Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Depends on the tires you had on the M6 ...
These don't get next to useless like corsas in cool weather, but the drop in adhesion is quite noticeable.
I've never had the summers on snow or ice, but I doubt any ultra hp summers are any good for that. Do-able is another story, and depending on how many days you might have to walk on eggs ...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
R is better for turning a 2 hour journey into 3 hours, taking the back road long route.
Chart aside, a lot of discussion etc years ago on the giulia forum regarding cylinder deactivation. It only happens under specific conditions, and if it happens in N I have never noticed it - but maybe I never meet the conditions. What is obvious though is at a cruise the transmission selects a higher gear in N than D, and D than R.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
"Deactivation happens"
Can't recall anything/anyone suggesting it occurs in D mode.
"Cruise control " until 120 km/ph? Ok. I dont use CC, but I would expect most who do use it above that speed for actual cruising, not below where its just a step closer to self driving, which isn't what an Alfa is for.
I do think that if fuel consumption is a concern, then the 4 cyl is a better choice. The reason for purchasing a quad is the opposite of economy, so its a waste of big bucks right off the lot, and every time its serviced as well. Why buy a more powerful car for economy/economy driving style?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Did some re-reading on the deactivation - and yes, there are posts saying it can occur in D, and others saying it doesn't. Then there's the conditions required and indications that you won't notice if it does kick in.
I'll say I've never noticed if it has, but I have not done OBD monitoring, which gave different answers, to the above posters.
As far as choice of cars, that is yours, for whatever reason (government carrot/stick aside), but to me the quad wouldn't be worthwhile if costs (initial, maintenance, and the least of all, fuel) were an issue, or a supple ride for cruise type driving.
But you sure don't have to justify to me why you want or have one.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
"How much do you drive yearly"
No where near as much as you, not that it matters. Still, it sounds like for the bulk of your driving the more fuel efficient and gentler ride of the 4 would be preferable. But if your occasional autobahn use is at speeds beyond what the 4 is comfortable at (you won't get deactivation then), great. And if you just like the sound thats fine too. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion, which isn't even worth that - if we are counting pennies haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts