Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
wondering what the build date of the cars that are having issues and have had the oil pump replaced
All years. All months on our platform. Similar pumps on pentastars also having issues for 10 years.

Think of them as Audi coilpacks. No exaggeration I believe Audi was on revision 12 of their coilpacks and i was still carrying 2 new ones in my trunk bag.

·
Registered
‘18 Stelvio Ti Sport fully loaded It’s a DRIVER!
281 Posts
I hear you but it would still be valuable information for me to know the month/year date for the vehicles that are having problem now.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I hear you but it would still be valuable information for me to know the month/year date for the vehicles that are having problem now.

Give a shout out to @beta romeo and @crosshairs on the giulia forum as they are alfa techs and one is a prior Chrysler tech and they done dozens on our platform and probably hundreds on other. They should be able to give you some data.

There's also quite a few threads on that forum of failures so you can at least see the years

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Really doesn't seem like date of production is a contributing factor.

While there are exceptions to every rule, the majority of failures reported online are related to either the solenoid, or pump itself failing (which includes the scissor gear among other things), after about 30k miles, with most happening between 40 and 50k it seems like. Though that is hard to really judge considering the fleet as a whole doesn't have a lot of cars over 80k at this point. 50-60k is probably the most common high mileage on the new generation of Alfa's. That is a guess though, and again not trying to say exceptions don't exist, they absolutely do.. regardless the majority of failures aren't happening to cars with less then 30k miles. Those that are... Tend to be more random, IE: the pump coming apart.. loose bolts...more along the lines of a defect or misassembly. The failures above 30k however, have not been due to misassembly or would not appear to be defects by and large.

Either/both of the most common failures can fail for many reasons, among those being dirty oil/grit in the oil, either plugging up a screen or causing problems when the dirt gets into tight gearing/causes the gears to have to work harder then designed. There are other ways it can cause the parts to fail also.

Consider that Alfa has issued a new part number for a revision which includes a different type of fixed screen.

The screen keeps out dirt. Again.. dirt is a known cause of these problems.

Maybe, just don't let anything get dirty by not waiting 10k to change the oil.

Heres another question..might be more important to have a real answer.....

How many cars that have had thier oil changed more frequently then 10k have had problems?

Legit question.. I can't find any. Not just Alfa, any brand really... People who change the oil sooner don't have engine problems.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Here's some people to inquire with. Low miles (8k to 20k) and high miles (20k to 50k). All years.

·
Registered
‘18 Stelvio Ti Sport fully loaded It’s a DRIVER!
281 Posts
Yep I have read those and thanks for the Alfa tech members handles.

I obviously am concerned with this particular issue since it has the potential to brick the engine and I have 69.2k on the engine.

I plan on getting an extended warranty but need an inspection first. I plan on doing that at 70k

Reactions: bhvrdr
41 - 46 of 46 Posts