Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2021 Stelvio Ti Sport recently and I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the throttle tuning and lag. Not turbo lag, but throttle lag. I eventually realized, you can put the vehicle in Park, floor it, then let up very quickly and the rpm’s don’t even move! And of course this carries over to starting out from a stop. What the heck Alfa? Anyhow, I thought I’d try the Madness GoPedal. I understand it doesn’t remove the initial throttle lag and doesn’t actually make the car faster but HOLY COWWWWW, what a difference!!! I honestly expected the difference to be more subtle.

It feels like it wants to go fast now instead of having to force it to go fast. It feels invigorated instead of tired or lazy. I have to be carefully turning from a stop now that I don’t spin the rear tires where before I really couldn’t get any spin or lateral movement at all. Some of these car companies really need to learn how important tuning is. I honestly probably wouldn’t have kept this car long at all, without this change.

I’m feeling much better about this car now. It was kind of disappointing before . . . it’s such a beautiful car and handles incredibly well . . . anyhow, what a difference. I’ll probably go with the Madness MaxPower Pro next. Any feedback regarding that or other tunes would be welcome. I’ve read up a bit on some other posts on here about them already.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
The throttle programming is pretty obviously an EPA concession. There are ways to work around it (brake torquing, timing your throttle inputs like a rollout - just take your foot off the brake, it will begin to roll under it's own power, wait for the roll..gas.)

But....yeah the throttle lag holds the car's acceleration numbers back pretty bad.

Glad you are happy with the GoPedal! That lets you tune the throttle response doesn't it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that’s ridiculous. The only reason folks may think that is because of the massive lag then followed by quick power which gives you the feeling of whiplash. If the lag was not there, that would not happen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think it’s a drive by wire problem. I’ve had over 30 cars including plenty of other drive by wire accelerator cars. This is just poor tuning. It’s unfortunate for such a great car otherwise.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
499 Posts
I don’t think it’s a drive by wire problem. I’ve had over 30 cars including plenty of other drive by wire accelerator cars. This is just poor tuning. It’s unfortunate for such a great car otherwise.
I had a pedal booster in my previous Stelvio, but it was too jerky even on a lower setting. I don't really miss it to be honest. With manual mode and paddle shifters I am happy.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
154 Posts
I had the same issue with the throttle response last summer, so I decided I would put it on the trickle charger at the end of every day(overnight) to see if there was a difference. And there was a significant improvement. I have a 2019 ti sport with the original battery. Sometimes trying simple things first can get the desired result. At the time I was only making short trips with it and that could've been the cause (not fully charging). Now I'm no longer on the daily charging but I do make longer daily trips and no issues.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... The throttle response on mine is fine, good, actually. And this is my first turbo car AND my first automatic car, so I'm pretty in tune with throttle response. Sure, in A & N mode it's a little more gentle, but in D it's great. Honestly, D is a little too sensitive for me when I'm driving in the city/stop & go.

Is there something else that could be causing it? I find it really hard to believe that there is a huge variation in this from the factory...

Note that I'm not on the original battery, I've got a Mopar AGM.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah, I've driven the 4cyl extensively, no issues with throttle or turbo. None on the quad either. For me or my wife you drives more gently.
Of course the quad has more off idle pickup, but neither is like a 78 Saab turbo which had lag and unpredictable turbor response.
I think it just has to do with what people are accustomed to or expecting.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
499 Posts
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... The throttle response on mine is fine, good, actually. And this is my first turbo car AND my first automatic car, so I'm pretty in tune with throttle response. Sure, in A & N mode it's a little more gentle, but in D it's great. Honestly, D is a little too sensitive for me when I'm driving in the city/stop & go.

Is there something else that could be causing it? I find it really hard to believe that there is a huge variation in this from the factory...

Note that I'm not on the original battery, I've got a Mopar AGM.
What year Stelvio and where did you buy the Mopar AGM?

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
479 Posts
I have no issue with pedal response on my 2020 TI. Definitely don’t feel any need for a GoPedal or the like. And I’m coming from a big V8. In A pedal response in slow off the line of course. I drive in N most of the time and pedal response off the line is perfect for city driving as well as driving at speed on the freeways. I use D when I’m maneuvering through traffic or just want to have a little fun. D gives awesome pedal response and a feeling of connectivity through all speeds.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I think it has to do with type of throttle inputs the person uses. Which is something most of us don't think about, especially if we learned to drive on an automatic with traction control. Even a really fast automatic that we would turn the TC off to make black strips on pavement with sometimes.

The gas pedal in vehicles now is not analogue, it's digital. It does not work in a 1:1 ratio opening progressively as you push down on the pedal. Instead a computer reads the inputs you give and based on an algorithm opens the throttle to the appropriate amount.

How it does this depends on you, the driver.

Do you drive like someone who has never driven a car without traction control? Fast gas pedal inputs with no regard to what that power delivery would do if there was no TC keeping things from spinning? (Someone who has driven a manual with no TC knows there are ways to spin tires with 85hp, and often habitually has a different way of operating the gas then someone who has never driven stick - not saying one is better, saying they have different habits).

Move your foot too fast and the computer can't keep up, it waits till you stop moving, or slows down to read your input. This makes things feel laggy. Especially in the comfort oriented driving modes which prioritize smoothness.

Move your foot just a hair slower and more controlled now the system reads the inputs as you input them since all the systems can keep up smoothly. Giving you better acceleration.

Now..try it by varying the speed you operate the pedal, slow small amount of throttle tip in, (feel car begin to move) a little more a little faster (car goes more) stand on it.....launch. No brake torquing, super fast. (Haven't even gotten to the little 1/8th inch of movement at the bottom of the pedal that doesn't get used unless your heel is on the bottom of the pedal. Try putting your entier foot on the gas pedal once and realize it changes how the throttle responds subtly, especially
from a dead stop.)

This car has a carbon fiber driveshaft..it is light. It spins fast with little inertia. Other manufacturers do not use anything like it. Is it superior? Yes, in some ways, other ways maybe not.

Really it's different. Fast application of power through a light driveshaft overwhelms traction at the wheels faster then fast application through a heavy driveshaft due to the drive shaft absorbing more of the power through inertia (and twisting/deformation of the metal) and therefore transmitting less power to the wheels, slower.

Slower transmission of power delivery means less forces working to break the tires loose.

The lighter a vehicle's drivetrain the harder it is to launch. Yes, lighter is faster..it also requires more skill.

Race driver's don't just drive with their hands. They drive with their feet too, application of gas and brake is as methodical as steering inputs.

You want to get the most out of your Alfa...try doing the same thing. Some people do this because it is their habit, other people it isn't. I genuinely believe that is why some people can't get the car to get out of its own way, and others have no problems. People want to say it's the car...no the car is constant. What changes is the driver.

Most vehicles are designed specifically to make these things not matter, that way anyone can jump in their car and get the most out of it. Skill not required. Alfa's reward skill. Sadly that means they don't reward.......not having skill,.or that type of skill (there are certainly other areas where you are highly skilled, and not being as skilled in other areas does not make you less of a person. We are all different but equal)

Not being critical of anyone, just trying to bring a perspective that might help you enjoy your car more. Besides learning new skills is fun right?

If you don't want to mess with it...pedal commanders and tunes can make it more like other cars through software stuff (they act like a filter and slow down the inputs in addition to changing the mapping. I realize this sounds counter intuitive...really it's very complex. Physics...lots and lots of adavanced physics and geometry. Aka, magic.)

·
Registered
503 Posts
What year Stelvio and where did you buy the Mopar AGM?
2019, bought it with the battery already in it. It was a fleet vehicle in Detroit originally and has a Chrysler logo sticker on the base of the windshield, so I'm assuming someone at a dealership or at corporate bought it originally. The battery most likely came from a Chrysler/Dodge dealership.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You know... coming from other SUVs, Stelvio isn't slow.... at the same time, I don't think any of the SUVs are considered a "sports car" Anyhow if you mistakenly bought Stelvio thinking it was a sports car, then Go pedal may resolve that issue? Who knows... That's one of the reasons why I don't drive this car on the tracks and it's a nice commuting vehicle for me. Speaking of battery, I'm gonna ask for replacement on my car under warranty just for hell of it. Will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
The Quad is an SUV that hits "sports car" territory, definitely not the 4cyl.

I think "hot hatch" works well for the 4 cyl. An SUV that hits "Hot hatch" territory.

Hot hatches need more work from the driver, use of momentum, they have more body roll, but they can run, and all that extra stuff kinda adds to the fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2019 Sport here. Installed both Go Pedal and Max Power Pro soon after purchase. Coming out of SRT Grand Cherokee, and was impressed with 2.0 performance with exception of throttle/turbo lag, whatever you want to call it from off idle or creeping speed. There is no question it exists. If you brake torque the motor to 2k or so, it bypasses that lag from a dead stop. That’s how You achieve a 5.4 sec 0-60 times versus 6.5 sec just stomping the pedal from idle. Now, whether this matters to you is personal taste.

My experience was I could never get the response with the Go Pedal that I wanted through all the various tunes (mine is the Bluetooth model). Yes, you can dial the sensitivity way up, so you can get insane throttle application, but it turns the throttle into a light switch vs a progressive application. So, I took it off.
I do like the Max Power Pro though. Transforms the mid range to 5500 rpm in a noticeable way.

Unless I’m on snow or ice, or cruise control engaged on freeway, I drive 100% in “D”. Trans shifts and throttle response just right for a drivers vehicle. Other modes are just too soft in both throttle and trans shifts, particularly “A”, which should be renamed Ice mode:)

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
The lag exists for sure. For sure. Hope no one thinks I said otherwise. However there are work arounds without a tuner.

Regardless....the tuners and such are the best way to not every once and a while be at an intersection, slam the gas and wind up thinking "WTF car? Go! Oh..ok...freaking finally." Although I am almost to the point I have the pedal dance described earlier down to reflex.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The other side of the Pedal adjusters is go from full throttle in high speed situation and try to modulate....nothing happens till you get to 50%++ lift..............that too, can really suck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The other side of the Pedal adjusters is go from full throttle in high speed situation and try to modulate....nothing happens till you get to 50%++ lift..............that too, can really suck.
I don’t understand your point. The pedal basically compresses the area of modulation so adding or removing throttle both happen quicker.

Every once in awhile I turn off the GoPedal and I am pretty sure I would have traded in this car without it. It is far and away the best improvement ever for this car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts