Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm about to hit 1000 miles on my Alfa White Sport. Aside from a few dislikes with the infotainment system, I'm loving it and have had zero problems. Anyone else sick of reading comments in articles from all of the Alfa haters that only know from 40 years ago. This is my 3rd Alfa (Alfetta & 164), and each one - especially the Stelvio - proves them wrong and cements my appreciation for them more and more. I look forward to your support!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Glad to hear that you have no issues so far. For a lot of us here that will be an area of concern since Alfa doesn't really have a track record we can depend on, much unlike other brand that have been producing similar models for decades now.
Did you test out similar vehicles from other car makers before coming over to the Stelvio?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been driving a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for a couple years. Obviously, it's a different kind of SUV, but it is an FCA product and also on the Giulia frame. I think it also has the same 8-speed transmission. I never had any problems with it - although they seemed to tweak the transmission software every time I took it in for service. You'll laugh, but I was also looking at the Ford Edge Sport. I wasn't really looking to go premium, but I saw and drove the Stelvio and I was hooked. I'm sure the Porsches, BMW's, etc are great cars, but I've always loved my Alfas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congratulations on the new car! It's good to have actual owners on the forum.

On a side note, Jeep Cherokee is based on a modified and stretched version of AR Giulietta's FWD platform. Stelvio and Giulia are based on a different newer platform. So yes there is some Alfa in the Cherokee as well.

How do you find the ride quality and handling on your Stelvio?

·
Registered
72 Posts
600 perfect miles unlike my rejected FPaces , stunning car, I agree the infotainment isn't state of the art BUT it all works.
300 mile trip this weekend can't wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had been driving a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for a couple years. Obviously, it's a different kind of SUV, but it is an FCA product and also on the Giulia frame. I think it also has the same 8-speed transmission. I never had any problems with it - although they seemed to tweak the transmission software every time I took it in for service. You'll laugh, but I was also looking at the Ford Edge Sport. I wasn't really looking to go premium, but I saw and drove the Stelvio and I was hooked. I'm sure the Porsches, BMW's, etc are great cars, but I've always loved my Alfas.
I actually picked up a Ford Edge Sport for my wife 2 yrs ago. Great highway car and nice twin turbo engine, otherwise I find it quite boring. Lease is up in another year+ and will look to get her into the Stelvio at that time. The Edge leaves me a little disappointed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on the new car! It's good to have actual owners on the forum.

On a side note, Jeep Cherokee is based on a modified and stretched version of AR Giulietta's FWD platform. Stelvio and Giulia are based on a different newer platform. So yes there is some Alfa in the Cherokee as well.

How do you find the ride quality and handling on your Stelvio?
Thanks for the clarification. I knew there had to be a difference.
The ride is everything that is written about it. To be honest, I'm usually in "N" mode for around town. It has plenty of performance and is very smooth accelerating and riding. Dynamic mode definitely adds a kick to the acceleration, shifting, and handling. I dial it in a couple times a day just because I can't resist. The paddle shifters are great (look cool too), but I tend to let the automatic handle the shifting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Edge was really going to be for my wife too, but I went for the Stelvio and she got my Jeep. I think she did okay in the end.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"...unlike my rejected FPaces"

We're cross-shopping the Stelvio with 2018 F-Pace 25T (new 4 cylinder), which seems to be a bit quieter than previous versions. Maybe fewer gremlins?

What was your experience with F-Pace, and Jag dealer service? We've concerns with both, but also about our Fiat/Alfa dealer (only one in the state).

So concerned, that we may end up in the not really preferred larger MDX Sport Hybrid. (With the three electric motors, 7 speed DCT, and suspension upgrade, it drives really well for it's size/weight. But it's rather pedestrian.)

For reference, we drove the 2015 Ford Edge Sport and really enjoyed it, but were put off by the early problems including the water leaks.

We bought a 2016 Kia Sorento 2.0 Turbo, which we've been pleased with, but are drawn to the Stelvio. We're interested in the Lusso with Crema tan interior.

PS: We're interested in Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, so the 2018 version of the MDX or "late availability" Stelvio.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a nightmare with the quality of the panels especially the bonnet also the ICT PRO infotainment was very poor especially on the first car.
The second car was better but hardly a week went by without some proplem.
Jaguar dealer was good on the first car but no help on the second and Jaguar customer service are useless couldn't care a !!! about customers.
They are still manufacturing cars where the bonnet doesn't fit.

I am in the uK so similar to US I think the dealership handles AR Fiat and Jeep.

MY dealer was first class, experienced knowledgable salesman who nothing was to much trouble.
Great handover and most importantly a really good car.

I have had the car detailed and it looks amazing.

I have posted the pics before before.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Impressed to hear the Ford Edge brought into this thread given the fact this forum is based around a model that sits in a segment above the Edge. Too bad Lincoln can't get its version of the Edge right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Impressed to hear the Ford Edge brought into this thread given the fact this forum is based around a model that sits in a segment above the Edge. Too bad Lincoln can't get its version of the Edge right.
Don't be so sure about that, the Edge Sport msrp's at $49k+. Now I got it for just over $40 as the 2016 models were starting to show up. At 49 I would be a little more upset. I just find it boring around town, the twin turbo v6 is a great engine, it's a comfortable quiet long distance cruiser but other than that it's kinda blah.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts