Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sprint AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just made the decision to let my 2020 Kia Stinger GT1 RWD go for a 2022 Stelvio Q4 in Vulcano Black Metallic with all the blackout package bits and blacked out interior with the matte 19s - this thing drives so damn good. I can hit corners the Stinger couldn't do at half the speed I can take them now. Don't get me wrong, the Stinger was an amazing car (and I had JB4 Map 2 with Denso 2-step plugs, Borla exhaust, K&N Typoon intakes, carbon fiber heatshields for the intakes, swapped out the PS4 for Cup 2....), but this thing just handles night and day better.

I do miss the exhaust note, and the sound of two turbos spooling but I'm roughly 3 hours away from Madness Autoworks and I plan on stopping by their shop real soon to put a little more pep in this thing. It's not as punchy as the Stinger was, but it's so much smoother. Really liking this thing, looking forward to seeing what can be done with these engines. And yes, I know if I wanted the noise and the power, I should've went with the QV...but my bank account said otherwise lol. Stinger was a lot more car for the money, but this just feels way more refined. Thankfully the dealership paid me above KBB for the car and I was able to apply that credit towards the down payment of this Stelvio (although I still ended up with a Sprint - maybe I'll pay it down over the next 3 years then trade up to the Ti or Veloce).

Thought I'd hate the wheel nav thing, but I've grown to really like it. And my god those paddle shifters...what a fantastic feel to them when you shift. This thing has some serious potential...very excited to own one.

I take all my vehicles seriously so the night I brought it home, I got on my computer and told my boss I'm calling out tomorrow for a "personal day". Got up at 8am and started prepping the vehicle for a head-to-toe detail. Started with the the strip wash to get all the dealer garbage off of it and then worked my way into chemical and physical decontamination of the paint, followed by a 1-step paint correct to remove the dealer-installed swirls from the Scratch Tunnel 9000 they sent it through. Then into the garage for final prep before Jax Wax graphene coating all the paint, GlassParency on the windshield, a lighter ceramic glass cleaner (Ethos, not that Armor-All crap) for the rest of the glass, Car Pro Blackout ceramic on the tires, Lithium graphene trim on...well the trim, Jax Wax graphene on the rims, and then hopped inside to prep the leather and vinyl inside for a ceramic coating as well. This picture was taken 3 weeks later, after sitting outside in the driveway for 2 weeks while it rained literally every day in Houston. This thing turns more heads than the Stinger did, and it had the same coating all over it, was louder, and had that beautiful red interior - but that Snow White Pearl just does not shine up like this beautiful black flake does.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Added bonus because of my username lol -

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on a great looking car and color! These things (Stelvios in general) are a rare sight in Houston! I spent 10 days visiting with my son in Houston in June and we only saw two other Stelvios during that time. There were a few people that approached me at parking lots to find out what my QV was because they liked the looks and the engine sound but they had never even seen one! So, you definitely have something special in your town! Kudos!

I think Ragazzoni sells an exhaust for your car, put a CAI and you will hear your turbo ;)
Thanks! Agreed, they are pretty rare to see here - I think I've seen maybe 4 in the last 2 years honestly, and I live maybe 15 minutes from the Northside Imports dealership selling them. And yes, that was one of the exhaust brands I have been eye balling pretty hard. I'm thinking about the valved one because my fiancé hated/refused to ride in the Stinger with me because it was so loud lol. As for the CAI, I'm still debating on that beautiful carbon fiber one Madness Autoworks has, or just a a BMS at like 1/5th the price. They both seem to do the same thing (mostly) so not sure if the few degrees (maybe) cooler air and carbon fiber box is worth the almost $500 price difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I swore I would never own another black car, but I LOVE the Vulcano Black on the Stelvio with its green metallic flake. It was one of my top color considerations when I purchased mine. Congrats on the new ride!
Funny story, I was actually about to drive off the a white Stelvio with brown leather but then he showed me this black one and all my life I've been told "black vehicles look amazing until 20 minutes after you clean it"....still went with it haha. It is probably the best black I've ever seen - little disappointed it reminds me of the exact paint my buddy's RAM 1500 has but hey...Stellantis ¯\(ツ)/¯ lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And yes... I had a work buddy that had a 2017 Ram with what looked like the exact same paint with fleck. It was nice, but let's not tell anyone else :p
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the RAM paint looks exactly the same haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice looking Stelvio. My wife just got a Metallic Blue 2022 Ti and loves it. The Ti doesn't have the paddle shifters, which is probably better for her since she wouldn't use them anyway and would only get in the way of her using the stalks on the steering wheel column.

Now if she would only let me drive it more! I only got behind the wheel once but it sure has pep...but I'll get my kicks in a few weeks when my 2023 Corvette Stingray arrives.

We/I have never owned an Alfa before and look forward to lots of fun miles.
Thanks - yeah the Ti they tried to put me in didn't have the paddles and I was very hesitant because they definitely enhance the driving experience for sure. My wife is the same way though lol, I let her drive mine and popped it into manual for her and she started freaking out because she "didn't know when to shift or what to do" because she never learned to drive stick lol. But yeah it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive, especially in dynamic mode. Now I just need to replace these trash tires it comes with because man they suck lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bet, if you closely inspect your paint and the same color on a Ram, you find more flaws on the Ram. Probably our clear coat is better too, it's not a fair comparison because of the types of use, but seen alot more Rams with paint made ugly from scratches then Alfa's.

I off-road and have brush scrap against my paint, I do try to avoid them in general but they happen. In 4 years I have never needed to buff any scratches out, my problem is with hard water spots from rain and parking outside. Anyways, point is... The clear coat seems very durable more so then any other Stellantis product I'm familiar with.

One time .... I accidentally dropped a metal 1/4 ratchet and it smacked against the door panel as it fell. Nothing. No scratch, no dent... Nothing. (Took me a second to recover cause I expected damage the second I heard impact) Like I said, Alfa's seem to have a better then average finish in terms of durability.

My car is white, but the only colors anyone has had problems with the finish regularly is the one blue I think got discontinued. Otherwise.... We sure do seem to have a lot of 4+ year old daily driver Alfa's that look brand new. More then most brands I think, especially mainstream Stellantis brands like Ram.. should be worth something.

Even swirl marks.... Seems like no one has even complained about swirl marks.
That makes me really happy - this thing will live in the driveway as I give the garage to my wife for safety reasons when she's unloading our child. I've put all the protection I can on it minus PPF, but that's really good to hear that the paint and clear are as strong as they are. My Stinger has mega soft paint that scratched to the metal underneath the first time I went to lift the plastic windshield wipers because I didn't know about "maintenance mode" on them yet.

Reactions: ALFAOFFROAD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh yep I did it ONCE while prepping the windshield for the GlassParency on this thing, thankfully I didn't hit it against the hood....caught it a public hair before it did lol. Stopped immediately and hit up YouTube University for a quick lesson so I didn't muck it all up lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts