Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm looking forward to picking up my new 2020 Stelvio ti lusso this week from an Alfa Romeo dealer in the region. Besides a thorough test drive and inspection, is there anything else you folks would recommend that I do?

I've read that this model comes with free maintenance for the first year/10K miles, but I haven't heard from the dealership on this. Have any of you received the free maintenance... or not? In my case, I will need to service it at another more local dealership, so it would be great to get something in writing.

Elsewhere in this forum, I've read that the auto start/stop function can play havoc with the electronics, which makes sense. More fundamentally, I never want this function on, so one of the first things I'll do is to buy the Start/Stop Deactivator to permanently shut it off. Any other hints or suggestions like this would also be most welcome!

I'm happy to join the group. Photos to follow!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi,
Congratulations on the new Alfa! I’m sure you‘ll love it. I have a 2019 Ti Sport and the first service at 10k was free..not sure if that is still the practice but if not I’m sure you can negotiate for it. I do have a couple of recommendations based on my delivery experience.
Make sure they initialize the sunroof, windows, steering, etc.. these systems all need to be gone through prior to delivery. Also check the battery.. they disconnect it for shipping and the connections need to be checked... I’m not sure if the Varta battery’s still an issue but this would be a good time to check for it. Also this is a good time to rate the dealers service department.. how they handle delivery will be a good indication of how they will handle issues as they arise.
Thats about it.. good luck with the new ride. Don’t forget the photos.. I love that lusso interior!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ask that they put the battery on a charger, fully charged at delivery, not just check that it is good. Dont accept delivery without this done.

Buy a trickle charger and use it.

you have all software updates. Don’t know what version you are on for the infotainment.

Also make sure that tire pressure has been lowered seems lots of cars are getting delivered with high tire pressures used for shipping and storage.

Plug in the emergency tire compressor, make sure it works. Did you get the compressible spare? I’d pump that up to make sure it doesn’t leak.

Have fun!

Reactions: TMK and Enigma

·
Registered
431 Posts
Congrats and welcome! The free first year/10k maint should be an item on the window sticker (the monroney)---was for my 2019. I assume AR is still doing it. Agree with Peter A on the tire pressure set too high. Is a common dealer/shipping practice to help prevent flat spots if cars are just sitting on the lot too long.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tire pressure was already mentioned but verify that the oil level is correct as there is no dipstick on the base engine and the sensor is notoriously finicky.
My dealer also did a poor job for prepping the exterior and ultimately agreed to ceramic coat it at their expense...
Bottom line is that unfortunately you shouldn't just expect the dealer to do a thorough delivery prep...inspect instead of expect...depending on the dealer...

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI Silverstone Gray Metallic/Red/Black
276 Posts
The 1 year/10K complimentary service is still valid. I also have a 2020 and the dealership confirmed this with me last month when it's time. Enjoy your fine Italian machine! Andiamo!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
Congratulations on the new Alfa! I’m sure you‘ll love it. I have a 2019 Ti Sport and the first service at 10k was free..not sure if that is still the practice but if not I’m sure you can negotiate for it. I do have a couple of recommendations based on my delivery experience.
Make sure they initialize the sunroof, windows, steering, etc.. these systems all need to be gone through prior to delivery. Also check the battery.. they disconnect it for shipping and the connections need to be checked... I’m not sure if the Varta battery’s still an issue but this would be a good time to check for it. Also this is a good time to rate the dealers service department.. how they handle delivery will be a good indication of how they will handle issues as they arise.
Thats about it.. good luck with the new ride. Don’t forget the photos.. I love that lusso interior!
HI RD, These are excellent points... and I will definitely check the battery. Many thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi All, I'm looking forward to picking up my new 2020 Stelvio ti lusso this week from an Alfa Romeo dealer in the region. Besides a thorough test drive and inspection, is there anything else you folks would recommend that I do?

I've read that this model comes with free maintenance for the first year/10K miles, but I haven't heard from the dealership on this. Have any of you received the free maintenance... or not? In my case, I will need to service it at another more local dealership, so it would be great to get something in writing.

Elsewhere in this forum, I've read that the auto start/stop function can play havoc with the electronics, which makes sense. More fundamentally, I never want this function on, so one of the first things I'll do is to buy the Start/Stop Deactivator to permanently shut it off. Any other hints or suggestions like this would also be most welcome!

Check tire pressure off the boats it is always wrong and the dealers dont really do a true dealer prep

·
Registered
6 Posts

do they not have 2021 available?

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
465 Posts
I would say if you have ever considered ceramic coating the car, it would be much easier and require less effort getting road contaminants off of the paint surface now while it is low mileage. Enjoy the ride!
I'v e seen some comparisons on You Tube that rate Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray coatings not only to be the easiest to use but also one of the least expensive and longest lasting .Spray it on and just wipe it off! I'm going to try it but I'm not sure how warm it needs to be to apply it.

·
Registered
2020 Ti Sport Q4 - Visconti Verde
85 Posts
There is a VAST difference between spray on wipe off products versus a true ceramic coating. A true ceramic coating needs to cure for 48 hours minimum to create a protective coating. The spray on wipe off product is more like a quick wax than a ceramic coating I would say. That would be good to use AFTER having a real ceramic coating done to restore.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
465 Posts
do they not have 2021 available?
I bet they do, BUT the 2020s are being HEAVILY discounted and are virtually the same as the 2021 models. A 2021 would cost a lot more for the exact same 2021 car. I got a $51K Ti model a for slightly over $40k with dealer discounts and factory rebates just after Xmas. Later found out that it was a September 2020 build. In fact ,when I tried to build it on the AR site, I had to use the 2021 model to be able to configure it as listed on window sticker.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
465 Posts
There is a VAST difference between spray on wipe off products versus a true ceramic coating. A true ceramic coating needs to cure for 48 hours minimum to create a protective coating. The spray on wipe off product is more like a quick wax than a ceramic coating I would say. That would be good to use AFTER having a real ceramic coating done to restore.
The Turtle wax product held up better than Optigard. Ive never liked any Turtle wax polishes or waxes,But iIam going to try this one. $15 on Amazon

·
Registered
20 Posts

You will love the car. A couple of things. First spend the extra $1500 or so to get the clear plastic layer on as much of the car as possible. We did the nose and mirrors and rockers. The auto paint now is garbage and chips like hell! We've driven our '18 Quad across country and back without needing a repainted nose. Second, check to see what battery is installed. The Varta battery is junk. Some dealers are simply installing Interstate AGM batteries from the start. Why wait for it to fail? Ours died in Telluride for the fourth time. Long drive back to Park City. Dealer in Salt Lake (actually very good) said battery was fine, no sale! Also, put fresh batteries in both key fobs every year. The fobs don't simply die, they get all funky and you can't figure out what the hell is going on.
Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts

I received my 2020 Stelvio TI Sport in September 2020. I ordered the all weather mats and had the front windows tinted to match the back windows. Alfa Romeo has a cool car cover. These are wants not necessities. Enjoy your car!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts