Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Dallas.

Ever since I got to track a Stelvio Quad last year at Circuit of Americas I was hooked. I've driven many cars (and SUV's) over the years and was blown away by this vehicle. I have a similar experience with the new Cadillac CTS-V on the track but didn't want to drive a large, bulky sedan that loves gas! I was hesitant to buy an Alfa then as they were $85k+ and still new to market. All I would ever hear is how bad Alfa's were when it comes to reliability.

So last month, Alfa discounted the remaining Quads on dealer lots around the country to make room for 2019's. So, we were able to snag a new Monte Carlo Blue Quad for $25k off MSRP, $61k. I had to buy one at that price point.

I have been an M guy (BMW) for the last several years and excited for the new adventure. We still own a BMW M4 Convertible and its still crazy to think the Stelvio can walk laps around our M.

I have Madness Lowering Springs ordered and the Forza exhaust bypass that will be installed this in the coming weeks. Also the Carbon V and Carbon mirror caps. That is all I have planned for this bad boy.

I noticed the coolant level was VERY low when were took it off the delivery truck. Says the recall already happened but worry I may already have to take it to the shop

·
Registered
38 Posts
Howdy John i just bought my slightly used 2018 SQ from Essence Maserati this past weekend. Love it so far. I live in H-town however.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howdy John i just bought my slightly used 2018 SQ from Essence Maserati this past weekend. Love it so far. I live in H-town however.
Did you buy the white one? I looked at the white and black 18's they had that were demos with 3-4k miles on them and almost pulled the trigger but found one in KY with 480 miles for less $$. That white one was nice with the green stitching!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, who did you go through? Essence or Fort Worth?
I bought it out of KY, Jake Sweeny Alfa. It was their last 18 and they needed to make room for 19's that were coming in and Alfa allowed the large discount to move it. Lucky me.:grin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PICS - new springs installed

So I just got my MADNESS springs put on the car. I went with the 60mm option (2.5in). I love the look, my wife thinks it looks like a wagon now. Ha.
I also bought the Athena Spacers from MADNESS. 17mm in front and 20mm in back.
The rear wheels have a slight negative stance to them. Worry about tire wear but what can you do. They did an alignment and it all checked out.

Here are the photos (before and afters) of the suspension modification.
First FOUR photos are before, stock setup.
Next FOUR are after the 60mm springs and spacers installed.

I am installing my Forza Exhaust controller Thursday and then the Carbon V and Carbon mirrors caps as soon as they arrive. That will be that.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you buy the white one? I looked at the white and black 18's they had that were demos with 3-4k miles on them and almost pulled the trigger but found one in KY with 480 miles for less $$. That white one was nice with the green stitching!
No, i got the Black 2018 with less than 3K miles. Loving it so far. I want to drive it for awhile before dropping it with new springs so i can appreciate the change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey John,

Your car looks great! Would love to see more pictures of the car with the spacers- it's exactly the set up I am thinking of doing when I get my Stelvio.

Wondering how you are liking your drop after a few miles and whether or not the springs have settled at all? Also any concern about the shock life with such a large drop? Also how tire wear is affected by the camber you're getting.

Sounds like the Madness springs are almost an inch more than the H&R springs which is perfect for the Alfa wagon look I'm going for

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey John,

Your car looks great! Would love to see more pictures of the car with the spacers- it's exactly the set up I am thinking of doing when I get my Stelvio.

Wondering how you are liking your drop after a few miles and whether or not the springs have settled at all? Also any concern about the shock life with such a large drop? Also how tire wear is affected by the camber you're getting.

Sounds like the Madness springs are almost an inch more than the H&R springs which is perfect for the Alfa wagon look I'm going for

I have enjoyed working with Madness. That said, I am going to return the spacers. I think for daily use, the 20mm in the rear is just too wide. Just goofy looking after seeing them on for a week. I think if you really want spacers, do 15mm on all four wheels. I had 17 front and 20 rear. If I were to re-order, I would go 15mm all four wheels

Unfortunately, I do not have more photos bc I removed the spacers. Also, for the drop, I would go with the 50mm, not the 60mm drop. I think 60mm is just a little too aggressive. No rubbing, just a little too aggressive. Sure the tire wear will be more so due to the negative stance but that just means I need to rotate the tires more often.

Hope this helps. At the end of the day, it is personal preference

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey John,

I have enjoyed working with Madness. That said, I am going to return the spacers. I think for daily use, the 20mm in the rear is just too wide. Just goofy looking after seeing them on for a week. I think if you really want spacers, do 15mm on all four wheels. I had 17 front and 20 rear. If I were to re-order, I would go 15mm all four wheels

Unfortunately, I do not have more photos bc I removed the spacers. Also, for the drop, I would go with the 50mm, not the 60mm drop. I think 60mm is just a little too aggressive. No rubbing, just a little too aggressive. Sure the tire wear will be more so due to the negative stance but that just means I need to rotate the tires more often.

Hope this helps. At the end of the day, it is personal preference
This definitely helps a lot. I love the look of your car in the pictures but can understand how all of it together would be too aggressive.

I was unsure if the 50mm springs were available from Madness for the QV or just the 60mm? Was 50mm an option for your QV?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This definitely helps a lot. I love the look of your car in the pictures but can understand how all of it together would be too aggressive.

I was unsure if the 50mm springs were available from Madness for the QV or just the 60mm? Was 50mm an option for your QV?
Right right, just the 60mm on the Quad. I know H&R has 1.6 drop and lots of people like that.
So, being a fellow wagon guy myself (have owned several) I suggest doing the 60mm drop with 15mm or 17mm on all four corners. 20mm was just too wide. (this is assuming you are going to stay with OEM wheels/tires).

Congrats on the quad. Love that vehicle. It is awesome. It walks all over our M4. :grin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts