Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the 3rd Quarter FCA Financial conference call, it looks like the AR Stelvio and Gulia will be the only models to use the Giorgio platform. They have written the remaining investment value off the books.

Quote from Investor Conference Call :

"The adjusted net profit excludes the impairment charge mentioned earlier of EUR 1.4 billion pretax. This noncash impairment charge relates to the changes Mike mentioned regarding our product plan going forward leading to rationalize European plan, which will focus on our certain vehicle platforms to facilitate electrification and portfolio renewal, while maximizing investment efficiency and part commonality. The charges relate mainly to the Alfa Giorgio platform for EUR 800 million and the A-segment mini platform in Europe for EUR 400 million."

So to enjoy this excellent platform going forward and all the $'s invested to create it, you will only be able to buy 2 models from Alfa Romeo. Could this be the last major investment in a rear drive gas powered platform (from any manufacturer) ? From this point on will all the manufacturers just fine tune their "legacy" gas offerings as they send all their cash into electrics ? Is this a historic moment, and a future historic platform ?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I read that not as "no new Giorgio platform models" and more as no new gas powered ones. Not really sure how the accounting works but what I understood was the write down is due to moving away from ICE and toward full electrification with a large portion of it also due to the cancellation of products currently in development like the GTV (cancel the product = write off all development costs incurred to that point)

The next Cherokee will definitely use the Giorgio platform for instance..and I believe the next Levante and other Maserati's will also as it is set up for electrification. Manley also said on the call, the Giorgio should stay around.

However..yeah does seem crumby there doesn't look to be new Alfa's coming on the platform in the near future.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks like I should be getting a Quad now then as I was waiting for a new GTV6 😐

1 - 4 of 4 Posts