Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was going to work today, a work van rear ended me.
I'm OK, the other driver as well.
I'm just wondering if my car is fixable, or it is totaled.
It doesn't seem to bad, but I'm not sure what the bumper hides.
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Q4, Tricolor White,
83 Posts
Its just a flesh wound. Probably cost $4K to $5K to repair and it will take 3 month to get the parts to fix it. (Our hail damaged Stelvio is up to $15K to repair, because 80% of the car has to be repainted.)

Is that trunk lid damage I see? If yes, make that $5K to $7K to repair.

· Registered
6,385 Posts
Ouch, so sorry! Hope everyone is ok.

Would guess whether it is totalled or repaired has to do with how long you'll need a rental car for. If it's 6 months, they may total it. If you are ok with driving while waiting for parts probably repair.

My only hesitation would be the hatch.... I would want a new one, not that one repaired. Which will depend on the body shop, find the one that works on Ferrari's in your area.

· Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
912 Posts
This AM at about 6, I had a car turn left immediately in front of me, and had to jam on the brakes, it was following another car that turned left in front of me, (that car had plenty of room) the second car just saw light was green, so it went after that first one. I missed it by about 4-6 feet. I turned around to see what that light was like, and it was a solid green, (with a small sign that says to yield when turning left, but that sign is not lit at night, so you only see a green light, of course a "normal" driver would know without a green arrow, you have to yield, but this guy almost took me out. Sorry about your bumper.

· Registered
6,385 Posts
I drove out to Johnson Valley just now, two lane highway, no divider, mostly straight, middle of nowhere. People do triple digits like its nothing, except for the big rigs and people with RVs who do 40mph.

I just saw someone in a Lincoln Corsair try to pass a semi and maybe 6 cars behind it in one pass. He didn't make it, drove off the road into the desert to avoid oncoming traffic. (Entire thing was avoidable, he could have slammed the brakes and jerked back behind the semi too, guy had to be on something.)

.... There are worse ways to start the week. Were a lot of people who stopped and I am not a rubber necker and was at least 8 cars behind where he pulled out when it happened.... But it looked really bad, hitting deep sand at 100 in an SUV is ugly.

Be safe out there people.

· Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At least I did not lose it, I had a second to check the carpool lane if it is clear by me, and used that lane, and this way I have avoided the other car in front of me.
Also, I have noticed that so many people are driving with high beams on. Why, they don't know what those are used for? Or they just don't care, they want to see better.

· Registered
6,385 Posts
I noticed more high beams lately too.... Who knows why.

Hate to say this but ..... People who know how to not overreact in an emergency while driving . ...... Might drive Alfa's, probably don't drive Lincoln's.

.... No idea what that person was thinking trying something like that in a Lincoln. Isn't about power .. it's about control at speed.

· Registered
1,488 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
I noticed more high beams lately too.... Who knows why.

Hate to say this but ..... People who know how to not overreact in an emergency while driving . ...... Might drive Alfa's, probably don't drive Lincoln's.

.... No idea what that person was thinking trying something like that in a Lincoln. Isn't about power .. it's about control at speed.
Maybe it's the high intensity headlights they are using these days. I often get flashed at night in my Alfa. I drive in a mostly urban/suburban environment and I can state unequivocally I'm not using the high beams. Last year, at oil change, I had dealer check headlight beam alignment and they were fine.

· Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Q4, Tricolor White,
83 Posts
Maybe it's the high intensity headlights they are using these days. I often get flashed at night in my Alfa. I drive in a mostly urban/suburban environment and I can state unequivocally I'm not using the high beams. Last year, at oil change, I had dealer check headlight beam alignment and they were fine.
Here in Moan-tana a high percentage of pick-ups are running high intensity "Legal" low beams. I almost hate night driving these days due to this problem. I get my retinas fried at night by at least 3 out of 10 oncoming cars. No close calls for me crashing due to the bright lights, but have had a couple times on corners where I had to brake because I couldn't see the road for a few seconds after the oncoming car/pickup passed. OTOH, these bright lights do let one see deer/ other large animals on the side of the road better, so putting in HID lights is encouraged here.

· Registered
6,385 Posts
People wouldn't have to put in HID light if manufactuers would stop with the bs marketing that LEDs are just as bright.

Wouldn't doubt if part of the issue with people driving with brights on.. is due to LED headlights.

They don't penetrate as far, don't illuminate reflections on road sign, don't allow a person to spot animals and other things that might jump in front of a moving car at night (like drunks trying to run across a four lane highway at night with no street lights).

What they are is cheaper to buy and install while allowing more flexibility with design. They aren't brighter.... Are less effective outside of a city. Anywhere that isn't covered in street lights where a driver can't see anything outside of the headlight beam.... People feel like they need to put their brights on. Just my opinion. LEDs are trash outside of a city.

· Registered
EV6 GT (est. Delivery Jan 30,2023).
1,338 Posts
People wouldn't have to put in HID light if manufactuers would stop with the bs marketing that LEDs are just as bright.

Wouldn't doubt if part of the issue with people driving with brights on.. is due to LED headlights.

They don't penetrate as far, don't illuminate reflections on road sign, don't allow a person to spot animals and other things that might jump in front of a moving car at night (like drunks trying to run across a four lane highway at night with no street lights).

What they are is cheaper to buy and install while allowing more flexibility with design. They aren't brighter.... Are less effective outside of a city. Anywhere that isn't covered in street lights where a driver can't see anything outside of the headlight beam.... People feel like they need to put their brights on. Just my opinion. LEDs are trash outside of a city.
HID typically has an advantage in CRI, but LED's are the move forward with things like Volvo's "Pixel" technology, etc. You just cannot do that with HID. For raw "throw" down a straight away, it's a wash between LED and HID based on the IIHS comparisons I've seen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts