Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Stelvio has 3500 miles on it and the oil change required light came on I took it to the Alfa ROMEO dealership , I was told the manufacture date is conflicting with the amount of mileage meaning my car was manufactured are year ago and thinks It needs to be changed I really don’t know what to do because they tell me they cannot reset the light can anyone advise me on what to do

·
Registered
41 Posts
What reason does the dealer give that the light cannot be reset? Surely they're physically able to do it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My 2018 Stelvio has 3500 miles on it and the oil change required light came on I took it to the Alfa ROMEO dealership , I was told the manufacture date is conflicting with the amount of mileage meaning my car was manufactured are year ago and thinks It needs to be changed I really don’t know what to do because they tell me they cannot reset the light can anyone advise me on what to do
contact AR customer service and tell them the dealer doesn't know how to fix the most simple thing on the car they sold me!

The lack of training at these places is just amazing.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wait, wait....

so your car was manufactured a year ago and has been sitting on the lot being driven VERY rarely since then till you bought it, or you have had it for a period of time and just don't drive a whole lot...either way,

The date is not conflicting with the mileage. Both things count, it is an "or" situation, ie: mileage over a certain limit (about 10k) OR over a certain time period (a year).

If the oil has been in your engine for a year it needs to be changed according to Alfa Romeo.

Your dealer just doesn't want to do it for some reason (did you purchase it recently maybe?).

Find another dealer.

Although on a side note them not wanting to reset the light without actually changing the oil is good on them. They should have told you they will change the oil and reset the light though...

·
Registered
520 Posts
when they reset the it also resets the clock so it will not be accurate for when next service due. At least that the way mine was. Took it in a couple months early BEFORE the light triggered, they did the service reset and calendar for next service changed to 364 days or such (it's a countdown clock)

What reason does the dealer give that the light cannot be reset? Surely they're physically able to do it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
first oil change is free tho, why would the dealer care?

Wait, wait....

so your car was manufactured a year ago and has been sitting on the lot being driven VERY rarely since then till you bought it, or you have had it for a period of time and just don't drive a whole lot...either way,

The date is not conflicting with the mileage. Both things count, it is an "or" situation, ie: mileage over a certain limit (about 10k) OR over a certain time period (a year).

If the oil has been in your engine for a year it needs to be changed according to Alfa Romeo.

Your dealer just doesn't want to do it for some reason (did you purchase it recently maybe?).

Find another dealer.

Although on a side note them not wanting to reset the light without actually changing the oil is good on them. They should have told you they will change the oil and reset the light though...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, not free here in the UK
My oil change light just came on last Thursday at 6500 miles. Supposedly down to lots of shorter journeys rather than long motorway ones. Hope this doesnt continue next year because my driving habits ain’t going to change dramatically. Booked in for service this week but it’s a bit earlier than I thought I would’ve be honest 🤔

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Nothing is free.

On another thread it was established that Alfa reimburses the dealer $80 for performing the first oil change here in the US. That will probably barely cover the cost to the dealer and is quite a bit less than what they would charge you for the same service.

As such the dealer is going to consider this 1st service as a loss, generally most business try to put off "losses" for as long as possible. IMO this dealer would rather put off doing the first service to have time for "paying" jobs.

Probably wrong, definitely making some assumptions....but that's why I said that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting that you had this problem. Mine had about 4500 miles on it, and the oil change light came on. When I checked the oil status, the level was fine. When I checked the page with the info, it said "Due in 6500 miles or 200 days". I'm guessing at the 200 but it was more than 6 months out. So it wasn't a manufacture date issue. The car was literally telling me when I was due and it wasn't close in mileage or days.

Took it in for that and a recall, and they reset it and turned it off. Said they couldn't tell me why it came on... It's off now though, and everything on the "Oil change due in" still shows the same mileage and days (well, less days now).

Sean

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well for sure these cars do not consume much oil at all......mine is already more than 3500 miles and the oil level is at the same bar location.......very different compared to a Macan......after 4500 miles I always have to add a full quarter......and by the way the oil type is the same I think.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
When you purchased it the dealer never did a proper rest of the parameters. 100% dealer error. BTW Oil rest directions in here somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting that you had this problem. Mine had about 4500 miles on it, and the oil change light came on. When I checked the oil status, the level was fine. When I checked the page with the info, it said "Due in 6500 miles or 200 days". I'm guessing at the 200 but it was more than 6 months out. So it wasn't a manufacture date issue. The car was literally telling me when I was due and it wasn't close in mileage or days.

Took it in for that and a recall, and they reset it and turned it off. Said they couldn't tell me why it came on... It's off now though, and everything on the "Oil change due in" still shows the same mileage and days (well, less days now).

Sean
This can happen because there are 2 separate resets that have to be done with an oil change. One is the one that shows days and miles to next change in infotainment and the other is the one that triggers the oil change required that is triggering here. This same thing just happened to my wife’s new stelvio with 7000 miles because it was a MY 18 that had been on the lot until April ‘19. When we picked it up the infotainment said maintenance due in “——— miles” or “——— days.” So we asked them to set that up properly. Clearly they just reset the infotainment and not the other oil indicator. Which is actually probably good, because probably has been a year since it got to the lot. We are going to go ahead and do the first “free” change soon and just make sure the reset gets done in both locations in the software.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same issue. Car was new to me, but oil life indicated 133 days left.
I reached out to my local dealer and they said to not worry about it and bring it
in at 10K miles.

I didn't like the answer. This is an 2018 Ti and the sticker on the door indicated that it
was manufactured on May of 17. I bought it August of 19....so the oil was > 2 yrs
old. I paid a local shop to change the oil and reset the counter for me.

I'll bring it back to the dealer on my 1Yr anniversary (Aug 2020) and
get that oil change gratis.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That oil was perfectly fine. Your dealer's answer was 100% correct. We grossly 'Overchange" modern oils in this country. After 25 years of research on the topic from DD's to oil testing, to track, etc I say that with confidence. If you took the car for a 100-200 mile drive and fully heated everything up, let impurities burn off, (bypass, like that happens anymore) and let the filters do their jobs, dropped the oil and tested it, you'd find that it was COMPLETELY fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts