Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with a dealer technician who told me how to reset the oil change interval without necessarily going to an Alfa dealer.

He said to press the start button twice without turning on the engine, then stomping on the brake pedal three times.

Does this make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just spoke with a dealer technician who told me how to reset the oil change interval without necessarily going to an Alfa dealer.

He said to press the start button twice without turning on the engine, then stomping on the brake pedal three times.

Does this make sense to anyone?
No, none at all.....

From service manual giullia, and I assume stelvio is same:

Oil Change Indicator - Reset
•To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
•Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, six times within 10 seconds.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. If the above process fails to complete, use the scan tool to complete the reset process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems possible, there are several methods ive seen listed. Ill try it out later tonight when i change the oil in mine as it seems the easiest. My F150 just needs you to hit a button that says reset. (what a concept!) Since my dealer went belly up two months after buying the Stelvio and the nearest one is 100 or so miles away im hopeful it will reset without their assistance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No, none at all.....

•To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. If the above process fails to complete, use the scan tool to complete the reset process.

That is similar procedure to what I do for our Dodge Durango except you push the gas pedal 3 times. (common on many or most FCA products) Sometimes needs to be done more then once. For the Alfa this has been discussed on another thread, and I believe, to no clear solution.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No, none at all.....

NOTE:

Did not work for me. Anyone get this to work?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did not work for me. Anyone get this to work?
I've read about at least 2 people where it worked (2nd try) ;)
You need to press the accelerator pedal right to the floor ....

Think it only resets the time-based reminder though, not the miles/km's based one....

I just use MultiEcuScan myself ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I tried it many times this morning with no luck.

My MES should be here next week.
MES is the easy way :)

Guess the manual reset could be different between giulia and stelvio, but that would be surprising.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
What is a MES ?
MES is the 3rd party OBD tool, used to communicate with the car via the OBD port. Can be used to read and reset errors, set certain parameters, graph parameters etc. It's an alternative for the dealer tool Witech2.

MES stands for MultiEcuScanner
see https://www.multiecuscan.net/

Later cars have a SGW (Security GateWay) that blocks write access on the OBD port though. However, SGW bypass modules are available ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I finally got my 2018 to reset, but only the oil not the maintenance indicator which I couldnt do with my particular scan tool, guess i need to upgrade.

To reset the oil I tried the above methods multiple times with no luck. I found a proceedure on the 4C forum and that actually worked for me.

I posted here someplace....anyway here it is for anyone that it may help.

close the door, push start button without pressing the brake, wait till the dash lights up and stabilizes, push the throttle to the floor and hold it there. Then you push the brake down hold for 1 seconds, let off the brake for 1 seconds, and repeat until you do it 6 times. Then start the car.(let off the throttle before starting) It wont tell you it reset. the light just goes away. I ended up doing 2 seconds on the brake two seconds off, as i tried 5 times prior before it worked.

I dont know if this will work on anything but a 2018 stelvio ti as it seems they like to mix and match to keep you going to the dealer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just to add to the "knowledge" base, this is what happened to me. January 2018 purchase, May 2017 build. Took the no additional charge 1st year oil change in December 2018/January 2019 based on time and not mileage--didn't drive much 2018. Mid September 2019, computer based "change oil" warning light came on. Checked infotainment system showing oil level full. Infotainment system showed 2000 plus miles or 190 days plus or minus before routine (20,000 mile) oil change. I don't do car stuff myself and the step on the peddle technique, didn't want to try. Went to dealer who said I could wait based on the infotainment info. So there are 2 oil warning systems that are not coordinated and both need to be reset after an oil change. At my first year/10,000 service, only the infotainment system was reset. (Not really sure where the other one is based.) I said since I was here, go for the oil change. Bought the 10,000 mile service ($250) rather than the 20,000 mile service which includes non-oil related filter changes (air). Service said that was all I needed given my driving pattern. The 20.000 mile service was about $550.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Does the car have to be driven before (engine warm) before you go through the steps or it can be done cold first thing in the morning?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Stelvio's oil change alert came on last week at around 4k. Since the oil change is not due until 10k I was able to use the instructions here to turn it off. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are must have some voodoo magic! We tried and tried to reset the oil warning and couldn’t do it. We also havea scan tool and that didn’t work either and we were told by the dealer that Alfa Romeo did not release the oil change data to the third-party scan tool companies because they want you to come to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Behold the logic of a service interval reset button in the menu! Don't these corporate idiots realize that for MANY of us, this just pisses us off even to NOT come back to the dealership? Even on my BMW's there was a protocol to follow that actually worked.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
AGAIN, WE NEED A HOW TO SECTION FOR THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION. They can give us a newfangled, ???forum but can't do this. BTW only forum I use that does not have a how to sectio9n. Moderators, can we please add this!!!!?????

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok so I finally got my 2018 to reset, but only the oil not the maintenance indicator which I couldnt do with my particular scan tool, guess i need to upgrade.

To reset the oil I tried the above methods multiple times with no luck. I found a proceedure on the 4C forum and that actually worked for me.

I posted here someplace....anyway here it is for anyone that it may help.

close the door, push start button without pressing the brake, wait till the dash lights up and stabilizes, push the throttle to the floor and hold it there. Then you push the brake down hold for 1 seconds, let off the brake for 1 seconds, and repeat until you do it 6 times. Then start the car.(let off the throttle before starting) It wont tell you it reset. the light just goes away. I ended up doing 2 seconds on the brake two seconds off, as i tried 5 times prior before it worked.

I dont know if this will work on anything but a 2018 stelvio ti as it seems they like to mix and match to keep you going to the dealer.
Just tried this on my 2018 Ti Sport. Tried it a couple of times but the oil change and maintenance expired warnings are still on.

Do you have to lock the car first before you go in? I always leave my car unlocked in my garage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts