Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quadrifoglio wiping the floor with a Macan Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want those wheels for my Misano Blue/yellow caliper Stelvio!

·
Registered
763 Posts
That’s a pretty good video, but they pretty much cover the difference between the two and the similarities.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
what is good about that trilogy of videos is that it shows the stelvio to be capable of nicely controlled oversteer.
virtually all of the press intro videos gave the impression that oversteer was very suddenly/abruptly corrected by instant transfer of power to the front.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
what is good about that trilogy of videos is that it shows the stelvio to be capable of nicely controlled oversteer.
virtually all of the press intro videos gave the impression that oversteer was very suddenly/abruptly corrected by instant transfer of power to the front.
because on the non Q, you can't turn the TCS off, so it will not allow you get it very sideways. In the snow it'll allow a small Scandinavian flick and hold the read out a little, but not very much

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
well yes, I was referring to stelvio quad videos, where although the drivers claimed to be in race mode, the 'corrections" were quite abrupt. could be just a matter of driving .... style.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well yes, I was referring to stelvio quad videos, where although the drivers claimed to be in race mode, the 'corrections" were quite abrupt. could be just a matter of driving .... style.

I was interpreting that part as the exact same experience we are having with our more pedestrian Q4's-- a slight tail wag and then the AWD kicks in which allows good 'feel' and 'feedback' but keeps us out of trouble; more pronounced and obvious in the video at 90++ MPH where things happen faster. The Quadrafoglio's have RACE mode that disables all of the electronics-- skid control-- however he was not running in RACE mode at the time (I do believe).

The roads were absolutely miserable coming in to work this morning (Happy Spring!) and I was enjoying the same slight delay which I so appreciate that gives feedback to the driver and also keeps things on track. Every time I drive in crappy weather, I appreciate Q4 a little bit more! In a straight run at 55-60 in rutted snow and slush it is very stable.

Steering feel (braking too) is excellent and also it is quick and tight but not so tight as to be 'twitchy' or invite overcorrection that get you into trouble-- I am really loving this vehicle and the obvious elegant engineering that was put into it. It occurs that the carbon fiber driveshaft, being lighter, permits faster response when AWD is needed (less mass to move).

Much as I have always loved my Jeeps, Stelvio has proven to be ideal for our needs these days and still delivers average 26 MPG.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to add... new info to me that the trans in Quadrofolio is the same as in our pedestrian Stelvios and Guilias and also the same in the Hellcat Mopar products, SRT Hellcat products (including Jeep) and a wide range of other vehicles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

What this tells me is that in addition to being super fast in gear changes, it is heavy duty enough to handle the stresses of 500+ horsepower and track duty.

From an owner standpoint I love the intuitive downshifts and versatility and also the fact that it is well-proven for durability and reliability. Ben fatto, Alfa Romeo!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just to add... new info to me that the trans in Quadrofolio is the same as in our pedestrian Stelvios and Guilias and also the same in the Hellcat Mopar products, SRT Hellcat products (including Jeep) and a wide range of other vehicles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

What this tells me is that in addition to being super fast in gear changes, it is heavy duty enough to handle the stresses of 500+ horsepower and track duty.

From an owner standpoint I love the intuitive downshifts and versatility and also the fact that it is well-proven for durability and reliability. Ben fatto, Alfa Romeo!
Interesting read, it just confirms my thoughts that this is a very well-made transmission.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I know very well macan and 440cv too of course, cars are different, macan, she is much more polite and civil, with an education very strong, thanks to the dual cluck at trasmission and some other settings, macan change in race circuit, the feeling is very "911" and the performance go go go.
stelvio qv is a little bit brutal and sporty with different sensations, it's like being in the saddle of a black stallion.

for the zf hp8-700 automatic transmission is exactly the same with different setting that help change speed and reactions

I can confirm that with the last firmware upgrade the hp8 is like a ak47, bang bang bang

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
that transmission is in a whole heck of a lot of vehicles, with minor calibration changes.

v6 aside, the big reason for me wanting the quadrifoglio was the 4th mode - I consider it a big mistake that it wasn't included in the 4cylinder cars and stelvio.
when/where/if one choose to use it is personal, and I suppose some would never (my wife for instance), but to me it was important that it was there for when conditions allow it to be enjoyed.
not everyone enjoys getting sideways, and I only like it when it's intentional, but often enough I turn that stuff off on our car so I can enjoy proper/traditional responses to driver input.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice comparison. And - I can actually offer some some specific feedback as a former Macan owner. The Porsche is what you would expect - solid, luxurious, every button and switch perfect, great sounding exhaust, strong engine. I had a Macan S with the standard 6 cyl engine. That said - there was a certain numbness and matter-of-factness about the Macan. The Stelvio may have some cheaper plastic bits and pieces here and there, but it has far more personality. While I thought the PDK dual clutch transmission was pretty awesome in the Macan, the Stelvio's 8 speed ZF transmission is pretty remarkable and comparable in my rather naive opinion. I also feel the steering response on the Stelvio is superior as well, especially in "d" mode. And - you cannot beat the value - my Stelvio has every bell and whistle available and was $20K less than what I had spent on the Macan.
I am very happy so far, and no regrets on the purchase.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts

Technically it's not the same, the one for the Quad is the slightly beefier ZF8HP75 (2nd Generation) version which is rated for more torque (750 NM / 553 ft·lbf) than our "pedestrian" ZF8HP50 (2nd Generation) version which is rated for a more "pedestrian" 500 NM / 368 ft·lbf of torque.

The Quad engine would likely blow our ZF8HP50 transmission to pieces as it puts out 600 NM / 440 ft·lbf of torque to our "pedestrian" 415 NM / 306 ft·lbf engine.

So yes same transmission design, but just built up stronger for more power.

BTW, the Hellcat gets a ZF8HP90, and the Jeep Track Hawk actually gets the ZF8HP95 (2nd Generation)

and from what I can tell, the 2nd generation transmissions are slightly faster shifting, slightly lower transmission loss % (more efficient), and include the clutch pack disengagement when stopped that makes everyone think it's a dual clutch transmission.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well maybe the Stelvio is lighter and more agile during city driving, the Macan feels like a heavier car, but it is a tank at highesy speeds....you can be driving at 100 mph and it feels like nothing, but in the Stelvio....aftet 90 mph the wind noise is deafening!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well maybe the Stelvio is lighter and more agile during city driving, the Macan feels like a heavier car, but it is a tank at highesy speeds....you can be driving at 100 mph and it feels like nothing, but in the Stelvio....aftet 90 mph the wind noise is deafening!!!
Given the percent of time most people drive at 90 mph, I would say that is a fair trade. you can get away with 90 mph on a few roads in Texas where speed limit is 80 mph- but there simply aren't that many 80 mph roads in the USA.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Given the percent of time most people drive at 90 mph, I would say that is a fair trade. you can get away with 90 mph on a few roads in Texas where speed limit is 80 mph- but there simply aren't that many 80 mph roads in the USA.
:rolleyes:;) May or may not have done a ~150 mile round trip drive today where I averaged pretty close to 90, and the speed limit here in CT is 55 most of the way. I consider the signs more of a guideline for what speed you should drive when there's congestion :grin.

Reactions: Scalewoodman
1 - 20 of 22 Posts