Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of our 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport in November. Optioned it up and picked the volcano black metallic finish. Had the front side windows tinted to 35% to give it a nice "stealth" look and also had the entire car wrapped in protective film given our harsh winters here. Finally had the front windscreen treated with chip resistant coating as I'm pretty sure getting a OEM replacement may take a while. So far a great car with no issues. Will be investigating exhaust upgrade and fresh air intake to help the power plant breathe. The Harmon Kardon sound system upgrade is a little weak so that will get some attention from me in the months to come.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Where in Canada are you?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Look forward to hearing about your adventures, DR. Glad to know you and best wishes on your new ride!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Zvezdah1 and Dr. Jones, what has your experience been with the Calgary dealership? I haven't even been able to get them to respond to my web inquiry on the Canadian Alfa site. I selected the Calgary, Vancouver and Saskatoon dealers (gives you up to three choices), i got almost immediate responses from Vancouver and Saskatoon and nothing from Calgary. I called them and they didn't really seem to be able to provide basic information on their current stock, or when they expect additional stock.

I'm kind of leary of purchasing if the dealer is so unresponsive to someone interested in purchasing - not sure what to expect if I actually get the car and have issues later!

·
Registered
536 Posts
HI,
Actually I"m down in Georgia bought from an Atlanta area dealer so I can't be of any help on this. Sorry :)
Zvezdah1 and Dr. Jones, what has your experience been with the Calgary dealership? I haven't even been able to get them to respond to my web inquiry on the Canadian Alfa site. I selected the Calgary, Vancouver and Saskatoon dealers (gives you up to three choices), i got almost immediate responses from Vancouver and Saskatoon and nothing from Calgary. I called them and they didn't really seem to be able to provide basic information on their current stock, or when they expect additional stock.

I'm kind of leary of purchasing if the dealer is so unresponsive to someone interested in purchasing - not sure what to expect if I actually get the car and have issues later!

·
Registered
534 Posts

My dealings with Calgary have been very good so far considering how generally crappy dealers are in this city.
If you need answers to any questions, I would just call Lucas @ Alfa Romeo Calgary directly, 403-478-9079
He's been very good at answering/ returning calls and always answers texts to that number

~Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I worked with Lucas at the Calgary dealership and he is really good and is very responsive to all my questions. Do call him as he did a great job on my Stelio

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where did you get your car wrapped and how much? Nice to see Calgary folks on here. I ordered mine last week and probably getting my Stelvio in June sometime.

·
Registered
381 Posts
front windshield coating?

Took delivery of our 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport in November. Optioned it up and picked the volcano black metallic finish. Had the front side windows tinted to 35% to give it a nice "stealth" look and also had the entire car wrapped in protective film given our harsh winters here. Finally had the front windscreen treated with chip resistant coating as I'm pretty sure getting a OEM replacement may take a while. So far a great car with no issues. Will be investigating exhaust upgrade and fresh air intake to help the power plant breathe. The Harmon Kardon sound system upgrade is a little weak so that will get some attention from me in the months to come.
That was a smart idea regarding the front windshield treated with chip resistant coating. What did that take and how much was the cost? I'm thinking I should do the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
costs for film protection and extended warranty options in canada

How much was it for wrapping the entire car in protective film?? Is it the same film they use on ferrari's? The price i got quoted seemed a lot to spend on a a car at this price point (estimate was around $7k for the entire car, and $4k for only the front up to the mirrors). That was for the same film they use on Ferrari's, so not sure if you got the same.

Did you purchase any extended warranty?? Was any offered??? Part of my hesitation, on both the Guilia and the Stelvio, is being unsure about reliability. I had a horrible experience with reliablity on my 2008 BMW 335xi, which i sold for $40k less than what i paid 2 1/2 years after purchase (only had 50,000 km). On the flip side my 2010 Lexus RX350, was problem free and i just sold it for $14000 after putting on 198,000km on it. It was not as fun to drive as the BMW (when it wasn't in the shop), but it was headache free. I purchased a 6 year/160k km warranty on it which gave some peace of mind.

When the Guilia and Stelvio got announced, my plan was to purchase both quad models, but with the delay in pricing/relaease date info for the Stelvio Quad, i decided to purchase another Lexus RX350 Sport for now. We've been a one car family for a while, but the plan is to purchase a second vehicle that is more fun to drive for me, so I'd like to either get a Guilia Quad (what the heart wants), or a Stelvio Quad (what the head says to get considering Calgary winters). I would like to get an extended warranty, given the unknown of Alfa reliability in north america, and given that there are so much electronics in cars now that I like having the peace of mind of the extended warranty (with the new Lexus i also purchased a 6yr/180k extended warranty, which nets out to $2500 for the duration, when you subtract the cost of the pre-paid regular maintenance costs for the first 3 years).

I have seen posts of MOPAR warranty for both the Guilia and Stelvio from USA buyers, but that sounds like a third party warranty. Not sure what the options are in Canada, or whether extended warranty's are offered directly from Alfa, or 3rd parties. Before getting my new Lexus RX350 Sport, I also considered the BMW X5 50xi M package (despite the past headache I had with my previous BMW). When i inquired about an extended warranty on the X5, the quote of $9k for a similar term warranty as the Lexus, sent off alarm bells in my mind. If BMW is charging that much for an extended warranty, they obviously don't have much confidence on the reliability of their vehicle and it looks like they expect the costs of maintenance, on top of regular scheduled maintenance to be very high.

I'm not leasing and will be paying cash, so i do want the car to last me 5 to 7 years to make it worth the cost and i do tend to put on a lot of miles, so I'd like the comfort of an extended warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, the paint coating is the same that they use on Ferrari. I was $4K for the entire car and am really happy with the quality of work. Through a harsh winter here and the car looks great after washing. I do not have an extended warranty and in the same breath have not had any serious issues with the car. I had a reset done to the computer when I got an engine warning after taking in a huge amount of snow in the front of the car. And I had the switch on the passenger seat replaced as it would cut out the odd time. Other than that a very good experience and really enjoying the car. I have an excellent dealer and the service department is very receptive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The coating went on really well and you would never know it is there. I paid about $700 for the coating and with the harsh roads I have with a lot of sand put down I have no chips on the wind screen - which is a real testament that it is a good product. I highly recommend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The coating went on really well and you would never know it is there. I paid about $700 for the coating and with the harsh roads I have with a lot of sand put down I have no chips on the wind screen - which is a real testament that it is a good product. I highly recommend.
Thanks for the info!! What is the coating for?? Is that different from the clear wrap? Or is this separate and specifically for the windshield?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the info!! What is the coating for?? Is that different from the clear wrap? Or is this separate and specifically for the windshield?
If the Alfa dealership got it for him, it could be the exoshield. Which I think is brilliant and I will be getting on my Stelvio when it gets here.
I was quoted 995 though. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts