Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Stelvio for a month and this just started happening: When I come to a stop at an intersection in D (Engine Stop/Off). The parking sensor activates even though there is no car in front of me or behind me. The car graphic appears on the screen with a red warning area in front, audible beep and the words "please check entire surroundings," or words to that effect. Had to turn off Park Sense. Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've had my Stelvio for a month and this just started happening: When I come to a stop at an intersection in D (Engine Stop/Off). The parking sensor activates even though there is no car in front of me or behind me. The car graphic appears on the screen with a red warning area in front, audible beep and the words "please check entire surroundings," or words to that effect. Had to turn off Park Sense. Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Thanks.
We certainly understand why this would be concerning, wassei1. If you're not able to determine a cause based on suggestions from fellow forum members, we recommend connecting with your local Alfa dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance. If you end up working with your dealer for this, please know that we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like there might be some water in the sensor. I'm upset to say that these front parking sensors are SUPER sensitive to rain and water (after, say, a car wash). On my dry commute home yesterday, my front sensor kept tripping (with a constant tone). I had washed, dried and driven the car (with no sensor issue) two days prior. Of course when this happens, I pressed the "mute" button (above the stop/start), but that's only good until the next time you brake. You have to go into the AlfaConnect system to turn it off completely (which I normally don't want, but might be forced to if this issue persists).

When this happens to me, I ensure the front sensors are clear and dry (via leaf blower/microfiber/etc.). This seems to help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like there might be some water in the sensor. I'm upset to say that these front parking sensors are SUPER sensitive to rain and water (after, say, a car wash). On my dry commute home yesterday, my front sensor kept tripping (with a constant tone). I had washed, dried and driven the car (with no sensor issue) two days prior. Of course when this happens, I pressed the "mute" button (above the stop/start), but that's only good until the next time you brake. You have to go into the AlfaConnect system to turn it off completely (which I normally don't want, but might be forced to if this issue persists).

When this happens to me, I ensure the front sensors are clear and dry (via leaf blower/microfiber/etc.). This seems to help.
Thank you for this reply. It makes perfect sense because I started to have the issue after I took it to my local car wash for the first time. There was a message on my steering wheel info screen about something blocking the sensors. When I checked, both sensors were clear and dry, but I wiped them down anyway. Didn't seem to make a difference though, so maybe the water got into the sensor behind the bumper.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We certainly understand why this would be concerning, wassei1. If you're not able to determine a cause based on suggestions from fellow forum members, we recommend connecting with your local Alfa dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance. If you end up working with your dealer for this, please know that we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
AlfaRomeoCares
Thank you for your reply. I will ask the dealer to check on it when I bring it in for regular servicing.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
@wassei1 it happens when it rains (or car wash) or in a very hot day (front sensors false alarm). After they sensors get wet, you can dry them on the outside (as you did) but you still get the issue because evidently the water gets behind them and causes the problem. Once they are dry again, the sensors behave as expected. If you find that a software update helps or something else, let us know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@wassei1 it happens when it rains (or car wash) or in a very hot day (front sensors false alarm). After they sensors get wet, you can dry them on the outside (as you did) but you still get the issue because evidently the water gets behind them and causes the problem. Once they are dry again, the sensors behave as expected. If you find that a software update helps or something else, let us know.
Thanks for the reply. If I find a fix to the problem, I'll let everyone know. For now, I'm driving with the sensors turned off.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Because of this issue, I've gone through two tow hook license plate holders. One expensive one that scratched my front bumper and kept falling sideways when I washed my car, and one inexpensive one that set off the front parking sensor. I went back to the dealership plate holder, I tightened the screws to the max and now when it rains hard the front parking sensor doesn't go off when I am at a red light or stop sign.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the same issue with my factory front mounted plate holder. The dealer only used the top two screws to hold the plate. I put in the bottom two tightend it up, problem solved. I figured the plate was probably vibrating and setting it off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same issue with my factory front mounted plate holder. The dealer only used the top two screws to hold the plate. I put in the bottom two tightend it up, problem solved. I figured the plate was probably vibrating and setting it off.
That's a good point. I had to mount the plate holder on the front myself. NJ dealer only attached a temp plate in the rear and left the front holder off. I attached the front plate and frame to the holder with two screws on the top and drove around that way for a few days, no problem. I debated whether I should attach the bottom as well, but decided to just bolt the bottom of the plate and the frame together and leave it that way. Soon after that, I experienced the problem. So it could be the bottom of the plate, frame and bolts vibrating on the holder setting it off. I will remove the bottom bolts and see what happens. If no result, I'll try screwing the bottom of the plate and frame into the holder like you did. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because of this issue, I've gone through two tow hook license plate holders. One expensive one that scratched my front bumper and kept falling sideways when I washed my car, and one inexpensive one that set off the front parking sensor. I went back to the dealership plate holder, I tightened the screws to the max and now when it rains hard the front parking sensor doesn't go off when I am at a red light or stop sign.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't use the bottom screws on the plate holder but only bolts to keep bottom of frame and plate together. After I used the bolts is when I started to have the problem. It's also when I had my first car wash, so it could be that as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had the same issue. Stopped at a traffic like about 10ft behind another car and my front sensor goes off and the screen blinks with the car sensor image a few times.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
It seems a design flaw. It is probably worth a recall. See what @alfaromecares think. The front sensors seem susceptible to being wet. False alarms when wet, OK when dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What bugs me about the parking sensor system is that it’s not smart enough to turn off the FRONT sensor when you put the vehicle in REVERSE. Every time I get into my car in the garage and put the car in reverse the system immediately starts warning me - as if I’m going to pull forward and hit my beer fridge.

The system obviously doesn’t engage any of the sensors when the vehicle is in park so why wouldn’t it only activate the rear sensor in reverse?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Things I have done to resolve issue:

1. Waited a number of days after carwash for sensors to dry out. Result: no effect.
2. Removed bottom bolts securing license plate to plastic plate frame to eliminate vibration. Result: no effect.
3. Screwed bottom of plate and frame directly into license plate holder to eliminate vibration. Result: no effect.

At this point, at least the sensor is not sounding alarms at traffic stops. It just displays a message on startup that the sensor is blocked. Upon examining the front bumper and grill, I have concluded based on observation that there are four parking sensors in the front. Two are on the ends of the bumper, which were pointed out to me by the salesman, and I believe there are two more mounted in the grill about six inches on either side of the triangle. After mounting the license plate holder, one can observe that the left sensor is slightly obstructed by the holder. Soon after I mounted the plate holder is when I started to experience the sensor problems. Therefore, I'm fairly confident that the mounted plate holder is the culprit. There is only one way to mount the holder as far as I can tell, and I followed the phone instructions of the service manager. Of course, I could still have done it wrong, but I don't think so. Removing the plate holder is not an option since I live in a state that requires a plate mounted in front. Since dealer is 40 miles from me, I'll just have to wait until the first service to get it resolved.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
There is a way for a tow-holder to mount the plate right from the edge of the plate up. This way it will not block the front sensor nearest the plate @wassei1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a way for a tow-holder to mount the plate right from the edge of the plate up. This way it will not block the front sensor nearest the plate @wassei1.
I'm not sure what a tow-holder is? Can you supply a link to one? Another member, @LIStelvio516, mentioned using one, but said he had trouble with it.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some links from the forum @wassei1:

'Original' bracket if you got one (comes with the car) does not go into the tow hole:

https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/124451-post28.html

Tow hole solution. There are a few around. Just make sure you attach the plate to the tow holder (though the tow hole, two on the front, cover by black circles) by one corner, the plate going up.

https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/185-exterior/7633-tow-hook-license-plate-holder-3.html
Thanks for these. I think I just wait until my first service and see what the dealer says. I'm a bit leery about causing bumper damage with other alternatives because it's a leased car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts