Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trofeo White car has a colour difference on the bumpers(fenders)
The rear bumper is darker than the side panels as is the front bumper but its more subtle.

Dealer has said its because they are using different materials.

I have told Dealer and Alfa that I am not willing to accept that a premium car is two different colours.

I will be pressing them to replace car but I would have to choose another colour any comments on your car colour would be appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The rendering of a color on an automobile is never exactly the same on bumpers and doors for example because the supports are composed of different materials (plastics for bumper and steel for the doors).

So there is always a significant difference in visual rendering, even on cars such as Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley etc ...

I have a Porsche 991 in addition to the Stelvio. The white of the bumpers is not exactly the same as that of the bodywork whereas it is the same painting done the same day in the same factory ...

·
Registered
241 Posts
The rendering of a color on an automobile is never exactly the same on bumpers and doors for example because the supports are composed of different materials (plastics for bumper and steel for the doors).

So there is always a significant difference in visual rendering, even on cars such as Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley etc ...

I have a Porsche 991 in addition to the Stelvio. The white of the bumpers is not exactly the same as that of the bodywork whereas it is the same painting done the same day in the same factory ...
Same with my 2008 Miata. The rear bumper color is slightly different than the body. Need to check my Audi.

However, the difference is not that noticeable.

If it bothers you then you need to take action.

If you have not taken delivery or taken delivery within the last 3 days, then return the car.

If you took delivery longer than 3 days ago, ask for a re-spray.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI in the last 30 Years I have Had Porsche, Jaguar, Audi and Mercedes all premium brands and Honda, Mazda, Ford Mini that aren't and i have never had two tone car but maybe this is a new thing with all the different materials being used.

Regarding returning the car In UK if your car has a fault you can ask for your money back in the first month then 1-6 Months you have to give dealer the opportunity to solve the issue if they can't you can have money back or replacement.

I have had the car 5 months but i noticed the different colour recently.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
My Trofeo White car has a colour difference on the bumpers(fenders)
The rear bumper is darker than the side panels as is the front bumper but its more subtle.

Dealer has said its because they are using different materials.

I have told Dealer and Alfa that I am not willing to accept that a premium car is two different colours.

I will be pressing them to replace car but I would have to choose another colour any comments on your car colour would be appreciated.

For my point of view, go to a professional bodyshop and ask for an evaluation, after that call directly the alfacare.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
it's happened since they invented plastic bumpers.
the degree would vary with color and finish.
I have trofeo white on order, have seen the difference, and chose to accept it.
if the quads came in plain white maybe it would be much less apparent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I see this mostly on whites, or maybe it stands out to me more? Particularly metallic or "pearly" white. I also see where it gets more "pronounced" over time perhaps it fades in sun/weather quicker than the other parts of the vehicle. I personally do not like white cars at all and have never owned one (sorry don't mean to offend anyone).

The other thing to investigate is the possibility of "rail dust" from travel/transit that "sticks" more to the plastic parts of the car giving it a different "hue". Try running a clay bar over the bumpers to see if it looks different after...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I inspected the car thoroughly when i picked it up.
Also within 2 days it had the full Gtechniq treatment and we didn't noticed the difference.

I also wash and polish myself and only started to notice a month ago, I think the darker panels are changing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I inspected the car thoroughly when i picked it up.
Also within 2 days it had the full Gtechniq treatment and we didn't noticed the difference.

I also wash and polish myself and only started to notice a month ago, I think the darker panels are changing.
Could be, do you garage it or is it kept outside? Usually the fading doesn't happen so quick, I see it more on 2-3 year old cars. Plastic is painted differently/more layers a lot of the time. Over time as the plastic expands and contracts it changes the property of the paint and thus the shade.

A lot of people like white cars (like my husband) because they say white does not show dirt or imperfections as much.
Maybe its me but I see the opposite, I notice dirt, discolorations, and imperfections more in some whites...

·
Registered
250 Posts
The car is in the garage when not been driven.
How long have you had your Stelvio? I can't imagine it faded/changed color that quickly especially if its mostly garaged..
I would keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse to you..always look at it in the same light/angle to compare over time.

Maybe they can repaint them for you? Do you have the metallic white? Metallic whites are one of the hardest paints to match though so unless its really noticeable and bothering you I would leave it. If it is bad paint it will eventually keep fading/failing and Alfa should repaint the whole car under warranty. Paint is covered right?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IN Uk i can reject the car and i have started the process.
What I have decide is do I take a replacement or my money back.

·
Registered
250 Posts
IN Uk i can reject the car and i have started the process.
What I have decide is do I take a replacement or my money back.
Oh OK, in US any manufacturer would probably not replace or take back a vehicle over paint, they would say they would repaint it and fight.
Good luck, are you going to stick with white if you get a replacement? I would check other dealers white stelvios to see if you notice the same thing..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Dealer had a white in stock exactly the same so it will be another colour I like the greys but i need to see one first.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My Dealer had a white in stock exactly the same so it will be another colour I like the greys but i need to see one first.
I don't want to talk you out of white :) but I would probably want to try a different color too.
I'm not a fan of greys either but both of the greys (stomboli and Vesuvio) do look very nice on the Stelvio. The one Stelvio I saw in the wild was one of those greys (not sure) and I liked it more than I thought I would. My tastes are a little "wilder", I like the blues, greens, reds...

You should definitely look in person, I find colors I don't think I like online but when I see the entire car with the other parts to contrast I change my mind. Hopefully you have a dealer close with most of the colors in stock for you to look at before deciding..

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
they all look good, and dark colors always show curves and dirt more - and I'm looking forward to someone getting a unique and briilliant wrap on one, rather than the clear protective wraps.

maybe a matte finish primer white? someone on the giulia forum is upset because their trofeo white is more shiny after a proper wash.

·
Registered
250 Posts
they all look good, and dark colors always show curves and dirt more - and I'm looking forward to someone getting a unique and briilliant wrap on one, rather than the clear protective wraps.

maybe a matte finish primer white? someone on the giulia forum is upset because their trofeo white is more shiny after a proper wash.
I never thought I would like a matte color on cars (I like to detail and like the shine) but the last few years at the NYC car show I have seen a lot of the high end cars (Mercedes, Audi, and BMW) have matte painted version of their cars displayed and they looked awesome! Definitely a different look to what I am used to but they had a MB AMG GLA in a matte dark silver and it was stunning with black accents. Was really impressed with how it looked. So stealthy...

What kind of wrap would someone get besides a matte finish one? Do wraps affect the paint underneath if you decide you don't want it anymore?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I thought about doing a matte yellow to match my car or maybe a matte orange. Something wild.

A wrap will protect the paint underneath and keep it looking pristine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I thought about doing a matte yellow to match my car or maybe a matte orange. Something wild.

A wrap will protect the paint underneath and keep it looking pristine.
When you take the wrap off the paint is the same as when you put it on? How are the wraps actually put on? Is there adhesive?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have not done it - but have been told you peel it off, even years later, and the paint looks like new.
of course it provides no accident protection, so in that situation you've lost your paint and your wrap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts