Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached was the final offer I got for a Stelvio. However after running my credit they bumped me up to $560 p/month with $1500 out of pocket and a check for $11,000 for my 2011 lexus Rx 350. After the dealer told me the price I walked and today is the last day of the month so I guess thats it for now.

Question is I really want the car it was white w/red leather and had the options I wanted. I did a search of dealers within traveling distance and I can't seem to find what I want.

So now I'm figuring what move to make next? Should I hire a broker? Try to negotiate with June incentives coming out?

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Attached was the final offer I got for a Stelvio. However after running my credit they bumped me up to $560 p/month with $1500 out of pocket and a check for $11,000 for my 2011 lexus Rx 350. After the dealer told me the price I walked and today is the last day of the month so I guess thats it for now.

Question is I really want the car it was white w/red leather and had the options I wanted. I did a search of dealers within traveling distance and I can't seem to find what I want.

So now I'm figuring what move to make next? Should I hire a broker? Try to negotiate with June incentives coming out?
I'm going to make a big assumption here but you said they increased the payment after they ran your credit, so I can only assume your credit is low and you won't qualify for the low interest rates/money factors. If that's the case then I doubt going to a different dealer or through a broker will change it as they will all run your credit. So, you need to work on increasing your credit score.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Looks like a 24 month based on Ally and the interest rate. With my near perfect credit they offered me .13% so you must be in the high 600 or low 700 range at .15%.

The rate you were offered was fine. The amount of cash they are asking for is not. I walked out the door with sales tax and my first payment on a $48k sale price for $1600 with a monthly of $660 for 15k/36months.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you're correct my credit is around 650 now and I just started working with a repair company last month since my divorce. The dealer said his rate went to 2% which accounted for the additional increase. I'm hoping that there are some new June incentives that could reduce it more and get the price to what was agreed to.

I really hate to go elsewhere at this point since they'll have to do a credit inquiry again. Should I reach out again or let them come to me. I just feel like they don't care to sell a car anymore and surprised because the model i'm looking at looks like they took delivery 11/17 at the dealer

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you want a Stelvio your best bet is to try again with June offers. Ally sets their rates every other month so your rate should be the same.

I’d consider maybe talking numbers with a different dealer. Alfa is a luxury marque, you should be able to have a fairly frank sit down about numbers with the sales manager. You shouldn’t have to play games on pricing. Alfa corporate gets real pissy about dealers doing that supposedly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I was dealing directly with the general manager and he seemed frank about everything since the dealer is local to me and he would want me to service the car there. I just sent a follow up email explaining a few things. I'll wait and see what kind of feedback. As mentioned maybe this is a true offer if you're saying corporate doesn't like to play games.

The unfortunate thing is finding the color combo that I want now within my driving distance

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Bring your car to CarMax to trade in!! I've heard nothing but good things about this pathway. See how that goes. Then you can do as you wish on the purchase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
carmax

Plan on going there next weekend to see what they say. Getting kinda annoyed I left a message with the dealer 6/1 asking about any new incentives that might work in my favor to bring the price back down to what we agreed on and if so I'll make a move. Still haven't received an acknowledgement. This went the same for the Jaguar F pace I was looking at as well. Is it just me or people don't want to sell cars anymore!!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Remember, you can often just look on the website to see the new offers. Crazy, but often the website posts before the dealers even know!!

I was a Jaguar guy, had 3, but the F Pace as a driver's car doesn't hold a candle to a Stelvio . Its actually embarassing that they have like 380 HP and barely keep up and forget the twisties etc For me, XJ's stood out and were perceived as a click above the german stuff. They were far more breathtaking to look at be it my 1998 XJ (Dino saw that when I sold my 164), my 2004 XJ short wheel base VDP, or my 2012 XK than anything else out there. Some argue E Type V Xk..........both gave Aston a Major run the the visual money. Finally unless i see one at night because I now recognize the tail lights, F Pace's just blend in. That Alfa front grill and that low slung rear hatch are unmistakeable!! The weird thing is I REALLY LOVED MY JAGUARS, but my enthusiasm for this new Alfa is right up there with my Lotus cars!!! Those Italians have that amore thing figured out a nd Jag has lost that yea baby feel they used to have.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
330 Posts
I remember that 1998 XJ

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it just me or people don't want to sell cars anymore!!!
Not just you! I ended up buying nothing this past week in spite of every intent to do so. I thought I'd been pretty clear with the AR salesman that I needed to see the specific lease figures by a certain date, which came and went. I sent a follow up email that got an immediate response of "we'll get back to you ASAP" and then a day later, still nothing. So I told them to forget it.

I suspect it is nothing more than the classic game that many car dealers play. They think you want the car so badly that they can abuse the relationship to their advantage.

I've also found that many car salesmen have only one style of selling and are unable to adjust their approach to different customers. Yes, they may be successful with their one-size-fits-all approach, but just imagine how much more successful they'd be if they could make the needed adjustments.

In my case, I have a car I like that is in good shape and have no pressing need to replace it at any particular moment. I also tell people up front what I'm looking for in terms of info and timing. It's their loss if they choose to not listen.

I MAY give the Stelvio thing another run this fall, but we'll see how I feel about things at that point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad i'm not the only one running into this problem with the dealers.

I'm in a no pressure situation as well the lexus that I wanted a check back for is still a strong vehicle, very clean, and fits our needs.

So I guess I'm gonna sit this one out until I see something else come along or I hear from the dealer. I'm just trying to put aside my wants vs needs for now!

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So, both of you, the obvious question is if you're not in a hurry what is the urgency? Negotiating pressure? Just curious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, both of you, the obvious question is if you're not in a hurry what is the urgency? Negotiating pressure? Just curious.
Pretty simple for me. A couple of basic points.

1. Getting a car involves a lot of money.
2. However, it is not the only thing in life that involves money. Other obligations, opportunities, and deadlines can make things a bit of a juggling act.
3. So, when the salesman missed the deadline, money went a different direction, which closed the window for him.
4. Unfortunately, the stereotype for the car salesman and the many tricks involved is true at far too many dealerships. I try hard to be up front about my side of the bargain. The salesman is free to ignore it or attempt to manipulate at their own peril.
5. In this case, I had no practical need for a new car. It takes a lot less for a salesman or other circumstances to screw up a deal in that situation.

Maybe I'm a difficult customer, but I like to think I'm clear and honest about my side of the process.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting points about the sales people you encountered. I started out looking at a Giulia, test drove it and really liked it, but wanted to test drive the Stelvio before deciding. This was when they had the 'hold' on sale of the Stelvios, so they would not let me drive one until that was lifted. We did talk about discounts though, and I was told the discount they would give me if I decided to buy. When I went back two weeks later and decided to buy, suddenly the dealer discount wasn't available. I walked out, and ultimately did find a great dealer to work with, and they gave me the discount the first dealer had initially offered.

My point is is that you shouldn't give up but try another dealer that may be more to your liking.

Ray

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty simple for me. A couple of basic points.

1. Getting a car involves a lot of money.
2. However, it is not the only thing in life that involves money. Other obligations, opportunities, and deadlines can make things a bit of a juggling act.
3. So, when the salesman missed the deadline, money went a different direction, which closed the window for him.
4. Unfortunately, the stereotype for the car salesman and the many tricks involved is true at far too many dealerships. I try hard to be up front about my side of the bargain. The salesman is free to ignore it or attempt to manipulate at their own peril.
5. In this case, I had no practical need for a new car. It takes a lot less for a salesman or other circumstances to screw up a deal in that situation.

Maybe I'm a difficult customer, but I like to think I'm clear and honest about my side of the process.
Misstl couldn't have said it any better!! Agreed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts