Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped and the engine stopped. Seeing an obstacle ahead I turned the steering wheel and lifted the brake pedal at the same time. The steering wheel wouldn't turn. I had time to realize the Power Steering was off before it came on. I did a few tests. Does this every time. There is no steering servo action until after the car is going forward. The engine is fully running and the car moving before the steering turns on. This unnerving detail would make some sense if the steering was run by an old school belt driven hydraulic pump, but the steering is electric. It could be on but it is not. I'd like better it if a yank on the steering wheel started the engine, but it does not.

Premium Member
I stopped and the engine stopped. Seeing an obstacle ahead I turned the steering wheel and lifted the brake pedal at the same time. The steering wheel wouldn't turn. I had time to realize the Power Steering was off before it came on. I did a few tests. Does this every time. There is no steering servo action until after the car is going forward. The engine is fully running and the car moving before the steering turns on. This unnerving detail would make some sense if the steering was run by an old school belt driven hydraulic pump, but the steering is electric. It could be on but it is not. I'd like better it if a yank on the steering wheel started the engine, but it does not.
I've experienced this as well. Much of the electrical system shuts down briefly during the start stop function. If your wipers are in mid wipe and the engine re-starts, the wipers will actually stop in the middle of the windshield for ~1 second while the engine starts. The 12v socket(s) also power off momentarily. Annoying if you charge your phone from the 12v instead of the USB (faster that way) and are streaming music from you phone to hear the charging start sound.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the wipers stop during Stop/Start crank. Not a big problem itself, but agree too many things are shut off during crank. The electric steering is off the entire time the engine is off. Just try to turn the steering wheel when the engine is Stopped. I'm okay with the idea of shutting it off, but it should wake up faster, and wake by turning the wheel, even if that means the engine has to be started.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts