Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 stelvio, two weeks old. Two service visits already. They replaced the rear tail light as it was accumulating condensation. Also balanced wheels due to vibration.
Today driving home from work as soon as i got off the higway car started shaking really bad and sounded like the rear end was coming off. Pulled over checked car over...nothing. drove it home slowly, as i pulled in the driway i glanced in the mirror and saw the freakin rear driver side wheel woble. One of the lug bolts had fallen out...i managed to keep it together but wife freaked out. Seconds from a disaster..

Attachments

·
171 Posts
Wow......not good. Didn't torque the studs properly after balancing.

That isn't the dealer, or the car.
That's the tech. You need to call them, that needs to be addressed immediatly. You need your wheel studs re-torqued, now.
That is a calamity avoided. Glad you didn't have any serious problems other than wobble.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is a terrible situation and could have ended in tragedy. This perfectly sums up the Alfa Romeo experience in the USA and why they will never succeed here. Complete lack of easily accessible and qualified sales/service is what will lead to their second failed attempt here. I truly hope you consult with an attorney regarding this incident and not settle for a simple sorry from the service department. Best of Luck!

Reactions: waffles

·
Registered
22 Posts
An attorney for what?
Fortunately nothing happened - obviously the dealer should be made aware of the gross error/laziness of the tire guy but beyond that there's nothing.
Not going to start an argument with you on an internet message board. There is clear negligence here and lack of safety procedures to prevent this from happening again. Does someone have to die before they put safety measures in place? If this affected you or your family I am sure you would feel differently.

Reactions: waffles and Gator1

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not going to start an argument with you on an internet message board. There is clear negligence here and lack of safety procedures to prevent this from happening again. Does someone have to die before they put safety measures in place? If this affected you or your family I am sure you would feel differently.
You sue someone if you have damages. No damages in this case. No case here.

You alert proper oversight entities if you perceive there was negligence but no damages (ar usa, dealer gm and owners, ftc, bbb, local news, etc)

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is a one-off and I understand the concern - I can easily count the number of times something on one of my vehicles was not serviced correctly. People mess up - let the dealer know and move on. This is not a systemic problem for the brand as Maxx2 implies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mistakes that can cost someone their life are not acceptable. Ever. Hiring kids off the street bc they can pay them s..t for money and no training is pretty much the norm. Yes i had crappy service done on my cars before but never had a wheel come off. It just hasnt been a good start, first was the overinflated tires over 60 psi (good thing i noticed that when i got home after buying the car) and i dont live close to the dealer. After that was the tail light and now the wheel falling off

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
GET ALL YOUR LUG NUTS CHECKED.

MORE IMPORTANT THAN BLAME IS TO MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN WITH ANOTHER WHEEL LATER!!!!! Guy ufked up one wheel he probably ufked up the others. Better be sure at least.

Sorry for the caps, but that is very important. More so than anything else. The dealer must also be notified so they can take appropriate action with the tech. You are right is isn't acceptable, if they dont know it happened they can't take action.

When I ran auto repair this happened, not often, but it happened. Maybe 5 times in a decade. Every time I was notified of it, the tech was sent - without pay - to the customer's home to properly torque every lug nut on the car and apologize in person. It didn't happen twice with the same tech.

Wouldn't expect that from a dealer. However they should make sure the rest are ok.

As far as sueing. No damage, no case. Had one guy not call me when this happened. Instead he went to another shop who told him he needed a ton of work, besides the loose lug nuts. The loose lugs supossedly damaged his control arms and most of his suspension. He had them do the work then sued me to pay thier bill, since it was supossedly due to my shop's negligence.

I won. Guy should've just called and delt with the problem instead of creating a new ones. Loose lugs don't damage control arms. And one missing lug with 4 loose ones isn't an immediate threat to life and limb. It is scary-as-sh#! and shouldnt happen though. Ever. To anyone.

Get all your lugs checked for safety and peace of mind. If the dealer doesn't seem to take the issue very seriously...go to another place. Otherwise, enjoy your life and hopefully your car.

If it makes you feel better I really do get your issues. After I left the family auto shop, my Brother-in-law took over. A tech did the exact same thing to my wife's car, and he ignored it, wouldn't send the guy to my house. Told me I have the tools and knowledge. Mistakes happen.

He's "family" so we talk.....but I really ufking hate that asswipe. Since he's Daddy-in-law's(the owner) best buddy he still has the place, will till he dies. He also does 20% of the volume I did, before COVID. Right now he cant pay anyone but himself..sometimes. Ultra-conservative family is having to ask for government aid to pay "rent" to thier father-in-law/daddy.

So sadly..Maxx2 is partially right. If Alfa cant get these dealers in line and servicing customers correctly it is going to effect sales and already does. Long-term it will kill the brand again. Just like not prioritizing the customer kills 50 year-old family businesses founded 3 generations ago. Saying that bring me 0 joy and lots of sadness. Still true.

The tailight = one-off defect.

Lug nuts = on-off ufk up.

Tires out of balance and overinflated = WTF dealer??? And Alfa. The tire issue has gone on way too long, Alfa needs to get the dealers in-line with tire pressure. GUARANTEED, 110% OF YOUR MONEY BACK, GUARANTEED....tire pressure too high costs Alfa Romeo at least 1000 sales a year. Considering the current sales volume THAT should be unacceptable.

Gotta prioritize the customer experiance on the test drive (and during service), must. Absolute must. Alfa is hurting themselves....as I have said before alot of this was under the job of a guy who wasn't doing his job, instead he was essentially holding FCA hostage to negotiate a severance/retirment package. That has been done, hopefully his replacment will deal with these issues.

Cause Alfa Romeo makes the best driving car on the market, and the Gulia/Stelvio AND thier owners deserve it.

It really isn't Alfa fault this happened to you, and the issues are exceptional rather than normal, so try not to hate the car.

Still..Alfa really does need to get thier customer service in line. All manufactuers have bad dealers for sure, however things like overinflated tires don't happen like they do here...

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Base
24 Posts
I agree this should not have happened at any service department--highline or mainline. That said, unless convinced otherwise, I doubt Alfa service procedures on wheel torque is any different than competing brands. Call service advisor and see where it goes from there. From my interaction with my advisor, I can't see anything less than an apology and willingness to make things right every way they can.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio QV w/ Sparco seats 💺
76 Posts
A few free oil changes...
I’d be full fledge angry black man mode and would get free oil changes for life lol

To the OP, I’m sorry that your experience thus far has been pitiful, BUT give the vehicle a chance and try not to let the dealerships poor service ruin your ownership experience!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is angry Black man mode more effective than angry Asian man mode? LOL

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well we "all" should be angry with the state of the Country of late.

I went there...

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio QV w/ Sparco seats 💺
76 Posts
Noooooooo!!! This forum is supposed to be a safe place from the chaos that is 2020 lol I see enough race war propaganda every time I turn on the TV smh

I have seen angry Asian woman mode (via my partner) and it was pretty dam effective 😂 I just think I strike more fear in their hearts than anything

·
Registered
217 Posts
I meant the lack of sports of course. ;)

Reactions: dwroman55

·
Registered
25 Posts
Back to Alfa delivery issues...I had the over filled engine oil and over inflated tire issues upon delivery last month as well. Simply no excuse for something so trivial to double check prior to retail delivery.

My dealer admitted their error and made amends but surprisingly Alfa Cares itself reached out to me, on their own, through this forum and made further amends. That was totally unexpected and truly did offset that negative aspect...at least it did in my case.

I've posted previously about my ordering ordeal so I won't duplicate that story here other than to say that in my opinion Alfa needs to treat their retail consumers like the boutique customers for the brand that they aspire to be in the US.

My interactions with Alfa Cares shows me that they may be on the right path...but they still have a long way to go...as do some of their dealers.

As always, ymmv....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts