Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. New to the forum, and my first post.
Can anyone elaborate on the Protective Clear Plastic Film?
Like where is it applied and so forth.
Thanks all

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Hi folks. New to the forum, and my first post.
Can anyone elaborate on the Protective Clear Plastic Film?
Like where is it applied and so forth.
Thanks all
Hi hmcs23 - Welcome to the forum. I just had a Ceramic Pro treatment on my Stelvio. Makes the paint look glossier and protects against bird droppings, road salt, etc. Really smooth to the touch. Another treatment is the Paint Protection Film (maybe this is what you are talking about). It protects against small pebbles and things of that nature (nothing big). In my area depending on how much of the car area is covered it goes from USD ~$100 -$6500 for the whole vehicle. The Ceramic Pro packages cost between USD~$1000 and $3000 depending on number of coats. Maybe other members can comment on the paint protection films. I am happy with my Ceramic Pro treatment.

Reactions: GIG5

·
Registered
191 Posts
Adding on to this, I just had mine done with a full body PPF (cost was $4,200)-- if it is painted it has a protective film on it. Doesn't change the look at all, but as Gator mentioned, will protect against small dings and self-heal from small tears over time. Also, since I have the Vulcan Black, it protects the paint from the swirls you get from washing it. I still would never put it through a machine wash, but would not be worried about taking it to a commercial hand wash location where I can't control the reuse of rags/sponges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi hmcs23 - Welcome to the forum. I just had a Ceramic Pro treatment on my Stelvio. Makes the paint look glossier and protects against bird droppings, road salt, etc. Really smooth to the touch. Another treatment is the Paint Protection Film (maybe this is what you are talking about). It protects against small pebbles and things of that nature (nothing big). In my area depending on how much of the car area is covered it goes from USD ~$100 -$6500 for the whole vehicle. The Ceramic Pro packages cost between USD~$1000 and $3000 depending on number of coats. Maybe other members can comment on the paint protection films. I am happy with my Ceramic Pro treatment.

Thanks Gator1.
The Protective Clear Plastic I was referring to was listed on the installed options on the vehicle sticker, but the salesman was very vague as to what is was, or even if applied. If indeed they already installed it then I would save some bucks on the installing another. Thank you again for the quick reply. :smile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adding on to this, I just had mine done with a full body PPF (cost was $4,200)-- if it is painted it has a protective film on it. Doesn't change the look at all, but as Gator mentioned, will protect against small dings and self-heal from small tears over time. Also, since I have the Vulcan Black, it protects the paint from the swirls you get from washing it. I still would never put it through a machine wash, but would not be worried about taking it to a commercial hand wash location where I can't control the reuse of rags/sponges.

Thanks Jay-Ten.
The PPF does sound like the way to go if mine doe not already have a film installed.
Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Thanks Jay-Ten.
The PPF does sound like the way to go if mine doe not already have a film installed.
Much appreciated
I see now. If dealer installed (whether actually done or not in your case it is a different question) it is probably Simoniz glasscoat. Most dealers will try to sell you that coating in-house since Simoniz only sells to dealers. I think it is not as good as the other protection techniques, but it is better than nothing. I had it done on my previous vehicle (BMW X3) but I really could not tell whether it was applied or not (probably just me). With the Ceramic Pro (and I assume PPF) you can definitely tell. Your dealer should have a record of the application anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see now. If dealer installed (whether actually done or not in your case it is a different question) it is probably Simoniz glasscoat. Most dealers will try to sell you that coating in-house since Simoniz only sells to dealers. I think it is not as good as the other protection techniques, but it is better than nothing. I had it done on my previous vehicle (BMW X3) but I really could not tell whether it was applied or not (probably just me). With the Ceramic Pro (and I assume PPF) you can definitely tell. Your dealer should have a record of the application anyway.

Awesome information.
Thank you so much. I will check with them, and if not then the PPF will be my goto.

·
Registered
508 Posts
To ALL ..... what's your experience with washing and cleaning on a full body protecting film? Waxing is eliminated, correct?? do you find yourself washing the car as before or do you do it less often?

Please share your experience, thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Waxing is definitely eliminated. Otherwise, I think washing comes down to personal preference. I don't feel a need to have the car sparkling 24x7 so I wash it every 3 weeks, but do think that the PPF helps keep it looking cleaner longer. And of course helps if I do get something nasty on there -- for example I've had paint damaged in the past from nasty stuff dripping on a car in parking garages.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gator - I know its been almost a year, but are you still liking your Ceramic Pro treatment? I am looking into it here in the Houston area and have found some pretty good price points. $1300 (5 year) to $1900 (lifetime) includes $290 initial detail/claybar etc. Both plans require an annual maintenance of $190.

How many coats did you get? The one here offers "Silver", which is one layer of 9H and one layer of Light. Not really sure what "light" means.

The gold plan has 4 layers of 9H and one layer of Light. Its $600 more.

I would consider gold if the difference in the glossy/shine is obvious. If its just about the product life expectancy, I will just go with the Silver. Because i wont have this ride forever.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It’s been a while since this thread was alive but I will share my experience with XPEL Ultimate PPF with Modesta ceramic coating on top.

1. Wax is not needed.
2. Water/rain beads incredibly. The coating was put on the windshield and even in moderate rain you don’t have to use the wipers. Rain just slides up the windshield and onto the roof.
3. It’s easy to keep clean.
4. Bugs are easily washed off the front during a gentle manual wash (I never use an automatic car wash).
5. I’ve even had a bug plastered front end be 95% clean after driving in the rain for 30 minutes. That was a nice surprise.
6. With Modesta coatings they recommend that after washing you use a couple of conditioning spray products to maintain the hyrophobicity of the coating. I have used them and after 3-4 months the PPF and ceramic coating seem to perform as well as day #1.
7. PPF and ceramic coating are pricey but they protect paint, make washing easier and keep the vehicle looking newer longer.
8. I did a ton of research before I took delivery and had it done. I didn’t know anyone who wrapped the whole vehicle in PPF like I did but I took a leap of faith and did it. I paid a lot of money for the SQ and I plan on keeping it at least 10 years so I figured what the ****.
9. So far I’m sold on it so when I buy my next premium vehicle (Giulia Quadrifoglio, NSX, Ferrari, maybe a McLaren.... I don’t know yet) I’ll definitely wrap the whole thing in PPF and ceramic coat it.

I hope this helps some of you.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Hi @GIG5, I got the gold treatment and I am very happy with it. If you will not have the car for a long time, I think Silver is sufficient. I agree with the comments by @StelvioQuad. I think Ceramic Pro and similar treatments are very worthwhile and a good investment.

Reactions: GIG5

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s been a while since this thread was alive but I will share my experience with XPEL Ultimate PPF with Modesta ceramic coating on top.

8. I did a ton of research before I took delivery and had it done. I didn’t know anyone who wrapped the whole vehicle in PPF like I did but I took a leap of faith and did it. I paid a lot of money for the SQ and I plan on keeping it at least 10 years so I figured what the ****.
Hey @StelvioQuad I’m picking up my Montecarlo Blue quad and am wondering how the wrap and Modesta is going now a year later. I really wasn’t planning on doing it, if I had I might have gone for the red instead which I originally thought was more difficult to keep clean. Would you still do a full wrap? Is the Modesta still obvious? Do you think it works better on certain colors? I’ll likely do Xpel Ultimate (front bits, mirrors, top of rear bumper) and/or Modesta. Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey @StelvioQuad I’m picking up my Montecarlo Blue quad and am wondering how the wrap and Modesta is going now a year later. I really wasn’t planning on doing it, if I had I might have gone for the red instead which I originally thought was more difficult to keep clean. Would you still do a full wrap? Is the Modesta still obvious? Do you think it works better on certain colors? I’ll likely do Xpel Ultimate (front bits, mirrors, top of rear bumper) and/or Modesta. Thanks!
The XPEL ultimate is still perfect 1.5 years later. It has actually saved the paint on more than one occasion. The paint looks just as good as the day I bought it. It was swirl free at delivery and still is now. I would certainly wrap the entire vehicle again. I carry kayaks on the roof and every once in a while one of the straps will slip out of my hand and will hit the paint but there’s no damage because the PPF protects it.

As for the Modesta coating,..... it still seems to be behaving like new.

I doubt the colour of the vehicle makes any difference but many members with Misano blue say it’s a soft paint.

Ceramic coating really does nothing to enhance paint durability so you will still get stone chips. It does however really improve the slipperiness of the paint so it’s much easier to clean and keep clean.

The PPF will protect against and eliminate damage to the paint in so many situations like: careless people in parking lots who let their bags and purses drag across your vehicle or if they lean on you vehicle with jeans with rivets or belt buckles etc. There’s not a scratch anywhere on mine after About 17,000 km (11,000 miles). The guy who wrapped mine was good and wondered why I bothered with the sides but that’s where strangers will carelessly damage your vehicle in parking lots when they are getting in/out of their vehicle. I would entirely wrap my next expensive car without thinking twice.

let me know if this helps or if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@StelvioQuad That’s perfect, thanks. There are some swirl marks on mine from the dealer( 14 miles!) but the guy said they can get those out with paint correction. Which I was expecting anyway. I totally get why you would do the sides given people’s carelessness, and I probably would if it were $1k but I think it’s closer to $3 or $4k added cost if not more. No idea. I like the guy I spoke with and he kind of just raised his eyebrows about the full wrap as if it’s generally not worth it, then showed me a gt3 they had just fully wrapped where it’s definitely worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts