Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just traded in my 2017 Giulia for a 2020 Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edition and love it! Except last week, the day after I pulled the car off of the lot, the check engine light came on along with the yellow "A" which stated the Auto Start/Stop Feature was malfunctioning. Tried to pop and close the hood, tightened gas cap (since other posts indicate that could cause the issue), but no luck. I brought the car right into the dealer and they stated that they ran the code and it came up with P0301. They said it's "common on the new Stelvio's and it needs to be driven more to resolve itself." They cleared the code, and I didn't quite buy that idea but I went along with it. Long and behold, same thing happened yesterday - check engine light back on and the "A" indicator again. Any ideas as to what the issue is? The vehicle has literally 183 miles on it now and it seems to run just fine - no rattling, loss of power, or anything of that nature. Thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Sal

·
Registered
162 Posts
The only time my 2019 Stelvio ever had any codes like that was a day after a pump jockey (no self serve gas in Oregon) filled it with regular rather than premium. A fill up with premium took care of the problem.

So I wonder if there is wrong or bad gas in your Stelvio. After 183 miles there should be room to top up the gas with the good stuff just to see if that helps.

And as for the dealer's excuse, I don't remember anyone here reporting a similar problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The dealership really needs to take care of this for you but if its a single cyl misfire always on the same cylinder youd probably want to check in this order...
1. Spark plug (inspect and if looks fine swap it with another cylinder)
2. Coilpack (swap to a different cylinder you swapped the plug to.)

If the cylinder misfire doesnt go away and stays on cyl 1 then it look at injector and inspect the bore/piston

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the info! I've only filled up once and used 93 octane from Shell gas. I've always used Shell and didn't have this issue with my Giulia (same engine). Waiting for the service manager to call me to discuss and I'll mention all of this to him - including suggesting the spark plug/coilpack swap.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Run out the entire tank of whatever was in there and start fresh. Probably all it is or a defective part. Doesn not sound major.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just spoke with the service manager at the dealership and he told me that a lot of times, the cars sit on the lots for a while before the're sold. That "weakens the battery" which can cause codes to be spit out and the check engine light to turn on. He told me as long as it's running fine, which it is, to clear the code myself - just took care of it and took the car for a spin. All seems well. If it happens again, I'll have to make an appointment and bring the car in. If/when that happens, i'll see if I can get a new battery out of it since they're insisting that's what the issue may be. Also, once i'm due for a gas fill up, I'll take the car to a BP instead and try their 93 octane. Thanks again!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use Shell 92 octane and have never had a problem with it. So I doubt your first fill up at Shell is the issue.

As for the "weak battery" you should consider getting one of those volt meter / usb charger devices so that you can monitor the battery voltage.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Very, very good chance the service manager is correct.

Get a battery tender, or...drive for a while at very slow speeds.

Been driving around with a scanner attached to the OBD plug, trying to figure out how the smart charging algorithms work and it seems like if you drive below 30mph the system runs at full strength and charges the battery to full very quickly..then holds it there. Above 30mph it charges slower, the faster you go the less it seems to charge the battery.

I would guess, like most people, you dont spend much time driving below 30mph. (On the street I only hit 30 on my way to 45 most of the time)

I do. When I go off road, 25mph is fast, so I spend alot of time at low speeds, which is why (I think) I've never had even a hint at a battery issue.

Maybe go for a slow cruise somewhere. I'de suggest finding an off-road trail that isnt too challenging..then have some fun.

Mud works too...these cars love getting dirty...clean up well after.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you don’t experience a rough idle or a miss under load, then you can probably rule out the ignition system. I have come across a “chuggle”, which is exactly how you imagine the word, on very light accel at highway speeds. 55-65 here. But not in an Alfa. That minor misfire was enough to set a misfire code. That was a secondary ignition problem but didn’t have the noticeable miss. I had one vehicle with a 4 cyl. that kept popping a single cylinder misfire. Under 4,000 miles. A real hair puller! Finally, with some help from an engineer, it turned out that a bolt securing something internally wasn’t tightened, fell out, and nicked the side of 1 cam lobe. No damage to the face of the cam. That was the culprit, though to this day we don’t know why. Also, there wasn’t enough noise to cause the ignition to be retarded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts