Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys ,

I have been looking to purchase a Stelvio in the next few months and I would like to know if there are any issues with the Panoramic sun roof.

I have also noticed that this is only an add on over 1500$ and not included in any of the packages.

·
Registered
536 Posts
NO issues with mine love being able to open it.

Hi Guys ,

I have been looking to purchase a Stelvio in the next few months and I would like to know if there are any issues with the Panoramic sun roof.

I have also noticed that this is only an add on over 1500$ and not included in any of the packages.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sometimes it's better for features to not be included in packages, at least that's my humble opinion. Hate how they sometimes bunch up a few useless features with what I want.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
No issues, and love the roof, wouldn't own a car without at least a glass roof, preferably one that either opens or folds down!

Only "gripe" is that the sun shade looks like cheap material. On my Evoque the shade was completely opaque and reflective on top, so it really helped keep the interior cooler when you left the car somewhere on a hot summer day (and immediately opened before I would even consider driving), this shade I can see pinholes of light through the cloth weave. Since I rarely close it (usually driving the convertible roadster in the summer), it's a very minor gripe!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
We specifically did NOT* want a roof for several reasons and we're pleasantly surprised that Stelvio had lots of options without one. It was the thing that irked me about XC60 more than the iPad touchscreen interface.

And I am thrilled at the standard dark tint + windshield heat feature to reduce a/c load in summer. The fan and a/c are exceptional too- climate control system is versatile, quiet, and strong on Stelvio.

*Better COG saving 100 lbs or so, better headroom, no 'sunshades' to allow heat in the vehicle, no complex mechanical mechanism, no wind noise, no potential leakage. In our vehicles we never opened them one time- both have their had pre-cancer and the wife is menopausal to the point of any ray of sun makes her crazy (don't tell her I told you this)- why I sold my Miata a few years ago. And the most important thing is being able to use the roof bars for a ladder, building materials or a Christmas tree without risk of an expensive repair to a glass roof- most important to me is cargo versatility.

Anyway in my case less is more!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like the panorama roof for the looks alone- both inside and outside. The black roof is an awesome contrast with the Misano Blue paint. I live in Austin, so I may come to regret possible heat build-up- but for now I am very pleased!

·
Registered
49 Posts
We specifically did NOT* want a roof for several reasons and we're pleasantly surprised that Stelvio had lots of options without one. It was the thing that irked me about XC60 more than the iPad touchscreen interface.

And I am thrilled at the standard dark tint + windshield heat feature to reduce a/c load in summer. The fan and a/c are exceptional too- climate control system is versatile, quiet, and strong on Stelvio.

*Better COG saving 100 lbs or so, better headroom, no 'sunshades' to allow heat in the vehicle, no complex mechanical mechanism, no wind noise, no potential leakage. In our vehicles we never opened them one time- both have their had pre-cancer and the wife is menopausal to the point of any ray of sun makes her crazy (don't tell her I told you this)- why I sold my Miata a few years ago. And the most important thing is being able to use the roof bars for a ladder, building materials or a Christmas tree without risk of an expensive repair to a glass roof- most important to me is cargo versatility.

Anyway in my case less is more!
I totally agree. I got mine without any sunroof or panoramic roof.

The panoramic roof on all 4 of my prior BMW X's broke in some form, either the motor failed for the glass, the motor for the sunshade failed or the sunshade came off the tracks. This isn't something specific to BMW because I test drove a bunch of CPO Cayennes and Audi Q7's before deciding on the Stelvio, and one of each model I tried out had an issue with the panoramic roof. If all the other luxury manufacturers have some form of issues with the roof, I had no hope that a first run model from a company that never made an SUV would get it right.

Plus the wind buffeting when the panoramic roof is open in every SUV that I've ever been in has been unbearable. I always had to crack open a rear window a bit to deal with it.

For the record, I currently have a panoramic roof on my wife's BMW X1 and the only reason we have it, is because it had the option already installed on the dealer lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all great feed back guys. Without the sunroof/pano roof , does it feel cavernous? I am looking at some videos and it seems pretty dark in the cabin. I guess i like alot of light in cars and I feel it might get claustrophobic?
do you guys feel that way?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
all great feed back guys. Without the sunroof/pano roof , does it feel cavernous? I am looking at some videos and it seems pretty dark in the cabin. I guess i like alot of light in cars and I feel it might get claustrophobic?
personally I think it does, but it's not just this, most SUVs make me feel like that without large glass roofs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it's fine, but I've also realized that I never use the sunroof or the panoramic roof on any of my cars. It's funny because up until recently, I always required it on my cars. Now, not so much. If the car comes with one, great, if not... no big deal.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I do feel like the dual sun roof opens up the feel of the Stelvio interior - I like them, but also of note, I'm a convertible guy (in the past, 2 Alfa Spyders, a Miata, a 650 BMW just given up, and a Saab 9.3 convertible in the driveway (not the garage, anymore, alas), so I just like to see the sky (ex outfielder).

But I think mostly its a personal thing. The elderly gentleman that use to own Warner Hall at Gloucester Point, VA, told me that he had in 70 years, never owned a hardtop. My father on the other hand, never owned a ragtop...

I do not think I've ever felt that the interior is somehow dark or cavernous, even at night in the dark of the mountains and a new moon. There is a whole lotta space in the vehicle, so unless there is some kind of Monk thing going on in the background (no disrespect to Monk/TS, or anyone), I would not see someone feeling claustrophobic in a Stelvio hardtop.

Ciao,
Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts