ready. Get friendly with a good independent shop, you will save 40% on dealer service prices. The 2.0 is relatively affordable to maintain. Have Fun!
Wow - you鈥檙e a diehard Alfista - and that鈥檚 awesome!
I鈥檝e drooled over the 4C - but don鈥檛 think that鈥檚 in the near future.
I鈥檝e owned a 鈥72 Spider and an 鈥85 Milano, enjoyed them both, and super happy to be back in an Alfa.

I also appreciate the advice. Do you have a recommendation on tires? I run extreme performance summer on my Mini JCW, but don鈥檛 think I鈥檒l head there on the Stelvio :)
I would eventually like to have summer & winter sets for the Stelvio though (live in SLC) - so would love input.

The one area I ask for clarification is your statement of: 鈥渄on鈥檛 over drive the car鈥濃. I like to explore the limits of a performance car - especially one that has 50/50 weight distribution with rear wheel bias. Are you saying the nannies will intervene before you get there? I don鈥檛 want to drive over the limits - just know where they are so I can occasionally drive just below them鈥 a properly set up corner can be irresistible :)

Registered
I think your car comes equipped with the LSD as standard, which will help distribute traction at the back instead of braking a rear wheel.

By overdrive I mean that it is easy to cook into a corner and the nannies will correct for that, but in the process use the stability control and eat up the brakes. It feels fast but is not the fastest way around and turn exit speeds will be lower. Lots of enthusiastic Stelvio drivers and especially on the 2.0 the rear brakes are not oversized. You can get a kit to install race mode and it would be easier to discern good from sloppy driving.

For all of the Stelvios鈥檚 capability it is a big, heavy vehicle with a high roll center. Managing the wheight transfer front and back, left and right with smooth driving will keep the traction distributed properly. Pick the right gear so that the turbo push doesn鈥檛 upset the car when the boost comes in. Smooth transitions off the brakes as you turn in and then smooth application of power. Normal driving stuff.

For summer tires I use Michelin Pilot Sport SUV and am very pleased. There are also better all season tires like the Conti DWS 06+ And Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S that are much higher performing tires than the stock Continentals. Gotta see what is available as I had 19鈥 wheels. For winter I had Nokia鈥檚 Hakka R3 and was happy as well, car did not drive like a pig.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think your car comes equipped with the LSD as standard, which will help distribute traction at the back instead of braking a rear wheel.

By overdrive I mean that it is easy to cook into a corner and the nannies will correct for that, but in the process use the stability control and eat up the brakes. It feels fast but is not the fastest way around and turn exit speeds will be lower. Lots of enthusiastic Stelvio drivers and especially on the 2.0 the rear brakes are not oversized. You can get a kit to install race mode and it would be easier to discern good from sloppy driving.

For all of the Stelvios鈥檚 capability it is a big, heavy vehicle with a high roll center. Managing the wheight transfer front and back, left and right with smooth driving will keep the traction distributed properly. Pick the right gear so that the turbo push doesn鈥檛 upset the car when the boost comes in. Smooth transitions off the brakes as you turn in and then smooth application of power. Normal driving stuff.

For summer tires I use Michelin Pilot Sport SUV and am very pleased. There are also better all season tires like the Conti DWS 06+ And Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S that are much higher performing tires than the stock Continentals. Gotta see what is available as I had 19鈥 wheels. For winter I had Nokia鈥檚 Hakka R3 and was happy as well, car did not drive like a pig.
Thank you.
Good advice (slow in / fast out; don鈥檛 upset the balance).
I realize I鈥檓 in an SUV - sitting much higher than my Mini (which I lowered 3/4鈥, have progressive rate springs, and other adjustments to ensure neither push nor over-steer - very communicative at the limit). I鈥檓 not going to track the Stelvio, that鈥檚 what the Mini is for鈥 but I can鈥檛 help but enjoy how nicely this car rotates.
Yes I have LSD which will help.
I鈥檒l need to learn the roll on turn-in, but I鈥檓 still in the break-in period - so keeping revs down. Plenty of time to grow with the car.

My dilemma will be how many miles to put on the original tires before I go for good Summer tires. I expect they will increase the fun-factor :)

On the Winter tires - I鈥檒l have to look at the Nokia鈥檚. Blizak鈥檚 do have a good reputation for traction, but I鈥檝e never driven them on a performance oriented car.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and insight

Registered
Better tires increase fun factor, but once you get how to manage the weight transfer..this thing might be more fun with Prius tires then summer tires depending on your definition...but really. You'de want the traction control off to enjoy that.

Remember this, slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Don't worry about your speed just pay attention to how the weight moves around when you rotate the wheel, get those sensations as smooth as you can while driving a relatively comfortable speed so you have the time to let yourself get a real feel.for how to control the weight. Once that happens going fast smoothly won't be problem. Get summer tires then, blow your fun factor meter up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts