Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling lucky, found a new warning light, "Service Transmission". About a mile from home last night, on it comes, immediately into limp mode and struggles into the garage. To head off any discussion of battery not being fully charged there was a discernable, excuse the technical term, light grinding sound on vehicle movement. 1231 miles out of warranty and now I am going to have it towed 60 miles to the dealer. Could be something relatively minor but I'm not holding out hope. This is after an engine replacement at 38,000 miles. Love the car but man, this is frustrating.

Font Gadget Vehicle Communication Device Display device

·
Registered
574 Posts
Feeling lucky, found a new warning light, "Service Transmission". About a mile from home last night, on it comes, immediately into limp mode and struggles into the garage. To head off any discussion of battery not being fully charged there was a discernable, excuse the technical term, light grinding sound on vehicle movement. 1231 miles out of warranty and now I am going to have it towed 60 miles to the dealer. Could be something relatively minor but I'm not holding out hope. This is after an engine replacement at 38,000 miles. Love the car but man, this is frustrating.

View attachment 23536
Hi ColoRob,
If you need any additional support alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to assist.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
It's been about 13k since your engine replacement?

What was it for?

Have there been there any weirdness' from the tranny since the engine replacement? Anything?

Grinding most often means an issue with the planetary gear system. Not always but normally. Generally there are warning signs before that though, hard shifts, jerky shifts, hesitation, "thunk" sound when shifting, maybe it slammed into park a few times unexplainably?

My "hope" would be after engine replacement the shop didn't top off the tranny fluid or something. You might see if you can get an independent shop to scan the car an give you the tranny fluid level.

good luck man.

Alfa if you listen at all....this might be a good case for some "goodwill" coverage, even though he is just out of warranty. Volkswagen group does things like that I know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still waiting in queue to be diagnosed so we will see. Considering the mileage and history of the vehicle, without prompting, dealer service said whatever the diagnoses they would be reaching out to Alfa Romeo regarding a goodwill warranty so kudos to them. We'll see how it plays out.

I have the luxury of being friends with an independent Porsche/Audi/VW mechanic and he was adamant that I get a copy of the scan and let him take a look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been about 13k since your engine replacement?

What was it for?

Have there been there any weirdness' from the tranny since the engine replacement? Anything?
Sorry for not addressing this.

The replacement was due to a failed oil pump solenoid.

Nothing of note from the tranny since the engine replacement. When it went into limp mode it was extremely rough and limited me to 20mph, no shifting outright. As I babied it into the garage there was distinct noise from the transmission and that's where things currently stand.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Ok..oil pump solenoid won't effect the tranny per se, however a full engine replacement....possible some junk got in tranny, possible it wasn't refilled fully...

But if it hasn't been acting up at all....makes it harder to prove. Definitely show your friend anything you receive from the dealer. Fingers crossed for the Goodwill coverage, sounds like a solid candidate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts