Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://reason.com/2021/08/06/the-i...-unproven-drunk-driving-detection-technology/

Read the article. "Passive" tech that has not even been developed yet.

I don't drink alcohol and I don't like paying to baby-sit the lack of judgement and personal character defects of a small percentage of people that do drink.

Lane keeping. Parking guides. Engine start/stop on idle. Now this. Our cars are turning into nannies.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Um......yup.

And the company leading the charge...is one of the highest valued companies in the industry..with horrendous reliability and build quality then a business model based on charging customers for beta testing new features....while simultaneously over promising on what those features are capable of.

So yup. All screwed.

(Same thought process that passes laws mandating technology that is not ready for wide spread use -EVs- is the same process that passes laws for this type of tech too. Hopefully it won't pass though, since it is still going through the process there is some hope. Regardless, we live in a post requiring-things-to-work-before-requiring-them-to-be-used-or-sold world.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I understand the thought behind what they are trying to do but I do not agree with the implementation. What ever people are are all over the map on this issue, so it is what it is. I pick up friends all the time from the club so I get it but at the same time I feel like the Minority Report is becoming more real.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Wait till they do a bladder check to make sure you don't have to stop before the next charging station.
Solution , hey honey, come over here for a moment and blow my car so it starts...........

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wish it was in the car of the drunk driver that crossed lanes and hit me head on.

Unfortunately there is absolutely no requirement in the bill that says the passive detection must disable the vehicle from driving. It can literally just be a warning like putting on your seatbelt.

When will they get something for the phone text and driving folks too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts