Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Newbie here! Been looking at a Stelvio here in San Antonio tx. Tired of driving a tundra but not sure this will fill my needs. Love the look and how I fit in it. I can’t find a small pickup that I like and can fit in.

Does anyone tow with theirs?

So what should I be looking out for as far as issues go?

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Greetings + welcome Msic10. All the dirty laundry is circulating in this forum but in perspective other than a few early issues (recalls, voltage due to discharged batteries) there have been very few issues (remember statistics say happy people without an axe to grind are less likely to participate or tend to lurk in public and consumer forums). I don't intend to tow an Airstream but it's hard to conceive of a vehicle that checks so many boxes and emotions both functional and practical. To me/our family it's the perfect selection and 11k miles later no regrets with enthusiasm and passion. None. Good luck and we will enjoy following the drama of your experience!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
there is one member here with a Curt hitch, class 2 I believe, for towing a large pontoon boat.
search and you should find a pic of the boat.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Hi folks! Newbie here! Been looking at a Stelvio here in San Antonio tx. Tired of driving a tundra but not sure this will fill my needs. Love the look and how I fit in it. I can’t find a small pickup that I like and can fit in.

They are finishing up my hitch installation this morning at the Alfa dealer (Jeff D'Ambrosio in Frazer PA)... Will post pics and details when I get it back. Also I ordered the roof bars 'official' Alfa issue... more on this later too. I do intend to tow yard waste and my utility trailer as well as the occasional U-Haul box and a bike rack but nothing serious otherwise FYI.

As much as I appreciate the Giulia loaner- I couldn't take a bike ride last night (won't fit in Guilia) and we wanted to get our Rottie's nails trimmed so we absolutely miss our the utility aspect of Stelvio ownership!

·
Registered
542 Posts

I can't comment on the towing aspect but I can give you a very general idea of the vehicle. If you want a fun to drive small SUV type vehicle where driving dynamics is your top priority, this would be it. If you like new technology/electronics/sound system that works well and isn't glitchy, look elsewhere. There are a lot of little irritating things about this vehicle that some people can look past and others can't.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
When in doubt, put it in dynamic and search for a few 1g lateral loads....electronics are forgotten when you have a big ole grin on your face. Software upgrades have been forthcoming. I suspect they are waiting till they have dealt with most of the issues before releasing another upgrade. Little things like Apple screwing with Ipods etc

·
Registered
536 Posts
is this the factory alfa hitch or another? How many hours did they say the install would take and/or what's thte cost of the hitch and install.

They are finishing up my hitch installation this morning at the Alfa dealer (Jeff D'Ambrosio in Frazer PA)... Will post pics and details when I get it back. Also I ordered the roof bars 'official' Alfa issue... more on this later too. I do intend to tow yard waste and my utility trailer as well as the occasional U-Haul box and a bike rack but nothing serious otherwise FYI.

As much as I appreciate the Giulia loaner- I couldn't take a bike ride last night (won't fit in Guilia) and we wanted to get our Rottie's nails trimmed so we absolutely miss our the utility aspect of Stelvio ownership!

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Just got back to the office-- everything is official Alfa Romeo and will post pics asap (but making up for lost time at the moment). The hitch is factory version-- very satisfied, 2" receiver, small extrusion below the bumper cover, flat connector-- he said most of the labor is in the wiring harness + it was the first one they have done.

Hitch and wiring kit parts $650; with labor $1137. Ouch - don't tell my wife yet... Roof bars $325; with labor $425.

Also recalls (2) and updated flash 17-112 engine controls-- definite improvement of stop/start operation and a few other display features/phone display now shows names and is a little cleaner (and I was satisfied before). Wash; wiped interior; full tank of gas. First impression is some wind noise with the roof bars - not hateful but I want to play with them a bit and of course, they are removable and I will explore that possibility too.

Glad to have Stella back to be honest this is truly a special vehicle and I can see the evolution and refinement even from the (base) Guilia that I drove for 2 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just got back to the office-- everything is official Alfa Romeo and will post pics asap (but making up for lost time at the moment). The hitch is factory version-- very satisfied, 2" receiver, small extrusion below the bumper cover, flat connector-- he said most of the labor is in the wiring harness + it was the first one they have done.

Hitch and wiring kit parts $650; with labor $1137. Ouch - don't tell my wife yet... Roof bars $325; with labor $425.

Also recalls (2) and updated flash 17-112 engine controls-- definite improvement of stop/start operation and a few other display features/phone display now shows names and is a little cleaner (and I was satisfied before). Wash; wiped interior; full tank of gas. First impression is some wind noise with the roof bars - not hateful but I want to play with them a bit and of course, they are removable and I will explore that possibility too.

Glad to have Stella back to be honest this is truly a special vehicle and I can see the evolution and refinement even from the (base) Guilia that I drove for 2 days.

Thanks for the update and info - please do post some hitch photos when you have a chance.
Just curious - what is the "updated flash 17-112 engine controls" you mention - was this something the dealer told you was available, or something you requested? I just had my recall work done, and don't recall the dealer mentioning they did any software or flash updates.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
skr9: "PERFORM RRT 17-112 SOFTWARE UPDATE" - what he described when he explained the bill was update to engine controls. I have observed a difference in the stop/start feature performance so far everything else seems as per normal. Our delivery date was November 28, 2017, I was thinking an update was available. FYI

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Skr9 + fellow Stelvistis: I am very satisfied with the hitch installation and design. It is the official Alfa hitch detailed in the other diagram. The light connector is flat type (just fine for me) and mounts neatly in the bracket assembly. The safety chain connections are within the bracket itself, one piece. 2" receiver. Pics edited for clarity. The dealer said the light harness was a little time consuming.

Attachments

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we did a deal, got a loaner as they were going to put my purchased one in make ready on Monday. I drove the loaner home and had some buyers remorse. We drove it Sunday and both exited with wet backs and we wished for ventilated seats. So I cancelled the deal , got my Tundra and check back. Wife just bought '18 grand Cherokee and it has all sorts of bells and whistles and ventilated ( by air conditioned air) seats. So now I dunno what I wanna do!☹

·
Registered
381 Posts
RRT-17-112 - liftback

skr9: "PERFORM RRT 17-112 SOFTWARE UPDATE" - what he described when he explained the bill was update to engine controls. I have observed a difference in the stop/start feature performance so far everything else seems as per normal. Our delivery date was November 28, 2017, I was thinking an update was available. FYI
I got back my car from the dealer on Thursday when the update was done on the ECM. Be sure to check your trunk lid settings out in the open if you have a low ceiling garage. My liftback hit the ceiling. My custom setting was no longer saved in the system.

BUT, so glad to have my car back!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts