Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
498 Posts
@Apocryph congratulations on the new toy, great writing, just one correction. A is the Eco-mode and cylinder deactivation happens in this mode only, not in N.

Paddles being on the way to the signal and wiper stalks is a matter of getting used to it...as so are the extra grabby brakes, it is very hard to come to a completely smooth stop, haven't been able to master that in 20k miles of ownership...but it is not a huge deal...adaptive cruise control does a great job at that though, I use it often on stop and go traffic.

Take it easy for the next few hundreds of miles, then enjoy!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I drive on A when I'm on the freeway for more than 10 miles and will be constant speed and road trips, IMO no need to waste fuel, I have achieved up to 30 MPG at 60 MPH and really being very conservative with the gas pedal. 28 MPG at 70 MPH is my best as well with only one passenger.

I drive on N when in town with the wife in the car. Drive on R when I'm by myself or with my 11 y/o daughter...she enjoys the broom broom. R mode when I show the car to friends and demonstrate how much it likes to understeer and how easy it is to do so! :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
...and then 'R' in Llyswen when I scare the bejeezus out of my dad in it.
Since there's no launch control, what I have found to be the most effective technique to power brake: Press hard on the brake, half way on the gas pedal to about 2,200 rpm for little over a second almost two (to let it build boost), punch the gas as you're releasing the brake.

More time than that doesn't do anything...if you start pinning tires when still braking you might even end up with a red message on the cluster due to driving while braking (if this were to happen, you need to shut the engine off and restart).

Scaring people on it is always fun, especially when it is your own family! :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
"Deactivation happens"
Can't recall anything/anyone suggesting it occurs in D mode.
"Cruise control " until 120 km/ph? Ok. I dont use CC, but I would expect most who do use it above that speed for actual cruising, not below where its just a step closer to self driving, which isn't what an Alfa is for.
I do think that if fuel consumption is a concern, then the 4 cyl is a better choice. The reason for purchasing a quad is the opposite of economy, so its a waste of big bucks right off the lot, and every time its serviced as well. Why buy a more powerful car for economy/economy driving style?
I agree with the comment on "D" mode, it doesn't happen although there are a few old forum posts that suggest Alfa advertised it in the past as happening...however, all published documentation (mainly screenshots from the mechanics manual) state it only happens on A & N modes.

I often use cruise control between 65 MPH and 70 MPH (which is below 120 km/h). My main reason is that I'm not in a rush to get to my destination, I will be driving for 30-35 miles and I don't see the point of wasting more gas than needed by driving on D or even N.

·
Registered
498 Posts
But you sure don't have to justify to me why you want or have one.
While I don't have to justify, it is always fun to share why I wanted one. I wanted to have fun in the car from time to time, from light to light or at the track...yes, any car can provide that but only a few are muscle monsters like the Stelvio QV.
I don't mind burning through fuel when I'm pushing it to the limits but I also don't want to waste it when cruising with the family, which is the reason why I use A mode only on highways.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I agree with you - it's fun to share what made us buy the cars we buy. If the same car was right for everybody, then everybody would just buy the same car.
But the final piece of the puzzle - and the main reason I got a QF and not, say, the Veloce model - is because years ago I had a 'pride and joy' motor that I had to sell due to greater needs. I was gutted about selling it, and I've missed it ever since. But now years later I'm in a position where I can once again have something truly nice.

And this is it. This is my pride and joy. That's not something I can rationalise or justify, but eh, we're all Alfa owners here - you understand.
Similar to you, I too had a car that was a pride and joy, missed the muscle car-destroyer ability of the family car, a 1999 Benz E55. Using my 50th b-day as an excuse I got this Quadrifoglio :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts